JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree.

I know of a few people that have been pulled over while carrying, and when the officer asked for their license, they handed over both. Well, the officers would give them a weird look and say something to the effect of, "What are you giving me that for? I don't want that."

Don't worry about it unless they ask you to get out of the car, then you may want to inform them in case they spot a bulge in your clothing. Even that isn't necessary, but it's where I would make the decision to mention it, before I exit the vehicle.

I'm with Charles on this one... it can invite some awkwardness that just isn't necessary. Been pulled over twice since I got my CPL in WA and have not mentioned it ... but I also didn't get warnings, so maybe that would have helped? (doubtful). :s0131:

In the time I've had my CHL, I've been pulled over twice. In both cases, let off with a warning. In neither case did the officer give any indication of interest in my having a CHL or a firearm.

There is no law that requires people to volunteer information. However if asked you are required to produce the CPL.

Be polite, be honest, but also you need to look out for yourself. If you happen to get pulled over by one of the bad cops, if you open yourself up too much they can get you with all kinds of stuff.

Opening your window just enough to pass papers through is a good idea, as well as locking your doors. If asked to get out, grab your keys and lock your doors behind you and close it. If they ask if they can look in your vehicle, tell them politely no. Make them work for it. Don't volunteer any info. Questions for you to remember. "How can I help you?" (as soon as contact is made) "Am I free to go?" "Am I being detained?" If you are being detained don't say anything without a lawyer. Exercise your right to remain silent.

Cop in uniform=an arm of the government carrying out an official government duty at the time of the stop. That is a bit different than just anyone in a car (you know, from the cop's point of view). Additionally, the Constitutional argument is a crock and you know it. There are many things that are not covered in the Constitution--procedures for traffic stops being one of them.

There is a difference between the cooperative citizen who warns the officer, "I am a lawful gun owner and am armed. Note by my words and actions that I am not reaching for said weapon and cooperating with this stop." And the gun owner who may be barely cooperative and is armed but says nothing. If the police officer sees the gun (they are not always as concealed as people think), he may decide that drawing his weapon is the appropriate action. Remember, you are not privy to all of the factors that led to the stop, nor are you privy to all of the factors that an officer may be using to determine whether or not you are a threat. Your stop does not occur in a vacuum. You may have been stopped because you drive like poop. It may also be that there has been a rape/robbery/murder/burglary in the last few days and your vehicle vaguely matches the description. Throw a gun, which you failed to mention (and about 99% of the CHL holders do mention it), it is enough for an officer to reasonably believe that you are a threat. He may take you into custody at gunpoint until he has time, from a position of safety (ie. you in cuffs) to determine your intentions.

No, traffic stops aren't covered in the Constitution specifically. You got me there. lol.

You also bring up some good points concerning reasons for the stop beyond my knowledge. The officer may in fact be checking me out for another unrelated reason.

Maybe a quick story will give you some insight as to the reasons I choose to handle things as I do.

Not too long after I got my chl, my friend and I were pulled over. I can't remember the exact excuse, I mean infraction we were pulled over for. lol. They were basically checking us out because it was late at night, I believe. We had been on the road for hours from looking at a logging job a significant distance from our stomping grounds.

Long story short, my friend who was driving, notified officer number one immediately that he had a chl as our instructor had recommended. The officer asked him if he had a gun on his person or in the vehicle. My friend answered that he did have a gun under his seat. The officer yelled to his partner "HE HAS A GUN"! The situation quickly went downhill from there. Guns were drawn and my friend took a trip headfirst into the pavement courtesy of officer number one.

After that mess, I asked myself exactly how things could have went worse if the officer was not notified we were carrying. I could not come up with a way it could have went worse, which led to my current policy regarding traffic stops and notification of my chl.

My friend was so traumatized by those idiots that he never renewed his chl and was scared to carry again! I just chose to deal with it differently. Since that time about 13 years ago, I have been pulled over (but never ticketed) many times. I have never since volunteered that i have a chl, and have never had another problem. While I am certainly not stupid enough to think that every officer I run across would act as those two idiots did, I don't see a reason to troll for another idiot. Idiots are in no shortage these days in any line of work, and odds are I would find another one eventually! :)

By the way, when I say my gun is out of sight, I mean it is out of sight. I have a console that I carry my weapon in while in the car.

My friend answered that he did have a gun under his seat. The officer yelled to his partner "HE HAS A GUN"! The situation quickly went downhill from there. Guns were drawn and my friend took a trip headfirst into the pavement courtesy of officer number one.

I love it, because I've been told several times here in this forum that if I don't tell police I'm an armed CHL holder I'll find myself with my face in the dust with guns pointed at me. Like that's my fault for not mentioning it.:rolleyes:

There is no reason to mention it at all unless you intend to use it during the stop. Why would you?
I talked with a rookie in Arizona who said if he stopped someone and they had a CHL he would confiscate it and lock it in his squad car. "Why" I asked, "Well, he may get angry about a ticket and want to use it on me" he said.

Idiotic! They let just anyone wear a uniform?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top