JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
just food for thought: assuming you will have your EDC pistol and have to leave your vehicle, i would drink as much water and gatorade as you can before you decide to hoof it and take enough to where it wont weigh you down and when you start to walk try to draw no attention to yourself and dont present yourself as a threat right away. always expect the unexpected and always have a back up back up plan.

my plan for getting home... assuming i am in my pickup: grab the AR from the back seat, throw in a dip and kick it in 4x4 if i have to. i know EVERY road in this town. my work is 4 miles from my house... but home will not necessarily be home in SHTF. it MAY be an outpost. we have a place where there is not a lot of people and a very long line of sight i can chop someone in half with the ar10 if i need to. theres wells, generators, diesel fuel, wild game and good soil.

if im in the lancer: if i get lucky i'll be able to get where im goin but if i have to walk i will get to the river and make my way up the bank to where i need to go. ive went that route before for practice/hunting. its do-able.

I hope in that case I can park my WRX next to your Lancer and cover your six brother!

When I am having a episode of insulin shock, I assure you that coconut oil isn't going to solve anything. The only thing that comes into your bloodstream are simple sugars and trace minerals. Everything has to be digested into one of those type substances and digestion takes time. Less time for carbohydrates and more time for protein, little to no time for simple sugars.

Coconut oil is the richest source of medium chain fatty acids. When digested it is processed very quickly by the liver and doesn't cause the sugar spike that leads to drowsiness. That's because even though it is very quickly processed into sugars it doesn't get dumped all at once into the bloodstream.

Except for the case of insulin shock (very low blood sugars) it's ideal. Now, if you have taken too much insulin and your blood sugar has dropped below, say, 80 you need a simple carb with a high hypoglycemic index like glucose tablets or juice, because you want the sugar spike. Recovery from insulin shock is WAY worse than drowsiness.

@Argonaut Yeah, I am familiar with the differences. But even with type 2 he had a heart attack two years ago, now has congestive heart failure and is on O2 all the time. I hope your research and studies help find a cure, sir.

I hope in that case I can park my WRX next to your Lancer and cover your six brother!
dude we should have a NWFA coalition for SHTF. LOL. im tellin you tho, i can go some places with snow tires on that lancer! it was my wifes car before i bought her a new 4runner as a graduation present. i daily drive it because my truck gets like 11mpg on a good day

That is true........a cookie is better than a piece of candy because the carbs follow up the sugar to stabilize your blood sugar. Mine has been 38 one time when I had pneumonia(blood sugar becomes pretty much uncontrollable when complicated by other sicknesses) The ER doc said he has never seen anyone with that low a reading conscience. I walked into the ER. I don't disagree about the fatty acid but it is best intragated into a balanced diet. I was involved with a study at the Samsun Clinic about the effects of diet on diabetics. The conclusion was that people with a realitively high fat/protein diet (vs the old diabetic high carb diet) had fewer and less severe insulin related and high sugar problems. I try to plan my daily activity every morning and eat accordingly to support the energy required. It works pretty well but not an exact science either.

That is true........a cookie is better than a piece of candy because the carbs follow up the sugar to stabilize your blood sugar. Mine has been 38 one time when I had pneumonia(blood sugar becomes pretty much uncontrollable when complicated by other sicknesses) The ER doc said he has never seen anyone with that low a reading conscience. I walked into the ER. I don't disagree about the fatty acid but it is best intragated into a balanced diet. I was involved with a study at the Samsun Clinic about the effects of diet on diabetics. The conclusion was that people with a realitively high fat/protein diet (vs the old diabetic high carb diet) had fewer and less severe insulin related and high sugar problems. I try to plan my daily activity every morning and eat accordingly to support the energy required. It works pretty well but not an exact science either.

Yeah, my dad eats pretty much the same thing every day......but he still has issues here and there with his BP and such. His BP meds have put him in the ER 4 times in the last year and a half for bloody noses that take ALL day to stop. They tried to cauterize it several times, never works. He ends up with it packed and a holder type wand taped to his face for two days.

@Argonaut Yeah, I am familiar with the differences. But even with type 2 he had a heart attack two years ago, now has congestive heart failure and is on O2 all the time. I hope your research and studies help find a cure, sir.
Well........no one gets out alive. I have 3 100% blocked coronary arteries......all 3....with blockages directly on the heart so no bypass or stint potions. They say I have been having heart attacks for a couple of decades and never knew it. I have grown enough small veins around the blockages to keep me alive but I don't function physically very well any more. Some days are better than others. All we can do is deal with the hand we are delt. I have very good medical care at the VA (my cardiologist is world class) and a good basis in medical training from the military. Good luck to your dad too.

