JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard a lot of people dissatisfied with the loudness of that gun.

Gotta go with a .22+ caliber with a heavy bullet so you don't get the crack when the pellet breaks the sound barrier.

I've heard good things about the 2nd gen nitro piston crossmans but can not afford one.

I'm not expecting silent, I just didn't want my neighbors flipping out.... As for quality do you know anything about them? For 130.00 I'm wondering if its the smart buy.

Basically I am looking for a stand alone quality air rifle in the sub 200.00 range.

Any ideas??

Big 5 carries a LOT of the game guns on their racks so you can take a feel on some of them.

The gamo stuff just all felt like plastic junk to me. I had a new employee helping me and he let me dry fire one into an empty plastic trash can:D. You should have seen the reactions of the other 2 employees and the other customer in the store - you'd have thought I was holding the place up and robbing it:eek:. Needless to say, I didn't buy that gun.

I think you can get into a 1st gen air piston like the trail master for less then $180 on Amazon.

It's been a few months since I last looked.

Crosman
4.2 out of 5 stars 150Reviews
Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 Break Barrel Air Rifle (.22) powered by Nitro Piston®

1. 21VCUz6uMQL._SY400_.jpg
  2. 21YtBOzsAhL._SY400_.jpg
  3. 41KlMhmITpL._SY400_.jpg
  4. 41ml-1SGcxL._SY400_.jpg
  5. 41MJwnQ6jIL._SY400_.jpg
  6. 41v4VNiVDWL._SY400_.jpg
  7. 81oKW2CD8hS._SY200_PKmb-play-button-overlay_.png

List Price: $429.99
Price: $253.97 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $176.02 (41%)

^^^thats what I wanted but can't afford.

This is in your price range though:

Crosman Nitro Venom Break Barrel Air Rifle (22) powered by Nitro Piston
  1. 21avEFDf51L._SY400_.jpg
  2. 21HxGCMLCHL._SY400_.jpg
  3. 41I%2B22qhlfL._SY400_.jpg
  4. 41YTeajnJoL._SY400_.jpg
  5. 31vOrLCKpUL._SY400_.jpg
  6. 31ReQrWCBSL._SY400_.jpg

List Price: $239.99
Price: $131.70 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $108.29 (45%)

Thanks Joe13! Ill check it out. I haven't owned an air rifle since I was a boy with my Daisy lol. I thought it would be nice to have one just in case.

I've tried the Gamo, just not real impressed. They're not bad, but not great. I have a Crosman Optimus break barrel in .177 that is a nice rifle, but it's a bit louder than I'd like. As @Joe13 mentioned, you may be better off with a .22 cal air rifle if sound is an issue. I've got a Hatsan 125 which is bigger and more powerful than the Crosman, but is definitely quieter. The worst for sound is if you get a rifle that pushes your ammo supersonic - it will sound more like the crack of a .22lr when that happens. Try to stick to sub 1,000FPS to avoid that. For the most part, my air rifles sound like a pneumatic nail gun - the Crosman sounds like a louder one.

Here's the Optimus in .22 cal:

41%2B2DHPllfL._SL1000_.jpg

Price today is $119.99 with free shipping if you have Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Air-R...id=1449152445&sr=8-2&keywords=crosman+optimus Just be aware that most scopes that come with air rifles are crap. The Optimus does have decent sights built in. Note that not all air rifles come with iron sights, so be sure to watch for that as any included scope may be somewhat useless - which means you'll be spending more money for a quality airgun scope.

