JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a duffel bag with my "Artic Kit" all shelter and winter clothing and I have my GHB which is all hardware and food/raingear, both bags are in the rig in winter, come summer it is changed out for that climate w/ extra water/ bug dope/sunscreen, you get the picture

You bet I get the picture, as I know you do, but if you had to start with a bag what would be the third item you would put in it?

With a fire source being my first, my second would be water. Through purification, filtering or boiling, we need it and can't live without it.

Just an Idea to start a list. Any takers?

Actually a good question :s0155:. Since my rifle would be in my hand and my pistol on my belt, the first thing in the pack would be Ammo for them. 2nd, would be water and third would be something to keep my buns toasty! :s0113:

Forgive me if this has been thrashed to death but I couldn't find a tread that asked that question directly.

Perhaps a list that we all could add to and possibly take away from. I'll start, please feel free to elaborate on anything you wish to add.

#1-fire starting utensils.

I'm putting the GHB for my vehicle together as we speak. Here's what I put in my wife's (from memory, so I may miss a couple of items). It's intended to be able to get home from about 20 miles in.

Fire starting (bic lighter, four books matches, magnesium striker, and homemade firestarters from egg carton/laundry lint/paraffin).
Cheap multi-tool.
Knife.
250 lumen flashlight.
Emergency blanket.
Poncho.
3 Liters bottled water.
Gloves
Hat
Socks
Hand warmers
Two glow sticks.
Emergency 1st aid kit
GMRS/FRS transciever.
12 batteries (fit both flashlight and radio)

I'm probably forgetting some stuff.

Next up is finding the about 3000 calories of decent food to stick in there that will last long enough to not worry about it.

Why do folks buy cheap crap for a bag that is supposed to save their bacon???

My Leave the house Bag:
Non flashy black backpack
Couple hundred in 20s
Spare Loaded mag
Titanium Wave leatherman
AA Powered Dig Camera
AA powered LED Flashlight
AA batteries
Basic Lighter
Few black large Garbage Bags
Small pack of Baby wipes
Few packs of Almonds
Pack of Jerky
2 12oz Bottles of water
...in my younger years i had a few rubbers

Then I add what ever i need for the days activities.
Carrying around tons of gear every day would be a pita.

My ghb is merely my ultralight backpacking kit. Heavy packs suck. I know that I can move 70+ miles self sustained in comfort with under 8 pounds of gear. This weight is minus heavy guns of course. My sleeping bag, backpack, sleeping pad and tent come in at just under 6 pounds. The stove is a whopping 1.9 ounces. Water is kept in lightweight yet strong "rum runners" available at the Gresham liquor store or online. Water filtration is lightweight and convenient and weighs just over 3 ounces. One thing to keep in mind about ultralight gear, lightweight, durable, inexpensive; pick two.

If your looking to lighten you load I would recommend the following local manufacturers and retailers.
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com
Http://www.hikelite.com
http://www.westernmountaineering.com

Lots of good ideas. I have gallon jugs of water in the vehicle. Small packs with 2 liter water bladders with drinking straw. (I can fill the bladder and drink some from the gallon jug while walking.)

I have matches, lighter and a flint. 3 sources is better than one.

5 sandwich sized ziplock bags. (can be used to float the pack as well if needed)
Cabellas multi-tool.
Folding knife.
Duct tape
2 small bottles of super glue (Aka field sutures)
2 small bottles of 5 hour energy (I need the vitamin B if I'm going to make 10 miles a day!)
2-3 3,000 calorie protein bars.
2 cans of spam.
Thermal blanket
Fold-up poncho (fits in a container about the size of an Easter egg)
1 can of (crap, what's the name. Camp fuel. Gel type)
1 spool of twine (200')
1 250 lumen flashlight
2 tea lite candles
Ibuprofen (50 ct.)
Water purification tablets

That whole pack weighs about 6-8 pounds.

I also have a 6x8 dry box with 4' para cord strap for carrying on the shoulder.

Inside the dry box is:
2 additional speed loaders for my .357 Mag
6 rounds of #4 buck for my 12 gauge (Snubby break action thing, just legal length with scabbard.
Map of the area
Compass

I also always wear a para cord bracelet. (20' unrolled)

Things I want to add when money/time allows:
Good walking shoes
Black sweat pants/shirt
Sleeping bag (light one)
2 Meter handheld radio
25 more rounds .357mag
Army folding shovel
Canteen
Molle system to assist in carrying shovel, canteen, dry box, ammo, sleeping bag.

Guess I have one heck of a GHB that I keep in my truck. I'm Search and Rescue with Pierce County so I always have a full pack with me, along with some extra stuff. I don't have the list of everything in front of me but once I get one put together, I will do so.

Why do folks buy cheap crap for a bag that is supposed to save their bacon???

There could be a number of reasons for that.

First off, the intended use of the bag. If it's a get home bag, it is by design intended for short duration with a destination in mind that has the bulk of the preparation supplies. It's also in a location that is potentially subject to frequent theft. The needs may be different than a bug out bag designed for longer term survival.

Cost is a factor as well. I can save up for the Leatherman Wave at $80 or so (one of which I do have) or I can buy a $30 Gerber and, with the difference alone and a couple scouting trips to Goodwill, have the vast majority of the items for a fully functional Get Home Bag right now.

I'm not planning on bugging out, but if I were, my calculations would be different.

These are all excellent examples to draw from. Thanks much to all for contributing.
The reason I posted it is that it's a subject much talked about here and on other sites, but I hadn't seen content directly addressed here before. This could give someone just starting out an Idea as a basic starting point, or more advanced if needed. Again thanks to all for their ideas and knowledge, there is a wealth of it here. This is what makes this a great site.

John

This is a great micro-view subject and premise SRJ; there are a lot of good ideas on this and literally any discussion on the matter. I have learned something from this and every thread I stumble upon. Contingency planning will save lives.

I too have an circumstantial opinion (macro-view) that might open a few minds; I have 4 BOBs, each is an instrumental part of 4 different bug out plans which are based on how much time I have to initiate the bug out, which are all based on the the actual cause of the bug out or situation.

"Generally speaking", my bug out bags are what I take to camp; this gives me a general philosophy and plenty of opportunities to practice the very important/imperative load-out exercises.

Below is the breakdown and how much time I will have to initiate the bug out.

Everyday Carry (EDC)
Day Pack (30 min notice or less) unexpected & total disasters, gangs, hoodlums etc.
Over-Night (4 to 8 hours of notice) Own disaster; fire, earthquake, fumigate house, mother in law visiting, etc.
Long Term (3 to 4 days notice) National Disaster/move to a semi-permanent base.

The micro-view starts with the bare essentials to survive for one day and ends up with what looks like the Beverly Hillbillies (to include granny riding in her rocking chair) making their move.

Send a PM if my micro lists are something you are interested in.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews