JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep gallons of water in my car both to drink at work and to add into my pack if I have to walk the 6ish miles home but now I'm thinking i may want to stash a couple bottles of Gatorade to take as well.

Lots of extra weight but I'd go thru it pretty fast depending on the time of year.

Figure it will take me 2-3 hours to get home from work so it's not like I have a long walk but it could be longer as I do go places further away regularly.

I really dislike gatorade in general. I coach a softball team and encourage my girls to stick with water to stay hydrated. Let's face it, good ol' H2O has been hydrating mammals since existence.

I really dislike gatorade in general. I coach a softball team and encourage my girls to stick with water to stay hydrated. Let's face it, good ol' H2O has been hydrating mammals since existence.

I would use it more for the sugar drip/calories. The sodium and potassium are just bonus's.

Hydration is fine but Gatoraide adds some sugar, more importantly electrolytes that are very important to clear thinking. If water is 100% hydration, Gateraide is over 90% not a bad tradeoff for a few calories and the electrolytes nessisary to life. The only reason fluids other than water are not as effective at rehydration is because your liver and kidneys use some of the water in the fluid to help cleanse the blood. Not a big deal. (Unless you are trying to sell water). When we give IV fluid to dehydrated people it is never straight water.

Hydration is fine but Gatoraide adds some sugar, more importantly electrolytes that are very important to clear thinking. If water is 100% hydration, Gateraide is over 90% not a bad tradeoff for a few calories and the electrolytes nessisary to life. The only reason fluids other than water are not as effective at rehydration is because your liver and kidneys use some of the water in the fluid to help cleanse the blood. Not a big deal. (Unless you are trying to sell water). When we give IV fluid to dehydrated people it is never straight water.

Very true, electrolytes are important. But MOST people's diets are actually higher in sodium than recommended so the additional electrolytes really aren't doing that much. It's a fact people will consume more liquid that has a enjoyable flavor than just water and the processed sugar hits pretty fast, giving you a feeling of energy after a workout or strenuous physical activity. But it's short lived. Personally, I feel just as thirsty AFTER drinking gatorade as before, the sugar and syrup leaving a sticky residue behind makes me want to wash it away with water.

Last Edited:
You get 10x the potassium (an electrolyte...nope salt isn't the only one) from a banana than a full bottle of gatorade and you also get natural sugars and some fiber to slow it down. A banana and some water would be more effective and no artificial coloring!

You get 10x the potassium (an electrolyte...nope salt isn't the only one) from a banana than a full bottle of gatorade and you also get natural sugars and some fiber to slow it down. A banana and some water would be more effective and no artificial coloring!

Very true, I don't drink it very often. I like cane sugar Tea's and am a sipper not a gulper to try and avoid the caffeine and sugar crash. It works most of the time as a substitute for food, maybe not the healthiest option but it is one my gut can handle.

It was my understanding that it takes some time to process a banana down to usable potassium and one banana has the same amount of sugar as a 12oz coke.

Now I'm not a coffee drinker but I'd guess Gatorade would make really BAD coffee! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And you never know just how long that GHBag is going to have to last you. I'd stay with water.:):):)

Yah, I'm in the water only camp. Extras as powders.

We like those little "emergen-C" packs for a flavor bump. There mega dose vitamin C, bump of the B's with some electrolytes. All kinds of flavors, take up minimal space, can concentrate to flavor you want.

Tried "zip fizz" tubes, similar to Emergen-C, but a tiny bit bulkier (small tube doesn't fit spots as nice as the packs). Less C as well.

