JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Germany is being strangled by the lack of natural gas being pumped from Russia because or Putin's war. I just read a story of BASF SE (German Chemical Co.), which is considering selling gas to Germany's grid for public consumption. This would be BASF's decision to further cut its gas-intensive ammonia production to enable the company to offer surplus fuel. Gas-intensive ammonia production is what is needed to produce nylon. Nylon is made from monomers, a combination of carboxylic acid chloride and amine. Amine is made from a reaction of ammonia with an alkyl halide. Does all this mean that the German made nylon-based polymer pistols like Heckler & Koch and Carl Walther are in trouble. Does this mean that their prices are going to be super expensive or will there be a reduction of production?

That is some seriously deep thinking there.............

I would guess EVERYTHING is going to be expensive if it isn't already by now.

I'd never buy a Turkish gun. Especially in place of a quality brand like H&K.
I was skeptical too, for a long time. But the quality of Caniks and Sarsilmaz (SAR) pistols -- if you're a fan of striker-fired polymer-framed guns -- is actually quite good. I T&Eed some Caniks, and then have a couple buddies with SARs. You'd be surprised.

Their qualityis certainly on a par with anything imported by Springfield Armory from Croatia, and although most don't always come with all the bells and whistles (factory night sights, optics cut, etc.) if you have never examined any, or shot even one, don't be presuming they're not quality pistols.

As far as compared to HK; well, I've been issued, carrying and shooting different HK products since '06 and never drank the Kool-Aid. Not gonna talk about the USP, HK-45, but as far as its plastic goes, they're good (the VP-9 is worthy, for sure), but yeah, they're still just plastic guns that don't really exceed anything made by Walther, S&W, SA, SIG -- and yes: Canik and SAR. (Having no experience with the new Taurus pistols, I can't in good conscience bring them into the conversation).

Can't speak to Girsan (EAA now, Beretta 92 and Browning HP clones) or Tisas ( its 1911s are getting good reviews) but they're not making plastic. Anyway, if you knew anything about shotguns, you'd know the Turks have been making superb shotguns for many years.

Back on topic -- I like what Walther has been putting out the past few years, the PPQs and PDPs are great plastic with excellent ergos and triggers. Really hope they don't have to hike their prices, but current events suggest otherwise.

Well, Deutschland, only one thing to do: bring back the Mauser C/96! :D

Kidding (well, kind of),. Interesting thread though. Makes you wonder what industries will be impacted.

I was skeptical too, for a long time. But the quality of Caniks and Sarsilmaz (SAR) pistols -- if you're a fan of striker-fired polymer-framed guns -- is actually quite good. I T&Eed some Caniks, and then have a couple buddies with SARs. You'd be surprised.
Not really I've handled all of those, still doesn't compare to quality manufactures, literally saw , sold, and handled some of those daily when I worked Cabela's. Fit and finish is OK at best metal quality is lacking compared to other manufactures. There is a reason the cheap shotguns fail so often. There ammo QC is also severely lacking, had some ZQI Turkish ammo that caused jams in four or five of my pistols that otherwise functioned flawlessly and had to have a wooden dowel placed down the barrel to hammer out the spent casings.

Already made the mistake of buying some of their crap in the past and I don't intend on making that same stupid mistake again.
They also support terrorism and aided those killing Armenian Christians.

Germany has a lot more to think about than pistol frames. They've been sucking up to the Soviet Union, then Russia ever since Willi Brandt was foreign minister, then chancellor. They have become highly dependent upon easy and discount hydrocarbons from Russia. Now they are in trouble, they finally came around to the side of Ukraine. They fouled their Russian mess kit. They've been embarked on a Green energy program, unrealistic in its goals and now they are finding out more about that. They are going to retain two nuclear plants slated for retirement, there is talk about firing up mothballed coal power plants.

It looks as if one of Putin's goals is to dominate Europe. He still faces obstacles. But he will do everything he can to destabilize the region. Hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian refugees forced westward is one method. Energy disruption / blackmail is another.

The Germans are building two new LNG terminals in northern Germany. Other LNG terminals are being built elsewhere in Europe. This may help, but LNG will be priced higher and buying it will be more competitive.

Re. availability of firearm product, who would've thought there would be worries about enough plastic pistols to go around?

I'd never buy a Turkish gun. Especially in place of a quality brand like H&K.
FYI MKE (Turkey) makes several hk guns under license from Hk and on hk tooling from Germany. Hk416, mp5 and others. Some of these guns were formerly imported to the US by Zenith which were well respected. They also make a ton of machine guns, armored vehicles, aircraft etc.

77F86F27-54C7-43DE-B111-2481A47BB208.jpeg

53847F77-5A8F-4167-A6D5-2CEC06E15CFD.jpeg

A52942E9-B515-484C-85B9-111D238032E8.jpeg

3C81DCEB-CCB4-4DC4-B4A0-7024E13BA52F.jpeg

AE94A924-D3D1-4178-A6B9-300ECE9DDFCB.jpeg

Last Edited:
Germany is being strangled by the lack of natural gas being pumped from Russia because or Putin's war. I just read a story of BASF SE (German Chemical Co.), which is considering selling gas to Germany's grid for public consumption. This would be BASF's decision to further cut its gas-intensive ammonia production to enable the company to offer surplus fuel. Gas-intensive ammonia production is what is needed to produce nylon. Nylon is made from monomers, a combination of carboxylic acid chloride and amine. Amine is made from a reaction of ammonia with an alkyl halide. Does all this mean that the German made nylon-based polymer pistols like Heckler & Koch and Carl Walther are in trouble. Does this mean that their prices are going to be super expensive or will there be a reduction of production?
Nah. Grip modules are easily sourced from all over the world. The data points can be sent digitally and frames rolling in a week.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top