JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you believe this;
The emergency situation may provide the compelling interest to infringe on a fundamental right, but only if the law is narrowly tailored to meet the compelling interest's goals. Constitutional rights don't evaporate just because hard times are present, or because they interfere with government's easy preferences.

it will get bumpy, because they do evaporate for period of time. The constitution right to gather that is toast. to free assembly.

Thanks for clarifying: Interestingly, I (out of preference) don't participate in or involve myself in effectively all large public gatherings as a standard operating procedure, but having strong American blood coursing through my veins, won't have a government telling me that I can't do it (even if I didn't do it already) ;) lol

If your point is that governmental agencies don't always honor the constitution and take actions that violate rights, of course they don't. That is why restraining orders and preliminary injunctions exist, such as the ones conservative groups have obtained when government universities (UC Berkeley for one) deny speeches by conservative speakers and encourage them by liberal speakers. Nobody (hopefully) assumes that government agencies will follow the Constitution without a hiccup.

monkey-gif.gif
giphy.gif
IpdNuw8.gif
giphy.gif

Last Edited:
With an attitude like that we will end up like Italy in 2 weeks.

The people who are most susceptible would choose to self quarantine, the people who are going to survive it anyway would do their thing. What is the age range of people who have died from this so far in the US, hasn't it been about 80 years on average?

To add: I'm not saying people shouldn't be prudent, but this amount of unprecedented overreaction by shutting everything down is going to hit a lot of people a hell of a lot harder than this bug would have. And so far, panicking people are a hell of a lot more dangerous than this bug has been.

Last Edited:
As someone who works in a Hospital I find the sheer breakdown in civility insane, H1N1 got to alot more people seemingly much faster and there was not this kind of panic, I find the whole thing sad.

As someone who works in a Hospital I find the sheer breakdown in civility insane, H1N1 got to alot more people seemingly much faster and there was not this kind of panic, I find the whole thing sad.

Different president then, there wasn't a coordinated agenda to create a panic/recession to make the president look bad and influence an election. Right now, there is.

With an attitude like that we will end up like Italy in 2 weeks.

I read this long article sent to me. Now, when ever I hear anything from Kate Brown, and you from the North's, Jay Inslee, I feel like their just making bubblegum up. Oh, because both of them, and there minions, know what's best for us! But after reading this article I'm having to ask myself "What if?". What if this thing does progress like the article lays out? What if it's only half true? Some of the attitudes I'm reading are scaring me. You can actually say to hell with restrictions, ima gonna do what I want anyway?

Give this a read and pick it apart for us would you guys? I understand that we are NOT China, Japan or Tiwan. But???
Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now There's a lot of people here that are smarter than me. I can't find enough BS in this to just say "Screw 'em I'll do as I please". Christ, I'm concerned for Wifey, she works front end at Albertsons. One of you mugs gets sick and saying screw it gets her sick? :mad:

Please explain? What is sad? That the so called leader are imposing too drastic restrictions? Being a hospital worker I'd think your opinion is something we should hear.

Last Edited:
Please explain? What is sad? That the so called leader are imposing too drastic restrictions? Being a hospital worker I'd think your opinion is something we should hear.

Whats sad is how fast society is breaking down, how much the Media and Social spaces have whipped this in to alot of bullbubblegum that has people clearing out things like toilet paper, its freakin respiratory not gastric. Its sad that the over reaching democrats are doing everything they can to tank the economy and kill small business , All so Trump can look bad because we are in an election year, its sad that no one can see the forest for the trees.

I'd like to think we as the Human race are better then this, and ya that's a naive thing to want I get that but I used to watch disaster and pandemic movies and think, we can do better then that we will do better then that. Movies are always so off base, I went from 11 years in law enforcement picking apart cop movies to 4 years in a hospital environment picking apart those movies, so at the end of the day whats Sad is we fell in to the hollywood troupe of not keeping our bubblegum together

The sooner everyone abides by reasonable mitigation, a lockdown, or a quarantine, the less severe the affects will be.

The longer folks wait to abide by such, either mandated or personal, the severity of the effects become exponential.

That includes the economic affects, which many people simply either do not understand, or simply do not want to.

The overall objective is simply to slow down the number of people exposed, so we can care for those whom need it. That's all, that's it.

Simplistically, which would be better:

Quarantine for a month, or whatever time frame, and losing that salary, for that time frame?

Continuing on as everything is fine, but then being laid off?

Last Edited:
Whats sad is how fast society is breaking down, how much the Media and Social spaces have whipped this in to alot of bullbubblegum that has people clearing out things like toilet paper, its freakin respiratory not gastric. Its sad that the over reaching democrats are doing everything they can to tank the economy and kill small business , All so Trump can look bad because we are in an election year, its sad that no one can see the forest for the trees.

