JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been pulled over twice since I've had my CHL, both times the officers knew i had a CHL before they came up to my window. I do the window down, lights on, hands at the top of the wheel thing too. Anyway, they both asked if I was carrying today, I said yes, they said good and let me off with a warning after checking my insurance. I don't know if having a CHL influences whether you get a ticket, but attitude certainly does.

It is not required by law in Oregon to tell them you have a weapon unless they ask. In Marion County on the concealed license application it says as follows on the front of the application:
"Also, if you are stopped by a law enforcement officer when carrying a handgun in your vehicle, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you notify him or her that you have a weapon in your possession, the location of the handgun in your vehicle, and that you have a concealed handgun license."

Well I've only been pulled over twice since I've been carrying in Oregon. Both times I never volunteered or was asked about any weapon that I was carrying. I do know that they knew about my permit when they ran the reg. Both times I was let off with a warning. :D

This has been covered a lot in other threads. While you are not required to tell an officer that you are armed, please remember that if an officer sees your weapon, he is not required to ask about your CHL status before drawing and pointing his firearm at you. Those that pretend that the presence of a legally carried weapon should cause absolutely no concern for a police officer-and, therefore, the officer should not be made aware of the presence of the weapon up front-are being purposefully obstinate. It is a weapon in the possession of a stranger with an unknown agenda. Without knowing a little more (ie. I have a CHL and the gun is right here), the officer should be cautious. By being up front, you are demonstrating that you are not a threat.

This has been covered a lot in other threads. While you are not required to tell an officer that you are armed, please remember that if an officer sees your weapon, he is not required to ask about your CHL status before drawing and pointing his firearm at you. Those that pretend that the presence of a legally carried weapon should cause absolutely no concern for a police officer-and, therefore, the officer should not be made aware of the presence of the weapon up front-are being purposefully obstinate. It is a weapon in the possession of a stranger with an unknown agenda. Without knowing a little more (ie. I have a CHL and the gun is right here), the officer should be cautious. By being up front, you are demonstrating that you are not a threat.

LOL. Wow! The police officer is a stranger also. Does that mean that we should have a firefight because both of us are untrusting of the other having a gun? There is some strange idea that the moment a police officers put's on a badge, it is akin to Clark Kent's transformation into Superman. Most police officers are good people, but so are most gun owners. I missed the part in the Constitution that allows a police officer to draw down on me because I own a gun.

So what if you are open carrying in your car? Should you just expect to be drug from your car at gunpoint?

I would also mention that when I carry a concealed weapon, I don't have a hat holster. It is concealed.

LOL. Wow! The police officer is a stranger also. Does that mean that we should have a firefight because both of us are untrusting of the other having a gun? There is some strange idea that the moment a police officers put's on a badge, it is akin to Clark Kent's transformation into Superman. Most police officers are good people, but so are most gun owners. I missed the part in the Constitution that allows a police officer to draw down on me because I own a gun.

So what if you are open carrying in your car? Should you just expect to be drug from your car at gunpoint?

I would also mention that when I carry a concealed weapon, I don't have a hat holster. It is concealed.

Cop in uniform=an arm of the government carrying out an official government duty at the time of the stop. That is a bit different than just anyone in a car (you know, from the cop's point of view). Additionally, the Constitutional argument is a crock and you know it. There are many things that are not covered in the Constitution--procedures for traffic stops being one of them.

There is a difference between the cooperative citizen who warns the officer, "I am a lawful gun owner and am armed. Note by my words and actions that I am not reaching for said weapon and cooperating with this stop." And the gun owner who may be barely cooperative and is armed but says nothing. If the police officer sees the gun (they are not always as concealed as people think), he may decide that drawing his weapon is the appropriate action. Remember, you are not privy to all of the factors that led to the stop, nor are you privy to all of the factors that an officer may be using to determine whether or not you are a threat. Your stop does not occur in a vacuum. You may have been stopped because you drive like poop. It may also be that there has been a rape/robbery/murder/burglary in the last few days and your vehicle vaguely matches the description. Throw a gun, which you failed to mention (and about 99% of the CHL holders do mention it), it is enough for an officer to reasonably believe that you are a threat. He may take you into custody at gunpoint until he has time, from a position of safety (ie. you in cuffs) to determine your intentions.

My method is simple. I just act like everything is normal and don't tell the officer anything unless I am asked. I really don't believe me legally carrying a weapon has anything to do with the officer and a traffic stop. Things have worked very well that way for me. I have never had a officer ask to see my weapon. I have never had a officer ask me to do anything at all with my weapon.

That is exactly the way I run it too. Haven't had a problem so far and I get pulled over rather frequently due to the crappy old vehicles I drive.

I think it would be best to avoid any surprises during the traffic stop

I was taking some pictures of an abandoned warehouse one night, I was in a public parking lot, and an officer drove by and pulled in to see what I was doing. He had the right to be reasonably suspicious because it's a quite part of a small town and no one really stops to take photos there at night. I told him I had a license and was carrying, he just asked me where and after it was clear what I was doing there he let me go about my business without incident.

I don't see any law requiring it, but as a courtesy, I would let the officer know.

My method is simple. I just act like everything is normal and don't tell the officer anything unless I am asked. I really don't believe me legally carrying a weapon has anything to do with the officer and a traffic stop. Things have worked very well that way for me. I have never had a officer ask to see my weapon. I have never had a officer ask me to do anything at all with my weapon.

