JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just because I like to gab...:confused: my opinion on the glock is ts the Smith &Wesson model 10 of the automatics. Like the model 10 it was made so simple to use that anyone can be trained with it. Point gun, pull trigger.:D

I don't get why anyone cares what anyone else likes.

Honestly though, I never really thought twice about them until I joined a SAR team and can now get $135 off for a first responder discount. Now there are a couple on my radar I might pick up.

The Left Coast Glock rep spoke at a club meeting last year; one of the things he told us about American-made Glocks...

The hardening process used in Austria isn't allowed here in the US, so US-made Glocks are different.

I've fired a good number of them and think they are a good gun, but the angle of the grip doesn't match my preference.

The Left Coast Glock rep spoke at a club meeting last year; one of the things he told us about American-made Glocks...
The hardening process used in Austria isn't allowed here in the US, so US-made Glocks are different.
I've fired a good number of them and think they are a good gun, but the angle of the grip doesn't match my preference.
Can you elaborate on the hardening process differences? Also, why not here in the US - Is it one where Austrian government restrictions did not allow the process to be exported? (Which I wish the US had done to a lot of the manufacturing processes we have exported....)

Can you elaborate on the hardening process differences? Also, why not here in the US - Is it one where Austrian government restrictions did not allow the process to be exported? (Which I wish the US had done to a lot of the manufacturing processes we have exported....)

I'll have to sit down on that one :D

Whatever they do to harden metal in Austria was nixed by our EPA. If I remember what the rep said; US metal parts on Glocks are good, just not as hard as Austrian metal.

Off-gasses from the hardening process is what the EPS found to be so terrible...:eek:

He passes through and speaks to us after the gun-free-zone Shot Show, I'll be sure to ask him.

"The Glock was the first mass produced successful polymer gun."
Actually the H&K VP-70Z preceded the Glock by years. If the operative term is "successful," yeah, the VP-70Z didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I like sub-compact and compact Glocks, and one of 3 models (G19.4, G30, G43) is my EDC (right this very moment G43), however I don't care for the full-sized or long-slide models.... those are FUGLY.

As for grip angle... meh, not a concern if compared to a Luger. ;)

Whatever they do to harden metal in Austria was nixed by our EPA. If I remember what the rep said; US metal parts on Glocks are good, just not as hard as Austrian metal.

Off-gasses from the hardening process is what the EPS found to be so terrible...:eek:

He passes through and speaks to us after the gun-free-zone Shot Show, I'll be sure to ask him.

They're not throwing Virgins into the fires again are they? :eek::eek: :(

I like guns. I like my Glock 17 & my 1911, my AR's and my AK. Thats why I don't debate the merits of one over the other. I like all guns, some just more than others. When I go shooting, for pistols, I usually take the Ruger LC9 that I carry a lot and the CZ 75b that I carry less often, once in a while I take the Glock. I take one of my AR's and sometimes my AK. I like guns that go bang when I pull the trigger, all these do, and I like guns that send the bullet where I'm aiming--if I do my part. All these do.

I like guns that send the bullet where I'm aiming-
excellent point!

for me, even after decades of familiarity and some serious training time, continued to provide my shooting style with what the Glock fanboys call "combat accuracy" and seem quite happy. Granted there is some cheer in a 'minute of cantaloupe' POI. However, I grew up on the notion of "minute of peach pit" defined as "target accuracy" and was never able to coax any of the various dozen I had, into providing such.

My loss, my frustration, my disappointment. Even from bench rest, a buddy's new G40 would not respond to my efforts for bowling pin accuracy at 50'. What the game demands, is 1 shot on each of 5 pins, knocking them off the table, and hit the stop plate, usually within about 5 seconds, before the other guy does. Even in practice and slow fire bench rest, I couldn't do the 1 shot/5 pins. Now they DO go bang-bang-bangity-bangbangbang/etc nicely, but that isn't the game. I finally sold off my little clutch in favor of something that served me better. YMMV.;)

I had heard way back that the Tenifer finish was discontinued here because it uses cyanide in the process.

Glocks are impressive for their reliability. If I had to do a 40,000 round marathon, I would grab a Glock. Having said that, the grip angle is off for me so I'll stick with my 1911's.

Can't disagree about them being a solid & reliable gun. It's the ONLY reason I'd buy one. Maybe have to allow myself to buy a plastic gun and try the S&W.

Glocks are like oatmeal for me; fills the hole, may even taste good when outdoors camping, but a steady diet quickly gets old wanting more substantial and a little variety..
I definitely do not see anyone exclaiming WOW, I just inherited Great, Great Granddad's Glock.

I bought my G19 for EDC... it worked like a revolver, point and shoot is important in a confrontation and I was always worried i would forget to take the safety off or that the safety would get bumped while carrying and I would suffer an AD, but it had a lighter trigger pull than any revolver I had used and it had high cap mags. I always like the Browning High Power for their innovation of hicap mags but never liked that DA/SA trigger.

Nowadays my EDC is a Ruger SR9c... same reasons as above but mine does have the manual safety if I wanted to use it. Because of arthritis I can't reach it anyway. :(

My USPSA and IDPA competition pistol was a Para P14.45 2011 that I had modified to have a 2lb trigger. Hard to beat that for accuracy. Then as I aged I switched to a Glock 34. They are very popular in IDPA but I never shoot as well as I did with the Para. Good enough for close action, but head shots at 25yds are unreliable with my Glock skills.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top