You guys are drinking the "coolaid" your body doesn't know the difference between "processed" or natural sugars, just like it can't tell the difference between things like "natural" vitamin c or other types. In survival school I went to 3 in the USAF) electrolytes are very difficult to obtain. Low electrolytes are a major contributor to mental confusion and unsteadiness. The myths of "artifical" being nessisarley bad for you has been debunked every time a real scientific study is done. Nearly everything is "natural" at some point.......including arsenic and every other poison known to man. Countless studies have shown that "organic" is also simply a method of lifting more cash from your wallet........so, if you want to carry a bunch of bananas in your pack with plain water.....more power to you. Sounds pretty silly to me. Gatorade has relatively little sugar, far less than many "natural" juices.......(look at carrot juice)

You guys are drinking the "coolaid" your body doesn't know the difference between "processed" or natural sugars, just like it can't tell the difference between things like "natural" vitamin c or other types. In survival school I went to 3 in the USAF) electrolytes are very difficult to obtain. Low electrolytes are a major contributor to mental confusion and unsteadiness. The myths of "artifical" being nessisarley bad for you has been debunked every time a real scientific study is done. Nearly everything is "natural" at some point.......including arsenic and every other poison known to man. Countless studies have shown that "organic" is also simply a method of lifting more cash from your wallet........so, if you want to carry a bunch of bananas in your pack with plain water.....more power to you. Sounds pretty silly to me. Gatorade has relatively little sugar, far less than many "natural" juices.......(look at carrot juice)

"Organic" doesn't matter? That's just plain stupid. I don't eat much organic unless I can find it on sale as it is indeed more expensive. It's a PROVEN fact that non organic vegetables contain lots of pesticides, herbicides and even round up. True organic does not.

Organic beef doesn't contain the obscene amount of hormones and antibiotics like off the shelf pink-slimed infused beef.

BTW, processed sugars are the reason this country has such an obesity problem. 100 years ago before our food became so processed, it was virtually non-existent. These are facts.

"Organic" doesn't matter? That's just plain stupid. I don't eat much organic unless I can find it on sale as it is indeed more expensive. It's a PROVEN fact that non organic vegetables contain lots of pesticides, herbicides and even round up. True organic does not.

Organic beef doesn't contain the obscene amount of hormones and antibiotics like off the shelf pink-slimed infused beef.

BTW, processed sugars are the reason this country has such an obesity problem. 100 years ago before our food became so processed, it was virtually non-existent. These are facts.
i hear ya on the organic beef vs non... can even taste the difference!

i hear ya on the organic beef vs non... can even taste the difference!

Having bought a few 1/4 and 1/2's from a local organic farm that does NOT infuse their stock with antibiotics and growth hormones (neither which I want to eat) I can 100% agree! I can also taste the difference in fruits and vegetables.

I buy some organic strawberries from a local farm in Sherwood, and when compared to store bought there isn't even a comparison.

You need to get out of the health food store and ask a scientist.....like someone that really studies real examples with real scientific methods. Ask a pharmacist if your body can differentiate. I have had type 1 diabetes for 40 years and am very sensitive to things like calories, sugars, proline and carbohydrates. There is no difference between silly products like fructose or regular sugar refined from corn or beets. My blood pressure runs low, I frequently need additional salt to bring it up. Do you have any medical training? Ever heard of a dextrose or saline IV administered by the ER? That save lives and no one asks if there are "organic" if it made a difference they would.

Having bought a few 1/4 and 1/2's from a local organic farm that does NOT infuse their stock with antibiotics and growth hormones (neither which I want to eat) I can 100% agree! I can also taste the difference in fruits and vegetables.

I buy some organic strawberries from a local farm in Sherwood, and when compared to store bought there isn't even a comparison.
grew up on organic beef, venison and elk. yeah, i still sometimes buy beef from the store if im craving a rib eye or somethin. the last bit of organic grassfed beef we had was this summer. it came from my uncles cow "snookie." that 1/2 i split with my parents of 100% natural beef went quick... man its good!

That is typical antidotal evidence that isn't valid. There are many reasons things taste different or better. My neighbors raise longhorn cattle for that reason. They like grasses and do better in the outback here than something like a Black Angus, they taste differently but also have a lower fat content making the meat tougher. Not a scientific relationship but a personal preference. Pick up a capital press sometime if you want to learn about your food here in the northwest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top