JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just put the loaded ammo cans in the trunk of your car and drive around Portland's crummy streets for a day.
No need to overload your dryer, all those pot holes will suffice.

brass is heavy. Spread them out evenly will reduce the unnecessary stress to the motor. Keep them stationary will create waterfall effect necessary for brass tumbling.
oh, ok, I see what you did right there...
The wood anchors/holds the ammo cans in one place, all equally spaced out against the drum.
So that makes my blanket idea an...oops never mind...
:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
@Letus - Please update your progress and post pictures of successful tumbling batches.
I'd rather not risk a functional appliance at my house. I get ~1,000 223 casings per session of tumbling with a Franklin rotary, which is plenty enough every few months.

Any body got any luck with Harbor Freight Walnut Tumbling Media? I am busy today but will post when I have time. By spacing them evenly, there is almost no stress, much less than a load of wet clothing

Any body got any luck with Harbor Freight Walnut Tumbling Media? I am busy today but will post when I have time. By spacing them evenly, there is almost no stress, much less than a load of wet clothing
That pet store/lizard stuff is much finer and will clean primer pockets, if you de-prime before tumbling.
I even mix in some corn cob to polish it...
works for me,
oh no, I think I just turned this thread into a tumble how-to fest.
:(

Last Edited:
That pet store/lizard stuff is much finer and will clean primer pockets, if you de-prime before tumbling.
I even mix in some corn cob to polish it...
works for me,
oh no, I think I just turn this thread into a tumble how-to fest.
:(
It's funny to look at that Amazon link "what other people viewed/bought".. everything we use to clean brass with.. nothing to do with lizards at all. lol

It's funny to look at that Amazon link "what other people viewed/bought".. everything we use to clean brass with.. nothing to do with lizards at all. lol

Dry or wet tumble your choice...

picture22.jpg

I'm just sayin'.

I picked the finer grit from Harbor Freight.
The gaps of the ammo can's lid is wide enough for all of them to escape.
However, I used rubber bands to tight one can and the result is good enough

9D7D6009-8B6B-4A75-A76D-27A0ECDB12C8.jpeg DA2E660F-21B8-4537-80F3-4C7DE5AB410C.jpeg 78F620B8-4015-44E5-89D1-BA9BF8E0D119.jpeg A6D09F18-EFBC-441E-ABFC-6DAF02D08A1F.jpeg

I picked the finer grit from Harbor Freight.
The gaps of the ammo can's lid is wide enough for all of them to escape.
However, I used rubber bands to tight one can and the result is good enough

View attachment 431968 View attachment 431969 View attachment 431970 View attachment 431971
Thanks for posting pics
I'm guessing the pics are the after, but without seeing the before, I'm sorry to say I'm not impressed with the results, knowing the effort you put into this project.
I built a vibe tumbler with a spare bowl and an exhaust fan motor that produce better looking brass.
Maybe try adding some NuFinish/OMS.

:D

Last Edited:
Thanks for posting pics
I'm guessing the pics are the after, but without seeing the before, I'm sorry to say I'm not impressed with the results, knowing the effort you put into this project.
I built a vibe tumbler with a spare bowl and an exhaust fan motor that produce better looking brass.
Maybe try adding some NuFinish/OMS.
This thread is about making a tumbler out of your dryer. I didn't say this is the best, and the media I was using is not the best either. I will work on this and will give updates, thanks for your posts.

For walnut media I use a couple of capfulls of mineral spirits for two purposes,
1) to help cut down on the dust
2) to give a shinier end result.
I do applaud your efforts to use what you have available to do the task at hand.;)
Good job.:s0155:

yea,

View attachment 431226

out of control washer with rock inside

When I was a kid I was in the garage and the washer/dryer was at the front against the wall. The washer started it's spin cycle and was wildly out of balance. It jumped away from the wall and was headed straight for my moms cherry 1968 mustang. Young 16 yr old me to the rescue. I jumped that washer and put myself between it and my moms mustang.

I was loosing the battle, it was steadily pushing me towards my moms mustang despite my best efforts. I was just about to become pinned between the out of control washer and the car when the washer used up all the slack in the electrical cord and unplugged itself from the wall. It took a little while to spin down, mean time it had me pinned to the front fender of the car.

Not sure what would have happened if that darn thing would have had another few ft of slack in that electric cord.

I was astounded by its power to steadily push me back despite my fervent efforts. I was not a 98 lb weakling ether.

Seeing that washer go out of control with that rock brought that memory back. When it happened it did not scare me, just surprised me. Back then I was to stupid to be scared of anything.

Later after getting my own house I always made sure the washer/dryer is not in the garage close to the cars and I am also sure to tie a knot in the washer cord so it has as little slack as possible just in case.

~

Last Edited:
When I was a kid I was in the garage and the washer/dryer was at the front against the wall. The washer started it's spin cycle and was wildly out of balance. It jumped away from the wall and was headed straight for my moms cherry 1968 mustang. Young 16 yr old me to the rescue. I jumped that washer and put myself between it and my moms mustang.

I was loosing the battle, it was steadily pushing me towards my moms mustang despite my best efforts. I was just about to become pinned between the out of control washer and the car when the washer used up all the slack in the electrical cord and unplugged itself from the wall. It took a little while to spin down, mean time it had me pinned to the front fender of the car.

Not sure what would have happened if that darn thing would have had another few ft of slack in that electric cord.

I was astounded by its power to steadily push me back despite my fervent efforts. I was not a 98 lb weakling ether.

Seeing that washer go out of control with that rock brought that memory back. When it happened it did not scare me, just surprised me. Back then I was to stupid to be scared of anything.

Later after getting my own house I always made sure the washer/dryer is not in the garage close to the cars and I am also sure to tie a knot in the washer cord so it has as little slack as possible just in case.

~
There's a story you don't hear very often! :D

E0D00B2B-C572-4C48-A3F9-06EEF88291AB.jpeg
Ultimate compound I have at home A8577E5E-FE9F-48B6-B75A-9BC4BB1F942C.jpeg
B1B74263-F233-4B38-BC4B-A35EA3C75C72.jpeg
Brass after 1 hr with Ultimate Compound added
They look good with my naked eyes. Pictures don't give them justice.

Lots of people use this small plastic drummed cement mixer from Lowes that's $199 when on sale.
Shop Kobalt 4-cu ft 0.5-HP Cement Mixer at Lowes.com

Once your wife sees what you're doing to the dryer, she'll leave and take all her stuff with her, and you'll have a lot more room :s0140:

I found myself with enough brass and didn't want to spend days tumbling it so hearing the same things I decided to brake out the mixer, unmodified.....not only does it handle massive amounts of brass, but it does and awesome job in a fraction of the time. I polished a 5gal bucket of 223 in 30 mins to like new condition.

I won' be using my tumblers anymore. The best part is no more media raining down from my case feeder getting everywhere.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top