JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I had a interesting and funny encounter today while getting gas.
I had some random guy walk up to me while I'm getting gas today and he tells me that me carrying my firearm openly was illegal. Mind you I'm in the middle of getting gas with pump nozzle in hand and no clue who this rando is.
So I tell him that it's not illegal and I ask him who told him that it was? At this point he kind of looks defeated and upset and walks away without saying anything else to me or anyone else, to which I didn't mind. Guessing he was anti 2A or just doesn't like guns and hoping people don't know the laws.
For context and history, I go lots of places with my OC sidearm ranging from gun friendly to non-gun friendly. Never had an issue before or have someone approach me about it, except a few who have praised me for having it.

What experiences have other folks out there had with things like this?

I had some random guy walk up to me while I'm getting gas today and he tells me that me carrying my firearm openly was illegal. Mind you I'm in the middle of getting gas with pump nozzle in hand and no clue who this rando is.
So I tell him that it's not illegal and I ask him who told him that it was? At this point he kind of looks defeated and upset and walks away without saying anything else to me or anyone else, to which I didn't mind. Guessing he was anti 2A or just doesn't like guns and hoping people don't know the laws.
For context and history, I go lots of places with my OC sidearm ranging from gun friendly to non-gun friendly. Never had an issue before or have someone approach me about it, except a few who have praised me for having it.

Who was it? Homeless? Weirdo tweaker dirty type? Weirdo hipster type offended at everything colored hair etc? Normal person?

What's the holster, level 2 or 3 retention?

EDIT: OC isn't for me, but I support those who choose to.
Currently I have a level 2 but I'm looking for a level 3 that's not to bulky.
Not everyone likes to OC and that's fine, I'll support flood however they choose to carry, legally of course(layers made us add that part) lol.

When I have OC'd I have never had to deal with being told it was 'illegal' by anyone - but I have dealt with some who were obviously shocked, asked me WHY I was 'doing it' and similar drivel.

When I have OC'd I have never had to deal with being told it was 'illegal' by anyone - but I have dealt with some who were obviously shocked, asked me WHY I was 'doing it' and similar drivel.
See I'm ok with people asking questions because at least they are trying to possibly learn.

Plenty of folks have asked questions when I OC'd.

They'd ask, "What'd I do wrong" or "Now what" or "was I speeding"....you get the drift.

OC in the state of Oregon is legal, but the law that it is within allows for cities to exempt themselves. PDX, Beaverton & Tigard have said no, but like you, I'll do it until I'm called on it.

See I'm ok with people asking questions because at least they are trying to possibly learn.
Although it doesn't happen often, since I don't typically OC in these parts of the U.S. (except while hunting and may stop in someplace or other for gas/food/etc), but when it does... it's usually someone pulling a "karen/ken" face asking passive aggressively.

My response: Smile politely and explain, "It's a mental health aide prescribed by my therapist. I can only tolerate 3 stoopid questions per day before I feel the uncontrollable urge to shoot someone. That's 2. Can I help you with anything else?" :D

Last Edited:
OC in the state of Oregon is legal, but the law that it is within allows for cities to exempt themselves. PDX, Beaverton & Tigard have said no, but like you, I'll do it until I'm called on it.
OC is legal in all counties and cities in Oregon, only thing that changes is how you can OC. Example: Portland/Multnomah county allow OC but with restrictions, "no chambered firearm" except for CCW holders. CCW holders are permitted to carry openly with a chambered round in all parts of Oregon.

Not quite open carrying but...
I often do get different reactions when out hunting on public land and I come across non hunters.
In general...a more neutral or curious attitude when I am carrying a muzzle loader and a more standoffish at best attitude when I am carrying a modern firearm.

The few times that I have been spotted actually open carrying has either been..."Nice gun"...meant in a good way...Or...
"Wow...I didn't know that you were carrying..." Or close variations of the above.

In any event ...
When out in public view with a firearm , no matter how it is carried...it is best to the most mellow and polite person around.
Andy

When asked why I carry a gun, I respond with, "Because the voices tell me to". People quickly go away and leave me alone.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top