JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't get how people 'don't get' Glock.

Glock changed the game, like the 1911 changed the game before that, every striker fired pistol on the market that isn't a Glock is effectively a copy of a Glock with some slightly different features or more appealing lines that make people like the look opposed the the square Glock.

I got into Glocks with their 3rd gens, 4's came out and although 3's functioned very well, the grips on the 4's work so much better for my hands that I made the switch. After 4 gen, nothing happened to the Glock so far that would matter to me.

Plus, they make "happy sticks" for the 9mm models which are of course, fantastic.

As much as I love glocks for full size carry, my micro carry pieces are Sig 938, use the right tool for the job that works best for you.

I don't get how people 'don't get' Glock.

Glock changed the game, like the 1911 changed the game before that, every striker fired pistol on the market that isn't a Glock is effectively a copy of a Glock with some slightly different features or more appealing lines that make people like the look opposed the the square Glock.

I got into Glocks with their 3rd gens, 4's came out and although 3's functioned very well, the grips on the 4's work so much better for my hands that I made the switch. After 4 gen, nothing happened to the Glock so far that would matter to me.

Plus, they make "happy sticks" for the 9mm models which are of course, fantastic.

As much as I love glocks for full size carry, my micro carry pieces are Sig 938, use the right tool for the job that works best for you.

Lots of people don't get Glocks because Glocks, unlike the 1911, just don't work well for a lot of shooters, and never have.

I get why the people who like them do like them. What I don't get is how many of those fans insist that if you don't appreciate Glocks, that it's not the many quirks of the pistols—it's on you.

And that's just d-baggery. The G17 became widespread here in the late 80s. I bought one in the mid 90s. My G20 had godawful bumps all over the grip and gave me "Glock knuckle" in extended range sessions and so I broomed it.

My next striker purchases weren't until late 2017. A 4" and 5" M&P 2.0 pair. It took that long for someone to bring to market a poly striker I could love. That makes them anything but Glock clones.

Lots of people don't get Glocks because Glocks, unlike the 1911, just don't work well for a lot of shooters, and never have.

I get why the people who like them do like them. What I don't get is how many of those fans insist that if you don't appreciate Glocks, that it's not the many quirks of the pistols—it's on you.

And that's just d-baggery. The G17 became widespread here in the late 80s. I bought one in the mid 90s. My G20 had godawful bumps all over the grip and gave me "Glock knuckle" in extended range sessions and so I broomed it.

My next striker purchases weren't until late 2017. A 4" and 5" M&P 2.0 pair. It took that long for someone to bring to market a poly striker I could love. That makes them anything but Glock clones.

Striker fired, polymer framed = Glock clone. It's ok to like something else, like I pointed out in my post, other brands have changed the angle of the grip, the lines, the aesthetics, but at the end of the day it's still just a striker fired pistol, which Glock made the first worldwide popular striker fired pistol before a lot of other companies caught on and refined the idea with their own "flare." As I previously pointed out, if a person doesn't personally like how a Glock feels in their hand, or looks, or how the trigger breaks, that's their opinion, but they should still appreciate what the Glock has done for the firearms community and how it revolutionized the industry. Even the M and P you appreciate was primarily inspired by the Glock so much so that they settled with Glock out of court an undisclosed amount of money because of how similar the design is. You can't blame Smith and Wesson though, when something is designed really well why reinvent the wheel.

I have heard many complaints about Glocks and I'm not invalidating their viewpoints, but for most shooters, it's not the gun, it's the person pulling the trigger that causes issues.

"My Glock shoots left" - trigger pull/press
"My Glock doesn't fit my hands" - find a gun that does, there are many brands and options, you can't make a Glock magically fit your hand better without trying a different model, maybe customing shaving or just acknowledging some grips suit individuals hands better than others and do a different brand.
"My knuckle gets rubbed by the trigger guard" - if you are holding it properly it doesn't jump around as much in your hand causing that, also, if you shoot enough, you get calloused and don't even notice it.

So I will reiterate, it's not that everyone must love Glocks. It's that everyone should respect what they have done for us in terms of the technology we have today for pistols and how they have spurned the market to innovate. Just like I don't own a 1911, and I really have no interest to either, but I sure as heck respect what the design did for the modern day pistol.

