JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A question in regards to concealed weapons and being pulled over.

Q- is it mandatory to let the officer know that you are carrying?

I understand that it would be a courtesy to do so if it isn't a law but if you have the proper permit then it shouldn't be necessary, right? I believe it would only add unnecessary stress to the situation if you are only being pulled over for a traffic infraction.

I've never been pulled over, but my opinion is that you should present your license, registration, proof of insurance and CCW. What it tells the officer is: "I am not a dirtbag"

They may already know based on your registration. If they know, it would be better that you tell them up front.

I have been pulled over several times and have always presented it to the LEO. They asked me where is it and then told me to leave it where it was. All of them were polite and twice I was told that more people should carry!

YMMV

This has been discussed pretty extensively on here before. The general consensus is:

-It's not mandatory to tell, but they will know once they run your plates.

-It's considered polite to let them know by giving them your CHL along with your license when asked for it.

WA: Each time that I have been pulled over while I have my pistol, I run through the protocol of notification upfront at the first opportunity. "Officer, at this time I am obliged to inform you that I hold a concealed permit and there is a firearm in the vehicle."

On each of those occasions I was let off with a warning for the (speeding, tail-light, etc). My perception was that informing them of the legit weapon eased the concern that I might produce a weapon during the administration of the traffic stop. With that unknown dismissed upfront, seems like the issues for which I was pulled over was not a concern.

/knocking on wood

I can count on one hand how many times I've been pulled over but I do have a script prepared:

Keys out of the ignition, windows down, interior lights on and hands in plain view:

"officer, I am licensed to carry a firearm in the state of OR/WA. I am currently armed. What do I need to do to make you most comfortable?"

Once I was asked to take it out and put it on the passenger seat.

The other time he simply asked me what I had.

I don't think it's a good idea to rummage around in the glove box etc looking for all of my documentation before the officer has approached the car.

The officer I have spoke with about this situation did not care either way. i.e. "I am not woried about the law abiding citizens. It is the criminals that scare me." In any case I always inform.

Keys out of the ignition, windows down, interior lights on and hands in plain view:

Interestingly I've also read that you shouldn't wind your car window all the way down or turn on your interior lights because there have been cases where this has been used by an LEO as an unlawful pretext to search a vehicle ("I saw/smelled something, your honor")

WA: Each time that I have been pulled over while I have my pistol, I run through the protocol of notification upfront at the first opportunity. "Officer, at this time I am obliged to inform you that I hold a concealed permit and there is a firearm in the vehicle."

What sense are you using the term obliged in? You aren't legally obliged to notify in WA unless you are asked.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction

I'm far from a lawyer so does the higlighted portion mean that every time you are required to present your license to an officer that it has to be combined with your CWP?

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction

I'm far from a lawyer so does the higlighted portion mean that every time you are required to present your license to an officer that it has to be combined with your CWP?

No that means if he asks for it you must present it to him and then only if you have a pistol concealed are you required to do so.

Interestingly I've also read that you shouldn't wind your car window all the way down or turn on your interior lights because there have been cases where this has been used by an LEO as an unlawful pretext to search a vehicle ("I saw/smelled something, your honor")

Yes that is true. However, there is nothing illegal in my car so it's not something I worry about. :cool:

I can count on one hand how many times I've been pulled over but I do have a script prepared:

"officer, I am licensed to carry a firearm in the state of OR/WA. I am currently armed. What do I need to do to make you most comfortable?"

Once I was asked to take it out and put it on the passenger seat.

The other time he simply asked me what I had.

I don't think it's a good idea to rummage around in the glove box etc looking for all of my documentation before the officer has approached the car.

That is exactly my plan too!

Most say you need to let them know, but a far as I've seen there is no law saying you have to legally tell them. But you will have to suffer the attitude if you don't.

I got pulled over a few months ago in Madras as I was passing through. My tags were expired(I thought I was good till the end of the month, not the date I renewed.) Any way I had two guns in the car, one in my bag in the back of my SUV and the other was behind my passenger seat in a pocket, loaded. The officer asked all the usual questions and grabbed my ID. He started to walk back to his car, stopped, and asked if I had any guns in the car. I said yes, and he had to do a double take and asked "you do?" I said yes told him where they were and said I have a permit. He asked for the permit, I gave it to him. He ran my ID. Came back and said thank you, and handed my stuff back and told me to make sure I get my new tags when I get back to town.

I didn't give him the info, and he was always really pleasent and nice.

My method is simple. I just act like everything is normal and don't tell the officer anything unless I am asked. I really don't believe me legally carrying a weapon has anything to do with the officer and a traffic stop. Things have worked very well that way for me. I have never had a officer ask to see my weapon. I have never had a officer ask me to do anything at all with my weapon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top