JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You need to get out of the health food store and ask a scientist.....like someone that really studies real examples with real scientific methods. Ask a pharmacist if your body can differentiate. I have had type 1 diabetes for 40 years and am very sensitive to things like calories, sugars, proline and carbohydrates. There is no difference between silly products like fructose or regular sugar refined from corn or beets. My blood pressure runs low, I frequently need additional salt to bring it up. Do you have any medical training? Ever heard of a dextrose or saline IV administered by the ER? That save lives and no one asks if there are "organic" if it made a difference they would.

Nowhere in my statement did I argue your postings of the body not being able to differentiate between processed and organic. Read it again.

My point on processed sugars is SO much of what we eat contains it, even things we don't think of as sweet contain processed sugar to "enhance flavor. And it's a fact that obesity in this country has become a catastrophic issue with more people being diagnosed with diabetes or heart disease than ever before.

That is typical antidotal evidence that isn't valid. There are many reasons things taste different or better. My neighbors raise longhorn cattle for that reason. They like grasses and do better in the outback here than something like a Black Angus, they taste differently but also have a lower fat content making the meat tougher. Not a scientific relationship but a personal preference. Pick up a capital press sometime if you want to learn about your food here in the northwest.

If you want to argue that our food is perfectly safe and healthy and organic options mean nothing, go ahead. Ever looked into how much Roundup there is in the food supply? Antibiotics are failing due to how much they are used and consumed. Scientists are struggling to develop new ones due to costs and time yet today's antibiotics are becoming more and more useless to bugs that have mutated to be resistant to them.

These are all just facts.

Argue away.

If you want to argue that our food is perfectly safe and healthy and organic options mean nothing, go ahead. Ever looked into how much Roundup there is in the food supply? Antibiotics are failing due to how much they are used and consumed. Scientists are struggling to develop new ones due to costs and time yet today's antibiotics are becoming more and more useless to bugs that have mutated to be resistant to them.

These are all just facts.

Argue away.
Ever look into the yearly expanding life expectancy and how chemicals like DDT dramatically increased it when introduced?

Ever look into the yearly expanding life expectancy and how chemicals like DDT dramatically increased it when introduced?

No, I haven't. Nor am I a trained medical professional (you asked earlier, I forgot to respond).

I do know I prefer to eat as little RoundUp, growth hormones and antibiotics as possible. Let alone pink slime, that was admitted by many MAJOR food distributors as a filler in hamburger. Do we even REALLY know what it is? I doubt it because it quickly and quietly was swept under the rug.

And shoot man, how many artificial dyes are used in Gatorade? They all carry health risks. I don't need it to look pretty to drink it.

How Much Food Dyes Are in Gatorade?

Nope, a bottle here and there isn't a big deal and I enjoy food and drink and I'm not someone who only eats organic. Shoot man, I enjoy pepperoni sticks and a good salami. So I am by no means perfect. I just think saying that organic food isn't better for you or processed sugar isn't an issue in our diets is short sided.

Last Edited:
This is the last thing I'll say on this.....

Our population is at a point where the food supply cannot support it without genetic engineering, growth hormones, antibiotics and strong pesticides. Shoot, there's even genetically engineered vegetables that can survive a strong concentration of RoundUp and grow quickly. All I know is I worry about the increased rate of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease that is killing more people than anything else in this country and I sure won't pretend that our food source isn't part of the problem. Because it is.

Tell me this picture doesn't provoke some thought:

roundup-excessive-1000.jpg

That's like "Penicillin Ready" VD. :p:(

A banana and some water would be more effective and no artificial coloring!

This was what I was commenting on. I absolutely agree with you.

I'm just trying to find a viable calorie source for a limited time to make it home without a vehicle.

Also organic is 100% better imo as well.

This was what I was commenting on. I absolutely agree with you.

I'm just trying to find a viable calorie source for a limited time to make it home without a vehicle.

Also organic is 100% better imo as well.
are you thinkin 2-3 hours to get 6 miles home from work like if your car breaks down or like if SHTF and the roads are backed up and people are losing their minds left and right?

No, I haven't. Nor am I a trained medical professional (you asked earlier, I forgot to respond).

I do know I prefer to eat as little RoundUp, growth hormones and antibiotics as possible. Let alone pink slime, that was admitted by many MAJOR food distributors as a filler in hamburger. Do we even REALLY know what it is? I doubt it because it quickly and quietly was swept under the rug.

And shoot man, how many artificial dys are used in Gatorade? They all carry health risks. I don't need it to look pretty to drink it.

How Much Food Dyes Are in Gatorade?

Nope, a bottle here and there isn't a big deal and I enjoy food and drink and I'm not someone who only eats organic. Shoot man, I enjoy pepperoni sticks and a good salami. So I am by no means perfect. I just think saying that organic food isn't better for you or processed sugar isn't an issue in our diets is short sided.
It is science, not shortsighted. Some people have problems with specific chemicals. We are learning more every day that genetics are the largest contributor to our individual issues, there was a story just today identifying a entirely new group of genetic markers that are breast cancer contributors. Anytime someone gets sick they want to find some outside influence that caused it. It usually isn't the case. Obesity in our society is directly correlated to television, sedentary lifestyles and professions. It is no more complicated than that. The major issues that cause death and sickness in society are well known. Things like smoking, drinking, drug abuse outweigh any other cause by a factor of tens of thousands or more. The health food industry takes huge advantage of the well known human placebo effect. It makes them fortunes but if you look at real actuarials, it makes no difference in actual lifespans.

I recommend that you store/carry water and have electrolyte powder mix to carry along if you must.

This gives you flexibility. You can always mix as much or as little as you need in a half to one liter bottle. Everybody is different, but I have no problems (that I know of) with what I can eat with regards to sugar or electrolytes, so I have sugary and salty foods along.

My employer provides treats most days, and usually there are several small packets of freeze dried fruit. I grab one of these (we are only supposed to take one) and they go in our GHBs, along with jerky and my own 'trail mix' (cashews, dried corn, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc.) - so I have sugary and salty food.

Yes I know that won't give a quick shot of electrolytes or sugar, but then it lasts longer too.

;)
are you thinkin 2-3 hours to get 6 miles home from work like if your car breaks down or like if SHTF and the roads are backed up and people are losing their minds left and right?

I was thinking SHTF - as long as I have a working phone I can get a ride home.

I honestly am not sure what people in vancouver would do if for some reason the roads or vehicles weren't usable.

Most would probably try and look for uber drivers:p

Having bought a few 1/4 and 1/2's from a local organic farm that does NOT infuse their stock with antibiotics and growth hormones (neither which I want to eat) I can 100% agree! I can also taste the difference in fruits and vegetables.

I buy some organic strawberries from a local farm in Sherwood, and when compared to store bought there isn't even a comparison.

I used to be in the produce biz... The varieties of strawberries sold by most grocery stores are designed to be big, red, and not bruise easy. We used to refer to those as shippers - they are also picked before the fully ripen to prevent bruising. ANY locally grown berry will best ANY shipper. We used to carry both, and as good as the locals were for flavor, people still bought the cosmetically perfect and taste free shipper. The same thing goes for other fruits as well as vegetables.

I try to eat fruit in season and sourced as local as possible. The best is always grown in your own garden.

I recommend that you store/carry water and have electrolyte powder mix to carry along if you must.

This gives you flexibility. You can always mix as much or as little as you need in a half to one liter bottle. Everybody is different, but I have no problems (that I know of) with what I can eat with regards to sugar or electrolytes, so I have sugary and salty foods along.

My employer provides treats most days, and usually there are several small packets of freeze dried fruit. I grab one of these (we are only supposed to take one) and they go in our GHBs, along with jerky and my own 'trail mix' (cashews, dried corn, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc.) - so I have sugary and salty food.

Yes I know that won't give a quick shot of electrolytes or sugar, but then it lasts longer too.

I keep pedialite packets and protien shake powder in individual servings already, just always looking to expand my calorie options because of my long list of can't have foods.

I sure won't pretend that our food source isn't part of the problem. Because it is.

Only 2% of the produce imported into the US is inspected, let alone tested for pesticide residue. This is especially critical in the winter when a lot of produce is imported from the southern hemisphere. There are a lot of chemicals that are no longer labeled for US in the US that are sold and used in these other food producing countries, primarily in South America.

One of the bigger problems right now is what is called "Roundup resistant" annual rye grass. It is actually glyphosate resistant, but a grass that was easily controlled in the past is simply not responding to past levels of application rates and is very hard to control. My neighbor had some get into his field that he was having contract farmed and the farmer failed to keep control. It spread through out the field, onto my property and the other neighbors as well. We had to use a 4 chemical tank mix to get some control on it and I just sprayed the last 30 gallons on my place today. Once it gets established it is very hard to get rid of.

American agriculture is all about economy of scale, farming on marginal ground with lower yields, and increasing yields with less inputs. I don't eat GMO foods, and there is some real nasty sh*t out there.

Humans have been "genetically engineereing" since we crawled out of the primordial ozze. We have just learned a more efficient way to do it. Do you know what a potato or tomato looked like when discovered by post Columbian Spanish explorers? You would not recognize it. Human lifespan has not gone down since the last plague. Rates of cancer are decreasing (with fewer smokers) most diseases are decreasing with the eviloution of science and technology that increases every year. None of that matters if you are the one that gets sick........but to society at large, it does.

I keep pedialite packets and protien shake powder in individual servings already, just always looking to expand my calorie options because of my long list of can't have foods.

Sugars can cause a short energy burst followed by drowsiness. A spoonful or two of coconut oil will give you just as much fast energy (because of the type of fat) without the sugar coma. You can mix a flavoring in if you want, but it's actually tasteless.

Sugars can cause a short energy burst followed by drowsiness. A spoonful or two of coconut oil will give you just as much fast energy (because of the type of fat) without the sugar coma. You can mix a flavoring in if you want, but it's actually tasteless.
When I am having a episode of insulin shock, I assure you that coconut oil isn't going to solve anything. The only thing that comes into your bloodstream are simple sugars and trace minerals. Everything has to be digested into one of those type substances and digestion takes time. Less time for carbohydrates and more time for protein, little to no time for simple sugars.

My dad has type 2 diabetes controlled by pills and diet. I appreciate your situation and hope you keep it in check! :)

;)

I was thinking SHTF - as long as I have a working phone I can get a ride home.

I honestly am not sure what people in vancouver would do if for some reason the roads or vehicles weren't usable.

Most would probably try and look for uber drivers:p
just food for thought: assuming you will have your EDC pistol and have to leave your vehicle, i would drink as much water and gatorade as you can before you decide to hoof it and take enough to where it wont weigh you down and when you start to walk try to draw no attention to yourself and dont present yourself as a threat right away. always expect the unexpected and always have a back up back up plan.

my plan for getting home... assuming i am in my pickup: grab the AR from the back seat, throw in a dip and kick it in 4x4 if i have to. i know EVERY road in this town. my work is 4 miles from my house... but home will not necessarily be home in SHTF. it MAY be an outpost. we have a place where there is not a lot of people and a very long line of sight i can chop someone in half with the ar10 if i need to. theres wells, generators, diesel fuel, wild game and good soil.

if im in the lancer: if i get lucky i'll be able to get where im goin but if i have to walk i will get to the river and make my way up the bank to where i need to go. ive went that route before for practice/hunting. its do-able.

My dad has type 2 diabetes controlled by pills and diet. I appreciate your situation and hope you keep it in check! :)
Type 2 is a very different disease than type 1. In type 2 your pancreas wears out or is unable to keep up with the demands the body has for insulin. The medications he used stimulate the pancreas to make more insulin......many other things also do that like caffeine......in a type 1 diabetic, the pancreas makes almost no insulin and it has to be injected directly into the bloodstream. Insulin can not be administered orally because it will be digested and destroyed. I have had it 40 years and have delt with it pretty well. The last 10 years oh so it is manifesting some other problems, notably heart disease that has drastically changed my lifestyle. I have made a lifelong study of it, was on the executive board of the American Diabetes association, have been a instructor on diabetic control as well as constantly studying the effects on my personal body. Sometimes it reminds me of the British Borer war vet that had a hole blown in his upper stomach, reasearch doctors studdied him fro decades necause they could insert food through the opening and observe how it was digested. I evaluate everything I eat as to how it effects my blood sugar over a period of time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top