I'd like to think we as the Human race are better then this, and ya that's a naive thing to want I get that but I used to watch disaster and pandemic movies and think, we can do better then that we will do better then that. Movies are always so off base, I went from 11 years in law enforcement picking apart cop movies to 4 years in a hospital environment picking apart those movies, so at the end of the day whats Sad is we fell in to the hollywood troupe of not keeping our bubblegum together

Thanks for clarifying. And boy-howdy do I hear you! I've been disgusted by people BEFORE this bubblegumstorm. Glad I'm in the last 1/4 of my life, and and all that. But maybe the media is correct in trying to get peoples attention? They could have gone about it differently, maybe? I dunno. :(

The people who are most susceptible would choose to self quarantine, the people who are going to survive it anyway would do their thing. What is the age range of people who have died from this so far in the US, hasn't it been about 80 years on average?
So far, perhaps. However:

>50% of patients in the ICU in Holland are under the age of 50
The youngest intubated patient in Holland is a 16 yo girl
The youngest intubated patient in Italy is a 19 yo boy
The first intubated patient in Italy was an otherwise healthy 38 yo marathon runner
Data from Europe indicates the primary risk factor for hospitalization is obesity, not age. Are there no fat people in the US?
Approx. 15% of cases require intensive care.
Average time in the ICU is approx. 3 weeks.
The above 2 points are the reason why medical systems get overwhelmed where this bug reproduces unrestrained.
When medical systems are overwhelmed, then other patients (trauma victims, those needing surgery, etc.) don't get treatment. This is happening in Italy right now. People of all ages are being turned away from hospitals.
Even if the disease doesn't kill you, have you thought about the financial cost of treatment/hospitalization in this country? At $4,000/day (the approximate average cost of a hospital visit in the US) the cost will be financially crippling for many (if not the patient, then the ins. co. or the taxpayer).
The economic effect will be devastating in any case. My 34 yo S.I.L. has been flat on his back with fever for a week. My daughter(an hourly wage worker) is self-isolating and cannot work. This will happen to many more people. What we are seeing now is only the tip of the iceberg.

Maybe it's a case of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. You could be right. But I have a feeling we are in for a heap of suffering either way.

Our leadership has failed us. They have not prepared the American people for what is coming. They have not been honest about what is going on overseas, choosing instead to minimize the danger. As a result, the shock will be greater when it hits.

As an old fart who gets tired of hearing "It only kills old people," I suppose I could take comfort in the following: When this disease becomes endemic, which it probably will, it will lower life expectancy for everyone.

Last Edited:
whether the attendees are screened for temperature beforehand,

But don't the infected shed virus for 8-14 days before they become symptomatic? Including high temps? IMO there is no way to screen for those shedding virus except testing and waiting for the results... and we are not doing that.

In a state of emergency I believe laws can be suspended.

Yes, but according to the laws, and the Constitution there are limitations on emergency powers. Unfortunately in a crisis it often doesn't work that way.

The emergency situation may provide the compelling interest to infringe on a fundamental right, but only if the law is narrowly tailored to meet the compelling interest's goals. Constitutional rights don't evaporate just because hard times are present, or because they interfere with government's easy preferences.

Unfortunately in a crisis it often doesn't work that way. :(

IMO we are never very far from The Lord of the Flies. It's in our nature, in our instincts, in our DNA. The meek shall not inherit the earth. And we have fewer common values, beliefs, and personal high jumps regarding behavior. :(:(:(

Maybe a tax moratorium is next...?

You're funny.....................

WA state has had record revenue the last couple of years (about $7.4 billion that they weren't expecting), yet Inslee and the dems have spent almost every penny of it and raised taxes another $5 billion. I would bet Inslee and the dems will not let this crisis go to waste and will raise all taxes and try to implement an income tax in the name of Corona virus.

budget.jpg

Ray

You're funny.....................

WA state has had record revenue the last couple of years (about $7.4 billion that they weren't expecting), yet Inslee and the dems have spent almost every penny of it and raised taxes another $5 billion. I would bet Inslee and the dems will not let this crisis go to waste and will raise all taxes and try to implement an income tax in the name of Corona virus.

View attachment 670712

Ray
A modest proposal for a Constitutional amendment:
"Whenever the Legislature enacts a new tax, or a raise of an existing one, into law, the sponsors from each chamber shall be required to draw lots, with one loser from each chamber being beheaded on the Capitol grounds before close of business that day. That seat shall be left vacant until the next General Election."

Waiting for the Other Shoe to drop in OryGun, will see what Gov'ness Kate has to say 'bout things, but I don't see it going well!

BTW, this social ban crap is only legal under Martial law, and the LEO who will violate that to carry out the Goober'ners wishes! As no state has yet declared Martial law, none of this will pass constitutional muster! The real trick is to get a court to issue an injunction, and in the face of the Co-19, it's not likely! SO..................What do we citizens do? Follow an illegal mandate, resist and risk freedoms, or.........
Difficult situation with no clear answers!
Bottom line is: I would ( and I am) self quarantining and doing what I can to avoid this, it's not the hill I wanna die on, and we can sue the gooberners later when this goes full on nasty!

Not the time to make a principled stand. Let's do the social distancing being asked of us and let's stop the spread and get on with our lives. Buck up little camper.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top