Well........no one gets out alive. I have 3 100% blocked coronary arteries......all 3....with blockages directly on the heart so no bypass or stint potions. They say I have been having heart attacks for a couple of decades and never knew it. I have grown enough small veins around the blockages to keep me alive but I don't function physically very well any more. Some days are better than others. All we can do is deal with the hand we are delt. I have very good medical care at the VA (my cardiologist is world class) and a good basis in medical training from the military. Good luck to your dad too.

Thank you, Sir. And thank you for your service. If we ever meet I'd be honored to shake your hand.

dude we should have a NWFA coalition for SHTF. LOL. im tellin you tho, i can go some places with snow tires on that lancer! it was my wifes car before i bought her a new 4runner as a graduation present. i daily drive it because my truck gets like 11mpg on a good day
Yup, I read it here, a NWFA SHFT Coalition... we'll call
It #NWGASHTFC... I'll come heavily laden with ammo. :eek:

I have heart attacks when I over do. We were in Europe for 90 days a couple of years ago, getting off the plane when we got home, I walked the concourse after getting off the 14 hr plane ride. It was maby 1/2 a mile, I was in the hospital that night with chest pain my nitro pills wouldn't fix. I seem to have an episode like that every year or so. I don't really consider them life threatening just disconcerting. Some day one may take me out.....but like a buddy of mine used to say (after loosing much of his family to cancer) the more cancer he sees, the better a heart attack looks.

Gatorade is good, water is good. They serve different purposes. I played soccer and baseball and football, my 14 seasons of soccer and 14 seasons of baseball and 4 seasons of football gave me a fair amount of time to test what each one did for me. Gatorade replensishes sugar and salt and other things in the body lost through sweat. Water is indeed the main ingredient of Gatorade, however, taking in that much sugar on a regular basis isn't good for the body, plus, if too much sugar is ingested in a short amount of time it can cause a energy spike soon followed by an energy crash. Hence - drinking water to hydrate daily and Gatorade for strenuous activities to replenish salts and sugars (in addition to water) is best in my experience. I find that during strenuous activities Gatorade quenches thirst best because your body is craving more than just water. The reason being, your body needs salt to retain water best. If you sweated buckets and only drank water it wouldn't replenish the salt lost through sweat and your body would not hydrate as effectively. Referencing a prior post, for a girls soccer game it won't matter as long as they were hydrated well before the game, but if you are potentially huffing it for 3 hours, you will appreciate having some Gatorade to go along with your water bottles. I consider when I have taken hiking trips that took 7 hours to hike to the site, I definitely appreciated having more than just water.

...Tell me this picture doesn't provoke some thought:

View attachment 400219

That's like "Penicillin Ready" VD. :p:(

"Federal Hybrids Roundup Ready Seed Corn 105RR...Warning: Treated Seed exposed on soil surface may be hazardous to birds, fish and other wildlife. Areas planted with treated seed may be replanted after 30 days with cereal grains, grasses, non-grass animal feeds, soybeans, dried beans, root and tubed vegetables. These areas may be replanted after 8 months with sugar cane..."

Dang!

Recovery from insulin shock is WAY worse than drowsiness.

100% agree. I've had a few serious low blood sugar events as a Type 1 (actually my doc calls it Type 1a) before I got my insulin pump. Now they are somewhat rare, though I had one the other night, first time in a while. Woke up with a 51 about 1:00am, heart racing, cold sweats - had to onboard carbs to correct. Finally got back to sleep and felt like crap when I got up, and for much of the rest of the day. It is a pain.

I go by temperature, cool weather, water! Hot, electrolytes on hand!
Choice is guided by a hearty dislike of the Gatorade's taste! o_O

I keep some powdered electrolytes on hand in my GHB just in case. Especially during the summer, if the SHTF and I had to hike home from work, over 15 miles, there's a good chance I may need some before I can cross that distance in high heat. Good to plan for it, just in case. The powdered option is nice so you can mix it as needed. I prefer water myself, but wouldn't hesitate to use it if needed.

When the bridges/overpasses fail, when there are trees and power poles across the road, when the road looks like this:

xddd69_150425095812-restricted-06-nepals-quake-0425-super-169.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.lg3kuz3xXc.jpg

There is a good chance you will be hoofing it and that is what a GHB is for.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top