If we didn't have innovations like the 1911, like the Glock, or on the rifle side, like the M1 Garand, AR15, the AK etc.

We would all still be shooting lever actions and bolt actions because without innovation taking a risk and introducing a new type of action, design, type of
firearm etc to the market, we would still be using the same old stuff.

To say that the 1911 naturally works well for shooters and the Glock doesn't I think is really itching into the neverending debate of both.

Skipping that entirely, people are proficient with what they train on. If you train on a 1911 you will be proficient with one and it will work well as long as you don't have some elf hands that can't grip it. Same with the Glock. If you train with it, you will be proficient with it and it will work well (assuming no elf hands)

I think where a lot of people who shoot guns get into this method of thinking of "that gun doesn't work well for me" is lack of proper and adequate training.

No gun will work well for anyone if they don't invest enough time and ammo into becoming proficient with it.

I'm not disagreeing that individual hands can prefer one grip size or angle compared to another, however, the notion that you can take a group of brand new shooters and train them with a 1911 and it will naturally work better for them compared to the same type of training with a group of new shooters and a Glock is bologna.

People grow proficient with what they train at, it just depends on personal preference after that.

Technically VP70 clone, but you know. :rolleyes:

Yep, good designs follow good designs. Who made the design world famous though and adopted by major police forces, militaries and millions and millions of civilians?

If Glocks were not so popular you likely also wouldn't have the other brands creating there own versions of the design. That's the beauty of capitalism, innovation creates further innovation and the whole industry improves in what they are offering.

Think about it from a car perspective. We don't drive around in only black model T's anymore because other brands started offering options to customers and the whole industry improved what it was offering.

Like I said, love or hate Glock, you still have to appreciate what it has done for the industry. Even if they themselves were a copy of HK ;)

Yep, good designs follow good designs. Who made the design world famous though and adopted by major police forces, militaries and millions and millions of civilians?
It was Glock, but it was the VP70 who did striker fired and polymer frame first. Though weirdly enough, it was a Makarov that was the first polymer framed pistol. o_O

Now do I hate Glocks? Nah... Just not for me.

It was Glock, but it was the VP70 who did striker fired and polymer frame first. Though weirdly enough, it was a Makarov that was the first polymer framed pistol. o_O

Now do I hate Glocks? Nah... Just not for me.

Not disputing points made, however, unless an invention becomes highly popular, it rarely changes the industry because their isn't enough demand from consumers to inspire the industry to feel financially inclined to make innovations.

Hence: Glock made the striker fired polymer framed gun very popular, very in demand, as a result other companies followed suit who (had it not been for a competitor making a newer design/style very popular) would have probably never bothered to offer their version of it.

We can thank HK for possibly inspiring Gaston.

On this same topic, we can thank the minds behind the AUG for the bullpup industry, that gun was WAY ahead of its time and I am so happy that some major manufacturers finally started to develop additional options based on the concept.

AUG

FN FS2000

PS90

Tavor SAR

Keltec RFB

Keltec KSG

Keltec RDB

Tavor X95

Desert tech MDR

Tavor 7

Not disputing points made, however, unless an invention becomes highly popular, it rarely changes the industry because their isn't enough demand from consumers to inspire the industry to feel financially inclined to make innovations.

Hence: Glock made the striker fired polymer framed gun very popular, very in demand, as a result other companies followed suit who (had it not been for a competitor making a newer design/style very popular) would have probably never bothered to offer their version of it.

We can thank HK for possibly inspiring Gaston.
Think the point is missed... I was just joking around with the clone business. :D

I bought my first Glock for a throw around beat up gun. So instead sunk way to much money in it customizing it.
Then needed a new Glock for a throw around beat up gun.
Glock #6 will be my throw around beat up gun, I promise this time

o_Oo_O:s0125:

whyna heck can't they market a black or dark blued pistol instead of all the "dark earth", "coyote brown", "camoflage" and lordnose what other color on the palette???:mad: They even sell pink :eek: pistols for the ladies or whoever else ferpetessake!
That said, the lack of a manual or even grip safety puts me off Glock.. tho I do carry a G21 gen 3.

Last Edited:
To me, Glocks are alot like Nike shoes, I've never tried on a pair that felt good and fit well! Could be I just have weird hands and feet but the few Glocks Ive shot I didnt care for how it felt, just "something" about it! So I dont own Glocks or nike shoes. I love my M&P's and the best shooting most accurate pistol I've ever oened was my Browning Hi Power but i let that one go.
I havent owned that many pistols in my life time though. I can't knock either as tons of people swear by them, they just dont click with me.

I buy them because the blue labels are $399 ea and I can get the mags for cheap as well. Parts are plentiful and usually fairly cheap. Upgrade the trigger and sights, your in business with a reliable carry gun. I have other nicer handguns(all metal) but I hate carrying a cinder block around on my hip. Plus I don't really care if the glocks are ugly, they work. :)

To me, Glocks are alot like Nike shoes, I've never tried on a pair that felt good and fit well! Could be I just have weird hands and feet but the few Glocks Ive shot I didnt care for how it felt, just "something" about it! So I dont own Glocks or nike shoes. I love my M&P's and the best shooting most accurate pistol I've ever oened was my Browning Hi Power but i let that one go.
I havent owned that many pistols in my life time though. I can't knock either as tons of people swear by them, they just dont click with me.
DonC thats a big 10-4 on the HiPower;) I kept one and it too is my bestest shootin iron! -But no longer my EDC/Go To-
Who can guess what we might have at our disposal if John Moses Browning had lived in the era of Herr Glock? :D

Last Edited:
Amen! I sold my Browning to a buddy on condition if he sells I get 1st grab. 1st thing he said to me after he shot it is "that thing shoots like a laser"! I felt it did too, and I've never shot better with anything else.

Damn, Don C wrote exactly what I have a few times. M&P > Glock, Hi Power is the best shootin' pistol out there. Are you my long lost brother? :D

If it makes Glock fans feel better, the young man I hired recently told me he's going back to Glock from a Smith because Glocks are flatter, and he thinks it will conceal better. I won't hold that against him though. Least he's not one of those weird wheel gun cranks. Everyone knows anything under 16 rounds in a gun is just not enough :cool::s0084:

I'm confused by the huge Glock following. Yeah, they're solid firearms that'll take a beating and they're just a bit less ugly than HiPoint firearms but I just don't get the attraction. Yes, I've owned three Glocks - G21, G22, G23.

Every new model or generation they put out looks almost exactly as the previous model with maybe a couple improvements. Does that garner a huge following, what am I missing???
They're kind of the Honda of guns everybody makes aftermarket parts for them so they're great choice in the competition world.

Mkwerx if not then a brother from another mother, part of the Browning clan! Damn I should of kept that one!

I don't have anything against Glocks, might even buy one someday but we'll see, think I'd rather have another Browning HP! The thing I dont understand is how they "upgrade" from each mod to the next..ie, glock glock 4? add finger grooves to grip...mod 5, remove finger grooves from grip, maybe add more bumps/stippling....I'm not sure and probably need to better edumakate myself before speeking, maybe theyve had great improvements I'm unaware of.
Now S&W I saw quite an improvement between their M&P and the M&P M 2.0.
Maybe Smith just had more to improve upon I dont know but I bet I'll be hearing it lol! I'm not a Glock knocker and for those that love it, it obviously works well! I'd love it if SW had as many accessories, I'm not sure if theres a real big gap between the 2 there or not.

I gotta get off my butt, I'm heading out to DRRC in a few!
Have a great weekend!

Damn, Don C wrote exactly what I have a few times. M&P > Glock, Hi Power is the best shootin' pistol out there. Are you my long lost brother? :D

If it makes Glock fans feel better, the young man I hired recently told me he's going back to Glock from a Smith because Glocks are flatter, and he thinks it will conceal better. I won't hold that against him though. Least he's not one of those weird wheel gun cranks. Everyone knows anything under 16 rounds in a gun is just not enough :cool::s0084:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads