JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been rolling my own for several years. I've only used a vibrating cleaner with various media like corn cob/walnut shells. Recently a forum member gave me some used brass that was the most beautiful I'd ever seen. I've decided to switch to wet tumbling, what size tumbler do you guys use? I see a lot of double 3 pounders for sale cheap but it doesn't look like they hold many cases. Suggestions? Thank you.

Good to know, how many pounds is it rated? Thank you.
LOL, no idea. I've loaded it to the top with brass, added a quart mason jar full of stainless pins, and filled with water and cleaning agents to cover the brass. My guess is I've had it between 25 -35 lbs, and tumbled it continuously for the max timer limit, 3 hours. I've done this perhaps a dozen times, and no smoking motor yet.
I short, the thing is a beast.

oremike, too much capacity for me, you're big time. Me? I just need smalltime! I see Harbor Freight has a duel 3 pound unit for $69.00. It looks small to me thou.

I have a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler. I've had it since not long after they came out, several years, and have used it a LOT. I have no idea how many hours it's ran, or how many loads of brass. It has been solid and reliable. The only issue has been the timer; it stopped working reliably a long time ago. Doesn't really bother me. I just watch the time and let it run for two or three hours.

Depends how many you tumble at a time.
I use the Frankford tumbler, and do anywhere between 300 (308 cases, etc) and 2K (9mm / 9x18 / 380) of cases at a time.
I'll use ~2lbs of stainless pins in the batch.
I second this. Mine has done an amazing job.

1650634198147.png I use a Lyman Cyclone. Might be overkill, from what you said, but I wanted a "tank" that would keep rolling for many years. Holds 1000 .223, I typically do about 1k of 9mm at a time. I don't think it's possible to overload it. 3 hour mechanical timer, and a really good belt drive motor. ( the weak spot in Chinese designs seems to usually be the motor, which you can pretty much plan on replacing Real Soon. )

I use the 15 lb Thumblers Tumbler

Same for me. Purchased through Brownells 5-6 years ago. Can do a pretty large amount of brass cleaning at a time. No issues yet, I've run it with SS pins, but I've heard others say that wet tumbling also works well without.

I use an old rock tumbler. it has minute rice, oatmeal, and a little dried rubbing compound in the drum. works like a champ.

note, small-batch loader here.

once fired .270 WSM ready to go.

20200925_134920.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR