JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great idea - I am a big fan of coconut water and oil, I'm not sure why I didn't think of it:oops:.

Probably because that day The Gatorade was cheap and I'm poor lol.

IMO the way to intake sugar drinks of any kind is too ration it out over time. Keeps the sugar levels more even and you don't Store nearly as much as fat.

I had to go on a mostly liquid diet many times and kept my energy up while loosing weight with sweet tea and the like - but only sipping it. A 16oz glass would last me for a few hours.

Even if I took sweet tea or a Gatorade like drink, I would still take a gallon of water.

I should have made the thread title Water & Gatorade? Instead of vs.

i drink a lot of kirkland coconut water.

when "harmless harvest" is on sale at target i buy it. its spendy but oh so good.

The sodium, potassium and sugar is there to replenish lost glucose and electrolytes. Often post workout.
A gatorade pre travel and a gatorade post travel will benifit more than during.

Personally I take minerals in the morning and afternoon to avoid muscle cramps in crawlspaces and at the gym in the evenings. You get more servings and have less weight with vitamins and minerals in pill form than you would in gatorade bottles. Larger servings too. If that was an issue.

Id perhaps have a single serving (bottle) of gatorade in the pack and let the rest be water. Heck, I havent looked at the label, but you could always just get the powder form of gatorade and mix on site during your travels.. However I think the powder form is simply sugar and food coloring.. Doubt it has much of a concentration of anything else. Then again, I havent read the powder forms label.

@ZA_Survivalist
What you are saying as far as vitamins and minerals has science backing it up. Your body needs to be hydrated and get it's nutrients both prior and post any workout.

Personally I would avoid Gatorade because of the sugar and Red 40, etc. I would stick to water, zinc, magnesium, vitamin b6&12, omega 3, power/energy bar of some sort, and coconut water.
Jerky is ok in lieu of power bar or along with it.

I have powdered stuff in my GHB. I regularly drink out of my bags canteen, so water is easier to refill day to day. It can also be handy to have pure water in some scenarios. Other, extended or strenuous scenarios may require additional electrolytes.

If a quake hits, I'm headed for that new Tilikum Crossing bridge, pretty sure its the most likely or only one that will survive a 9+.

@ZA_Survivalist
What you are saying as far as vitamins and minerals has science backing it up. Your body needs to be hydrated and get it's nutrients both prior and post any workout.

Personally I would avoid Gatorade because of the sugar and Red 40, etc. I would stick to water, zinc, magnesium, vitamin b6&12, omega 3, power/energy bar of some sort, and coconut water.
Jerky is ok in lieu of power bar or along with it.
They say that chocolate milk is one of the very best post workout drinks existent. This I why I keep my chocolate laden saddlebags on a Guernsey cow. true story

If a quake hits, I'm headed for that new Tilikum Crossing bridge, pretty sure its the most likely or only one that will survive a 9+.

Surprisingly, some others will likely survive an 8 or 9 - damaged, but survive and likely still be passable, perhaps just not to vehicle traffic. I did some reading on this not long ago, and this is how some local bridges are expected to fair in an 8-9 magnitude quake:

Full collapse expected:
  • Ross Island
  • Broadway
  • Hawthorne
  • Interstate
  • Steel
Extensive/Severe Damage:
  • Burnside
  • Morrison
  • St Johns
Moderate Damage - built close to current standards, with earthquakes in mind:
  • Fremont
  • Glen Jackson
  • Marquam
Minor Damage - most likely to survive and still be passable - not surprisingly, they are the newest bridges:
  • Sauvie Island
  • Sellwood
  • Tillikum Crossing

It was surprising to me that there may be more ways to cross water than I had expected, though I still have to cross the Willamette at some point across one of 3 very old bridges, none of which I expect will survive - so in that sense, I still have at least one river that may be tough to cross, but thankfully it's the smallest of the three.

Never take vitamins, never really crave anything specific.

I do end up eating a lot of meat though.

I can't really do gatorade though. Diabetes runs in the family and I try to stay on the safe side when it comes to sugar.
Surprisingly, some others will likely survive an 8 or 9 - damaged, but survive and likely still be passable, perhaps just not to vehicle traffic. I did some reading on this not long ago, and this is how some local bridges are expected to fair in an 8-9 magnitude quake:

Full collapse expected:
  • Ross Island
  • Broadway
  • Hawthorne
  • Interstate
  • Steel
Extensive/Severe Damage:
  • Burnside
  • Morrison
  • St Johns
Moderate Damage - built close to current standards, with earthquakes in mind:
  • Fremont
  • Glen Jackson
  • Marquam
Minor Damage - most likely to survive and still be passable - not surprisingly, they are the newest bridges:
  • Sauvie Island
  • Sellwood
  • Tillikum Crossing

It was surprising to me that there may be more ways to cross water than I had expected, though I still have to cross the Willamette at some point across one of 3 very old bridges, none of which I expect will survive - so in that sense, I still have at least one river that may be tough to cross, but thankfully it's the smallest of the three.

Don't know if either is along your route, but you could do it wet by crossing just upstream of Goat Island near Clackamette park. My guess is that the Canby Ferry will be operational as well.

Don't know if either is along your route, but you could do it wet by crossing just upstream of Goat Island near Clackamette park. My guess is that the Canby Ferry will be operational as well.

Coming from Portland, where I work, to get home, I'll definitely need to cross the Clackamas river. I am working on the assumption that the bridge at that point will be down. If it's summer time, you can almost walk across at that point, or at least a minimal of swimming. But in my planning, I have to assume the worst case scenario - now picture that same crossing, mid-winter, potentially at flood stage and with temps that can lead to hypothermia pretty quickly. Perhaps some kind person could be operating a boat to take people across, but there is no assurance of that.

If I happened to be on the West Linn side, then I'd be stuck trying to cross the Willamette, assuming those bridges are down, it would be a more difficult crossing.

As for the Canby Ferry, I know two of the guys that run it - it's amazing what can shut that thing down. I'd expect it to likely be out of service. Either way, I wouldn't be on that side of town anyway, so not an option I'd likely have to consider.

At some point, I just figure I'll have to cross at least one body of water, and I still haven't worked out the best way to do that, considering the worst weather scenario, if equipped only with what I can carry in my GHB.

Coming from Portland, where I work, to get home, I'll definitely need to cross the Clackamas river. I am working on the assumption that the bridge at that point will be down. If it's summer time, you can almost walk across at that point, or at least a minimal of swimming. But in my planning, I have to assume the worst case scenario - now picture that same crossing, mid-winter, potentially at flood stage and with temps that can lead to hypothermia pretty quickly. Perhaps some kind person could be operating a boat to take people across, but there is no assurance of that.

If I happened to be on the West Linn side, then I'd be stuck trying to cross the Willamette, assuming those bridges are down, it would be a more difficult crossing.

As for the Canby Ferry, I know two of the guys that run it - it's amazing what can shut that thing down. I'd expect it to likely be out of service. Either way, I wouldn't be on that side of town anyway, so not an option I'd likely have to consider.

At some point, I just figure I'll have to cross at least one body of water, and I still haven't worked out the best way to do that, considering the worst weather scenario, if equipped only with what I can carry in my GHB.

Another option - Dry or wet suit, one man raft for your gear (you "steer" using it as a flotation device) , your gear in a watertight sealed bag. Also consider that you may need to do it with stealth depending on conditions. This would do for your first crossing if you could drive there.

It's also possible that there would be fishing or other boats to get you across the Willamette, but you would be hoofing it after that. Do you keep a great pair of boots and extra socks in your vehicle? Probably your most important tool.

Another option - Dry or wet suit, one man raft for your gear (you "steer" using it as a flotation device) , your gear in a watertight sealed bag. Also consider that you may need to do it with stealth depending on conditions. This would do for your first crossing if you could drive there.

It's also possible that there would be fishing or other boats to get you across the Willamette, but you would be hoofing it after that. Do you keep a great pair of boots and extra socks in your vehicle? Probably your most important tool.

