JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grandson Anthony and I spent a good part of the day together today. He had no school today, so he went gro. shopping with us. After we came back, I made bacon sandwiches for both of us, then we went outside and split wood for a few hours. He's a very good helper, eager to work and never stops. We get to talk a lot while we are working. He asked me if I'd ever heard of a Panzerfaust. I was amazed to hear the question. This followed with, did I know what an MP40 is? He informed me that he plays a video game, "Call of Duty Vanguard." In this game, evidently they get a choice of weapons, and many of those featured are German. After the MP40 question, I asked him if they also had the MP44 in the game, and he said no. Then I said, "How about the Stg.44," which elicited a very strong yes. That one he knew well. Years ago, a friend of mine had a Dewat MP44, it was an early one and so marked. So I sometimes forget that this run was renamed Stg.44 as the first "assault rifle." He told me he has been awarded "gold camos" in the Vanguard game but I don't know what those are.

While we were splitting wood, Anthony started singing, "Ericka," a German folksong that was adopted as an army marching song. Once again, I was amazed, and he knew most of the German lyrics to the song. Where would kids get this German stuff? You'd think all that would be forgotten by now.

Kids that age are sponges for information. They have these brain cells that they have a urge to fill. If given access to information that they are interested in, that sticks.

Unfortunately, in todays society, they are exposed to indoctrination at massive rates. They are not experienced enough to filter that info. and determine truth because of their limited experience.

This is why the young are targeted by totalitarians. The plan is to indoctrinate the them while malleable, then ride that tide to power. Prohibition is a textbook example of this, and its leaders bragged about it!

My grandson Anthony and I spent a good part of the day together today. He had no school today, so he went gro. shopping with us. After we came back, I made bacon sandwiches for both of us, then we went outside and split wood for a few hours. He's a very good helper, eager to work and never stops. We get to talk a lot while we are working. He asked me if I'd ever heard of a Panzerfaust. I was amazed to hear the question. This followed with, did I know what an MP40 is? He informed me that he plays a video game, "Call of Duty Vanguard." In this game, evidently they get a choice of weapons, and many of those featured are German. After the MP40 question, I asked him if they also had the MP44 in the game, and he said no. Then I said, "How about the Stg.44," which elicited a very strong yes. That one he knew well. Years ago, a friend of mine had a Dewat MP44, it was an early one and so marked. So I sometimes forget that this run was renamed Stg.44 as the first "assault rifle." He told me he has been awarded "gold camos" in the Vanguard game but I don't know what those are.

While we were splitting wood, Anthony started singing, "Ericka," a German folksong that was adopted as an army marching song. Once again, I was amazed, and he knew most of the German lyrics to the song. Where would kids get this German stuff? You'd think all that would be forgotten by now.
The Germanic Legend and the Grand Crusade To The East are practically worshiped by many of the younger generation.
Looks great on paper and video... And they don't realise the cost of all that glory was to both the victors and the vanquished- and unable to fathom the depths of ruin visited upon the losers...
Until of course, they get called up in whatever war the Fourth Reich is involved in today...

Last Edited:
Fantastic, thanks for sharing! Its pretty interesting for sure, some of these games are very accurate. I am aware of these games, but dont play them myself. The big video game design companies spend millions on trying to get subtle, realistic things correct. Things that alot of old time shooters would enjoy. A few examples:
-Older wars (WW1/2), players often only use Iron sights.
-Hand to hand weapons are a thing, sometimes using a shovel at close range, or a bayonet, is a better than the actual firearm.
-You can hold your breath for long shots. Gane designers build in things like wandering sights due to heavy breathing
-Larger/more powerful rounds actually penetrate walls/bricks.
-Your hearing can be messed up if you hear loud explosions close by.