Same here. I keep my hands on the wheel, window down, always courteous. The last time I was pulled over locally, I was coming back from a firearms training class in OR. I had a car full of ammo and four handguns. Never mentioned it, she never asked. It really had nothing to do with how fast I was going.

The last time I was pulled over (just 2 weeks ago) I was traveling through ID. ID highway patrol was very nice :s0155:. I never mentioned the loaded firearm in the car door, he never asked. It really had nothing to do with how fast I was going. I did think afterward that I should find out if ID has an "inform" law. I guess I could have given him my CCW with my license. I really didn't think about it as it's not required in WA. Anybody know?

I agree.

I know of a few people that have been pulled over while carrying, and when the officer asked for their license, they handed over both. Well, the officers would give them a weird look and say something to the effect of, "What are you giving me that for? I don't want that."

Don't worry about it unless they ask you to get out of the car, then you may want to inform them in case they spot a bulge in your clothing. Even that isn't necessary, but it's where I would make the decision to mention it, before I exit the vehicle.

x2.

I just received a moving violation about a week ago (first in about 10 yrs) by WSP. The subject never came up and I never volunteered any information.

IMO, why create a possible hassle with an unnecessary declaration?

Not to thread jack but I find it fairly uncomfortable to carry my glock IWB while I am driving since it digs into my back. I know this has come up before but is it legal to keep the pistol in a side pocket in the door or in the center console while driving? The RCW says on the licensee's person. What I have been doing is clipping the holster into my front pocket so that the pistol sort of hangs out. The downside is that its really no longer concealed.

Whats all your thoughts on this?

Not to thread jack but I find it fairly uncomfortable to carry my glock IWB while I am driving since it digs into my back. I know this has come up before but is it legal to keep the pistol in a side pocket in the door or in the center console while driving? The RCW says on the licensee's person. What I have been doing is clipping the holster into my front pocket so that the pistol sort of hangs out. The downside is that its really no longer concealed.

Whats all your thoughts on this?

Doesn't need to be concealed while you are in the vehicle, only if you exit and leave it in the vehicle.

You are OK as long as you meet one of the three conditions below.

RCW 9.41.050

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there,
or
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Same here. I keep my hands on the wheel, window down, always courteous. The last time I was pulled over locally, I was coming back from a firearms training class in OR. I had a car full of ammo and four handguns. Never mentioned it, she never asked. It really had nothing to do with how fast I was going.

The last time I was pulled over (just 2 weeks ago) I was traveling through ID. ID highway patrol was very nice :s0155:. I never mentioned the loaded firearm in the car door, he never asked. It really had nothing to do with how fast I was going. I did think afterward that I should find out if ID has an "inform" law. I guess I could have given him my CCW with my license. I really didn't think about it as it's not required in WA. Anybody know?

According to handgunlaw.us, you are not required to inform in Idaho.

...It may also be that there has been a rape/robbery/murder/burglary in the last few days and your vehicle vaguely matches the description. Throw a gun, which you failed to mention (and about 99% of the CHL holders do mention it), it is enough for an officer to reasonably believe that you are a threat....

This is begging for a new thread with poll. As I've read in this thread, it's running about 50/50.

FWIW, all the years I've been carrying (over 20) and all the stops I've encountered in those years (maybe 8??), I've never said anything and they've never asked. IMO, every officer should assume every law abiding citizen they pull over is armed as it is a right to be so.

WA: Each time that I have been pulled over while I have my pistol, I run through the protocol of notification upfront at the first opportunity. "Officer, at this time I am obliged to inform you that I hold a concealed permit and there is a firearm in the vehicle."

/knocking on wood

but still a good idea. I've only been stopped once while carrying. it was by a WSP and I didn't inform him and he never mentioned it. I happened to be the last one in a group going 70 in a 60 zone in my motorhome. All he did was notify me that my vehicle license had expired. Don't know how he saw that while he was stopped and I was doing 70. Just told me to get it renewed. The tag was gor June, but the actual exp date was June 22nd. It was after the 22nd, but before the end of June. Kind of a grey area in my book, but no ticket for speeding either.

In Okalhoma you are required to present your Drivers License and CCW Permit during any stop. Just don't reach for it until you have told the officer that you have them. Yep, hands on the wheel until the Officer gets to you. IMO

Many years ago when I first moved to Montana I was pulled over for doing 70 in a 55 late after a long shift working in the kitchen. I was half way finished with my shift beer and was certain I was going to get nailed for the open container. I was told to replace my CA plates as soon as possible because they would only bring trouble. Then I couldn't find my registration or insurance. Before I opened the center consul to look for my papers, I remembered my S&W 686--loaded and in a holster.

The night was going bad quick. I didn't have a CCW then, nor did I know that a gun in the glove box was not considered concealed. I thought I was going to jail. I told the officer that I had a gun and sat their with what must have been pretty pathetic look on my face. He asked for the gun, put it on the roof and asked if my papers were in the box, they were not. He gave my gun back and proceeded to tell me to slow down at night, there are too many deer. He told me to get my papers in order and to have a good night. He never mentioned the beer. Turns out it was legal then, not now.

It was then that I realized how much I loved Montana and still do today.

I think it is best to let a LEO know you have a gun when they are officially evaluating you so they don't find it first and stress out about your intentions.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top