JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to start reloading and want to know what a good setup is for a beginner. Not looking to spend a fortune but not planning on buying crap. Mostly looking to reload 223,22-250, 12ga, 20 ga, 40 for now. Who knows what later!

Any tips from you experienced guys is appreciated!

Thanks!

First thing I notlyiced is the mixing of apples and ornages. You will need 2 presses, one for rifle and pistol the other for shotgun. They are 2 totally different things.

To get started purchase the ABC of reloading or Lee's 2 edition reloading manual and read it cover to cover. Then go rad it again. Ifyou are still interested they we can talk about presses, kits etc..

re: shotgun,with the price of componentes these days,especially shot,saving money ain't gonna happen.IF you are wanting to tailor specifiic loads,etc,then it might be something to get into.
I"m basing that statement on comparing my loads with 'cheap' Gun Club shells.Actually they aren't half bad for blasting tin cans and busting clay birds.

Rcbs,lymann and hornady all make starter kits that come with a lot of what you need but not everything be prepared to have about $500 into it before you ever load your first round. If you still want to reload I recommend hornady they make good gear and the LockNLoad bushings are awesome on the single stage and progressive. Hornady has one of the best powder drops it drop very accurate and you can purchase metering inserts so you don't have to adjust every time you load a different with a different powder or weight.

I recommend starting here with this book. There is a lot involved with reloading - nothing too difficult, part science, part art, and all fun. Shotgun and Centerfire rifle/pistol are different breeds, and to begin with both would cost you a pretty penny. Typically people buy what they can and add to their collection of equipment over time.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadin...1349390264&sr=1-1&keywords=abc's+of+reloading

Good luck.

I bought a lee challenger breech lock press kit, i also use lee dies and accesories. 3 years in and still digging this press and have no need to change. best bang for the buck!

My first press was the redding t-7. That press doesn't get talked about much, but I love it. I bought all the other reloading supplies as I went.

Turret presses were all the rage back before Progressives became plentiful and affordable. Today one can buy an inexpensive progressive for just about the price of a turret.

Also consider that the Lee Breech Lock system and Hornady Lock N Load method have made die changes almost instantaneous and the systems cost far less than a turret.

Time's, they are a changing. :cool:

sorry for budging into your thread but are there any kits out there that have EVERYTHING short of bullets, brass and powder, to get started? from what research I have done, most, if not all are missing items that are needed most of the time.

sorry for budging into your thread but are there any kits out there that have EVERYTHING short of bullets, brass and powder, to get started? from what research I have done, most, if not all are missing items that are needed most of the time.

Just about all the major manufacturers, Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, and Lyman, have a "get started package". It may not have some of the more specific purpose tools, like neck turning, primer pocket uniforming, or flash hole deburring tools but most are all you need to get started. Just add the die set for your specific caliber.

As for what's "needed most of the time", that will depend on whether you're reloading for Hunting or the highest levels of Competition.

If I was to get started reloading, it would be 1 rifle caliber only so I will not need to be cranking out thousands of rounds unless 5.56 prices skyrocket.

Well, if you will not be reloading thousands of rounds, maybe the single stage press will be good for you. I reload 5.56/.223 on my single stage. Is very time consuming so I do it in stages/batches. I guess I can get a progressive to load faster but there is something about the single stage press that I like. I guess it's the whole simplicity of it.

I got the Lee press because it was not expensive thinking that I would upgrade in the future. Years later I'm still using it with good results.

I was thinking about just getting a Dillon 550 and being set if I want to load 5.56, or 40 or 45. what would I need other then the 550 press?

Scale, primer flip tray, caliber conversion, dies, reloading manual. I have the 550B, and love it. However, I would start on a single stage or a turret press, and learn on that.

thats a pretty nice starting set, its a shame though that there is only 3 rifle calibers listed.

personally theres a few things listed that i would change out. The case tumbler and seperator...for 200 bucks...bit much in my mind. You can get ones for 100 bucks that will be just as good (in my mind). I have a lyman turbo and it works perfectly. Then again i also only do ~150 pistol rounds at a time too. (it can probably do more but i clean after each range trip and sort by caliber so i dont get 9mm inside 45acp cases for example)

You get one set of dies with the set (dillon dies) but you can get Lee Dies for ~20 bucks cheaper for the four dies (includes crimp die) and plenty of people use them in the dillon 550 if you search around.

Still not a bad setup but you can cut the fat off a bit if you go for other options instead of all dillon/brian enos stuff. I went with a lee classic turret more just due to the way i prefer to prep my cases. I break everything up into plenty of steps but i dont reload all that much either compared to some people

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top