JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm confused by the huge Glock following. Yeah, they're solid firearms that'll take a beating and they're just a bit less ugly than HiPoint firearms but I just don't get the attraction. Yes, I've owned three Glocks - G21, G22, G23.

Every new model or generation they put out looks almost exactly as the previous model with maybe a couple improvements. Does that garner a huge following, what am I missing???

I'm confused by the huge Glock following. Yeah, they're solid firearms that'll take a beating and they're just a bit less ugly than HiPoint firearms but I just don't get the attraction. Yes, I've owned three Glocks - G21, G22, G23.

Every new model or generation they put out looks almost exactly as the previous model with maybe a couple improvements. Does that garner a huge following, what am I missing???
A Glock is kind of like a Kardashian, they're popular for being popular.

That's not to say they aren't good guns because they are, but there isn't really anything special about them compared to other good striker fired pistols. They're reliable, they have pretty crappy triggers, and they are accurate enough. They do have a huge aftermarket, so much so you can now build a "glock" without using any parts made by Glock, and Glock mags are pretty much standard in the PCC realm.

I'm assuming it has to do with them being plastic, in an age where even our currency is predominately plastic.
Same thing with 1911's, yeah they are great guns, but they aren't the end all and be all of pistol designs.

Honestly, the G18 and it's use in video games has a huge impact on today's generation.
Getting a military or police contract helps a lot with reputation as well.

I think I get it, I just don't necessarily care for it.

They're reliable. Maybe not as much as a revolver, but enough to rely on. The aftermarket is the largest in its class. Large enough that if you need some capability on a pistol, the accessory or adapter has probably come to a glock first. They're also stupid easy to work on.

The Glock was the first mass produced successful polymer gun. It is an ugly utility tool.
Use to be pretty cheap but today they are not. Many more striker fired polymer
guns on the market to compete against. I confess to once owning a model 17.
Sold it after shooting a buddies XDM. XDM was much more accurate.
I prefer the M & P myself. Better ergonomics, accuracy, and made in the USA.:):p:D

Absolutely. My M&P Pro was absolutely one of the most accurate stock pistols I've ever shot. The XDM's fit my hand perfectly. The 1911 trigger is simply amazing. Many have much much better ergonomics or triggers or what have you, but none have the sheer available modifications. You can make a glock into anything with well documented modifications and how-to's from both a duty and competition perspective. A lot more people shoot and carry glocks than probably any other pistol on the market - if you're willing to spend money on an already expensive pistol.

They work as a pistol is intended to do...
Parts are common...
Lots and lots of aftermarket accessories are available...

That said..they aren't for me...not a fan of plastic or polymer parts on guns.
'Bout the only "plastic" gun I do like is the Remington "Nylon" series of rifles.

Luckily for everyone , the world isn't limited to likes and dislikes when it comes to firearms....:D
Andy

Someone just getting into guns (like in the last 5 years) it would be hard to understand why Glocks are such a stand out for popularity. Those of us who are older though remember a time when plastic, cheap pistols did not rule the industry. Glocks were a game changer. They were not really the first plastic strike fire pistol but they were the first "good" strike fire to gain wide acceptance.

I am another one that owns several Glocks but don't care for them. When it comes to striker fire plastic fantastics I prefer the M&P guns hands down.... But before the M&P's I bought Glocks and I thought I liked the Glocks till I started shooting the M&P's The two Glocks I still own, one I own because its not worth much and figure it's good to keep around just as a pistol to leave someplace (like a cabin or family members house) The other one I keep around because I got so much money into it I can't sell it for enough to justify letting it go... even though I dont shoot it at all any more.

Form follows function and they function quite well.

Last Edited:
Glox are a lot like Porsche 9XX series cars. Hard to improve on perfection, so not much changes year to year.

Take the G20 for example. If the Nazis had them, way back then...well lets just say we'd all be spraken ze duetch now....but as you can see, we don't and that's why I can't spell it right.

We have a 3D printer at school...
I am so tempted to make a plastic flintlock pistol stock....and build a pistol around it...then stamp the barrel with "Glock" in Old English script....just to mess with folks.....:eek::D
Andy

Well have a 3D printer at school...
I am so tempted to make a plastic flintlock pistol stock....and build a pistol around it...then stamp the barrel with "Glock" in Old English script....just to mess with folks.....:eek::D
Andy
Careful, you may "trigger" some of your fellow educators. ("trigger"...you see what I did there?)

Andy

Don't do it!! You're in Washington State and someone would call the cops on you, you'd get fired from your job, and the local DA would prosecute you for child abuse!

Glox are a lot like Porsche 9XX series cars. Hard to improve on perfection, so not much changes year to year.

Take the G20 for example. If the Nazis had them, way back then...well lets just say we'd all be spraken ze duetch now....but as you can see, we don't and that's why I can't spell it right.
Porche, in moving from air cooled engines to water cooled, was like abandoning the plastic frame and going to all steel.

Andy
Confuse them, spell it Glöck. Show them what a "proper" grip angle looks like.

Yeah...no doubt...it would have to be a "Saturday project" if done at all....
Andy
Carve a prototype from a block of Fels Naptha and use shoe polish. (Take the Money and Run)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top