JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is the NW Firearms forum, so you guys do know it's snowing up here.
took my ol' M24 Mauser with Zeiss scope out to play in the snow
the German #4 reticle is one of the oldest out there, but still a great choice for a woodland hunting rifle.
In my woods, this is my favorite and quickest to use in low light under the double canopy tree cover.
In the snow, it is the best I've found on any of my scopes

I noted that my reproduction Zeiss Zeilvier scope on my '34 Mosin Sniper has a German #1 reticle
even the Russians and Finns found this style reticle superior in snow conditions back in the '30s

P1030618.JPG Zeiss German 4.jpg P1030889.JPG

rjmt

My elk and moose rifle sports this reticle. Ruger 77 (tang safety) in .338 WM and a Leupold fixed 6 power with said reticle.

Love this scope as it has always provided good solid results!

I prefer the German #1 reticle to be honest. Not sure why, but in a low fixed magnification scope I'd like a post reticle.

All this time I thought mil-dots were a means to measure distance of known size objects at a set magnification using miliradians. I've used the system, but find laser rangefinders to be easier.
Still nice to know how to use mil-dots and have em.

Not that I have em anymore but that may change in the future. Plus I definitely like math, its why I'm doing my own taxes from now on. :rolleyes:

I worked for the Government A&MM out of Chicago
the Army was testing portable range finders for the Infantry, I read the report - was not there personally
after days of testing the best of the range finders submitted by all international vendors at Aberdeen Test Facility,
an Army Major walked back out to his car and got his Bushnell Golf rangefinder out of his golf bag
it beat the best of the optics presented, the Army chose the Bushnell Elite 1500 golf range finder for their contract

if you're out in the bush, with no batteries, no laser, the Mil Dot works fine
now this is 2018, and I have batteries and a Bushnell

but being an old guy, I still have a Rem 700 .308 with an '80s ART scope on it, BDC calibrated for M118 LR out to 600 yrds
when your down in the mud, and all technology has failed, an old Rem 700 with an ART scope will still come through for you

rjmt

I have many German reticle scopes, learned to like them hunting at night in Germany. Now with old guy eyes I appreciate them even more. There is nothing wrong with a typical Leupold duplex but the heavy posts or posts with crosshairs the Germans prefer are superior in low light, complex background and/or poor eyesight really are the best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top