Don't own a dry or wet suit, haven't really thought about investing in one - at least not yet. As for a boat, I've considered a small inflatable boat, just enough to cross the river, though space in the car is very limited, so it would have to pack up pretty small. That all assumes I can drive most of the way home. There is a good chance that roads could be blocked or impassable due to buckled concrete, collapsed buildings, abandoned cars, trees and power lines or mobs of panicked people taking to the streets. Driving would be ideal, but if I can't, then there's no chance I'll be able to pack a boat and/or wet suit as part of the GHB. By the time I get to the river, I'm within 5 miles of home and that's the last great barrier.

As I'm in construction, I do keep good leather work boots (ideal for a post SHTF situation), leather gloves, hard hat, safety glasses, etc.

My hope is, should the big one go down, I can drive most of the way home. But I plan it as if I'll have to walk the whole way. During a work day, that could mean coming from the westside, eastside, Vancouver or from our office near downtown. My greater hope is that I'm already home rather than having to cover the distance to get home.

But back to the river, I would plan on carrying a little cash in the event I need to convince someone to give me a ride across the river. Too bad I can't keep a power boat at work, I could make 80% of the trip home on the river, if I had one.

4 construction grade black bags and a couple zip ties is what I use.

Put your clothes in one bag and blow it up (close with a zip tie) ghb in bag #2. Bags 3 & 4 are strictly for flotation.

Also this assumes you have what you need to get a fire going asap to warm up after you cross and put your dry clothes back on.

Kick a lot and don't fight the current and you'll be ok in our climate unless it's sub 30's.

4 construction grade black bags and a couple zip ties is what I use.

Put your clothes in one bag and blow it up (close with a zip tie) ghb in bag #2. Bags 3 & 4 are strictly for flotation.

Also this assumes you have what you need to get a fire going asap to warm up after you cross and put your dry clothes back on.

Kick a lot and don't fight the current and you'll be ok in our climate unless it's sub 30's.

I've heard other folks suggest something like that, though I tend to forget about that. Carrying 4-5 large black bags wouldn't take up tremendous space/weight and could certainly be used as flotation as you describe. I do have a bag or two already part of the kit, but it would probably be a good idea to add a few more.

I've heard other folks suggest something like that, though I tend to forget about that. Carrying 4-5 large black bags wouldn't take up tremendous space/weight and could certainly be used as flotation as you describe. I do have a bag or two already part of the kit, but it would probably be a good idea to add a few more.

Make sure you test how well it protects your gear and how long the other bags will float before you trust your life to it. Might be fun to do a few small practice runs int he summer with a spotter or two, say across the Clackamas at Clackamette Park.

Make sure you test how well it protects your gear and how long the other bags will float before you trust your life to it. Might be fun to do a few small practice runs int he summer with a spotter or two, say across the Clackamas at Clackamette Park.

Good point. I haven't swum in a river in quite a few years. Might be good to at least try it out to be safe.

Good point. I haven't swum in a river in quite a few years. Might be good to at least try it out to be safe.

I live on the south part of the Metro area and when my office was in Vancouver I was planning on making trip on foot starting at the southern terminus of the I-5 bridge just see what it took under ideal conditions (no bridges out, no WROL conditions). Fortunately I began telecommuting 100% so no longer have that scenario. Also consider that things are hinky it might be better to moat night and hole up during the day if it takes longer than a day to make it home.

I live on the south part of the Metro area and when my office was in Vancouver I was planning on making trip on foot starting at the southern terminus of the I-5 bridge just see what it took under ideal conditions (no bridges out, no WROL conditions). Fortunately I began telecommuting 100% so no longer have that scenario. Also consider that things are hinky it might be better to moat night and hole up during the day if it takes longer than a day to make it home.

Yeah, that's a good point. I plan my GHB for at least 3 days as while the distance is easily manageable in 1-2 days, I don't expect an easy hike home. I expect a lot of reasons for delays, detours/re-routing due to so many possible issues. I'm also reviewing a minimum of 3-4 alternate routes to account for all those unknowns - and any route changes could add a day or more to the trip.

If you are really serious about getting across rivers, a good dry suit is the way to go. They provide floatation and warmth. A friend who lived on Oyster Bay (Bremerton, WA) used a dry suit to get from his anchored boat to shore. He passed out from drinking too much and washed up on shore a mile down the beach. Woke up in the morning and walked home - warm and dry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top