You should offer to take your grandson out shooting with some of your WW2 era firearms if you have them, it would likely mean alot. Also, you should tell your grandson you would like to either watch him play his video game sometime, or to play it with him. There are basically two modes of play. Most kids are playing against other people live through the internet. This is fun, but you might get tited of all the "smack talk" that middle schoolers can deal out, or you might enjoy it. The other mode is playing on pre-made maps against the computer, ill put a videi below of "Battlefield 1," this is the one I wpuld be playing if I did. He is lijely playing the WW2 equicilant. Also, "skins" is what gamers refer to "trench art" or totaly ridiculous garb as. You can run arouns with Goldem gunsz masks, or one game lets you run into battle with only underwear on, haha. These are basically rewatds for meeting goals/points in various ways. But have a look, pretty amazing whats out there right now:

"You'd think all that would be forgotten by now."

...and that is the greatest danger, aside from the propaganda of the last 75 years (most from well-meaning historians) that paint Adolf Hitler as some highly exceptional inhuman monster possessed with supernatural Svengali powers of influence over others, rather than just a man.

Thus, we believe ourselves to be vigilant, because a highly exceptional inhuman monster MUST be easy to spot and neutralize.

The reality is that the next Hitler most probably is amongst us now, and (as always) is just a man.

Oh, Fatherland, Fatherland, show us a sign,
Your children have waited to see.
The morning will come when the world is mine.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

Something to consider teaching....
The sight , sound , smell and experience of actual combat and or war....
Cannot be duplicated or simulated from a video game , movie or book.
Since one can always pause the game or movie or put down the book...
Also no one really dies or gets hurt in the above.

Not to forget to mention...that much of time spent in combat is boring things like
Waiting , lack of sleep , mindless repetition of tasks , bad weather , poor food , ill fitting clothing and lack of the proper gear.
As well as lots of things happening beyond your control...

While it my be fun to play a game like one described in the OP....
It is important to remember and respect those who have done so , in real life.
Andy

If your grandson is interested in WW2 guns, probably worth letting him know that COD Vanguard has a ton of historical and technical errors in it when it comes to weapons. Some examples:

Not to forget to mention...that much of time spent in combat is boring things like
Waiting , lack of sleep , mindless repetition of tasks , bad weather , poor food , ill fitting clothing and lack of the proper gear.

Andy
I've always thought, those who have seen war, despise it.
Those who have not, can be fascinated by it.

Last Edited:
So glad you had quality time with grandson. We envy that. They grow away so fast. Am having trouble getting past the indoctrination part and desensitization to glorification of war. War: bad. Combat: bad. Memory of combat: bad.

Andy
I don't think he can experience actual combat for at least 6 more years. 😅

One caution.
Playing first person shooter games is usually an immersive experience. The participant experiences release of dopamine and adrenaline at levels seldom experienced, all while sedentary.
This can be observed when someone leaves a gaming session. They can be irritable, aggressive, and not seem like their normal self.
It alters the brain, and can have lasting physiological effects. There are studies out there which address prolonged exposure to steroids and the deleterious effect on bones, musculature, and lipid storage.
What they see and hear can have also have long term, subconscious psychological effects, manifested in nightmares, and waking auditory and visual hallucinations.

One caution.
Playing first person shooter games is usually an immersive experience. The participant experiences release of dopamine and adrenaline at levels seldom experienced, all while sedentary.
This can be observed when someone leaves a gaming session. They can be irritable, aggressive, and not seem like their normal self.
It alters the brain, and can have lasting physiological effects. There are studies out there which address prolonged exposure to steroids and the deleterious effect on bones, musculature, and lipid storage.
What they see and hear can have also have long term, subconscious psychological effects, manifested in nightmares, and waking auditory and visual hallucinations.
+1 on this. I love FPS games, but will be the first to admit it's not a healthy way for younger people to get exposure to the concept of taking human life. This coming from someone who was raised on Rogue Spear, HalfLife, Counterstrike, Halo, etc.

Yes, this is the army as I knew it. It looks a lot better in the rear view mirror.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top