Personally, I would consider spending just a bit more and going to the Hatsan 95. Hatsan is a Turkish company, and I've owned a couple of their guns, and I've always been pleased with the quality. It comes with the Quattro 2-stage adjustable trigger. This one is also in .22 caliber and comes with a Vortex Gas Piston which replaces the usual spring piston. That means easier cocking, no spring torque or fatigue, and you can leave it cocked over time, which you can't do with a spring, and finally, they last longer than springs. My Hatsan 125 is a Vortex Gas powered piston and I definitely notice the difference:

31HwxSjZgtL.jpg

Amazon has this one for $172.00 with free shipping (don't have to have Prime): http://www.amazon.com/Hatsan-Rifle-...ie=UTF8&qid=1449152599&sr=1-2&keywords=hatsan

I would recommend the Hatsan 125 Sniper, but it's closer to $300 (about $280)

Just be aware that the break barrel rifles may be larger than what you remember say from the old Crosman 760 Pumpmaster days. Longer and heavier. But a doggone lot of fun to shoot. I'd be happy to let you try either of mine at some point if there was a way to work out a time to meet up.

Last Edited:
Crosman
4.2 out of 5 stars 150Reviews
Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 Break Barrel Air Rifle (.22) powered by Nitro Piston®

1. View attachment 266270
  2. View attachment 266271
  3. View attachment 266272
  4. View attachment 266273
  5. View attachment 266274
  6. View attachment 266275
  7. View attachment 266276

List Price: $429.99
Price: $253.97 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $176.02 (41%)

^^^thats what I wanted but can't afford.

This is in your price range though:

Crosman Nitro Venom Break Barrel Air Rifle (22) powered by Nitro Piston
  1. View attachment 266277
  2. View attachment 266278
  3. View attachment 266279
  4. View attachment 266280
  5. View attachment 266281
  6. View attachment 266282

List Price: $239.99
Price: $131.70 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $108.29 (45%)

I strongly considered that Nitro Venom - great gun, but what stopped me was the lack of iron/FO sights. I can't understand why they don't include them. If it had had them, I would have bought it. I got the Hatsan instead. I'd probably still add the Nitro Venom to my collection some day, but only after they add sights. It is a very nice rifle.

I have a friend that has a walmart 177 piston gun. The barrel wobbles when fired so that there is a 18MOA vertical spread w/a good scope plus the factory scope is a total joke/junk worth less than it cost to make it
Now that RF ammo is more available I would opt for 22 sub sonics

I am new to the air rifle world but I picked up A Benjamin Trail last week at Cabelas. Price on the shelf was 320 But rang up at the register for 190. It is the .177 with synthetic stock. Overall im super happy with it the scope that it came with is actually pretty decent and it so far holds a fairly tight group and really isnt that loud.

We have two of these versions below.
No issues with them, the one we have is pretty good at up to 100ft at that range it takes out ground squirrels. Quiet, umm no. I notice no real difference in volume just tone these tend to have a lower tone then not a ping . They seem solid enough and with the right pellets are pretty lethal for the pests. Over 100ft I notice significant drop with any wind. I like ours we use them when the 22 or others are not practical. Bothering neighbors its quieter then a air nail gun.

2358188_02_gamo_silent_cat_177_cal_break__640.jpg

2358188_02_gamo_silent_cat_177_cal_break__640.jpg

I have a gamo whisper, not sure which one, and I love it. I used it for jack rabbits in the garden and lawn at my old place. Those high desert jack rabbits get huge and the pellet gun worked great.

I have a lower end Benjamin Nitro, the Titan GP Model BW8M22NP

I am not impressed with its accuracy, I have tried a number of different pellets and "upgraded" the optic to a $50 Simmons 3 x9 At 30 yards best I can do is about 3" groups.

I also had a Stoger X-20 suppressed one, Much more enjoyable to shoot but wont shoot even as good as the Benjamin. It was all over the place. two or three shots right in there and then a flyer off 6"

Maybe I expect to much but I am not really happy with either. Both where in the $125 range If I remember right.

Any opinions on this rifle guys? I am thinking of picking one up. I was looking for a decent quality, pump style that wasn't crazy loud.
That is one of my current guns and I have to agree with Joe. It sounds like a .22 but is a pretty good gun. Don't get the scope that comes with it though as it is total crap. First trip out and the reticle piece literally fell over inside. Save the money, get a good scope, and other that how loud it is it is a pretty good gun. very accurate, at least with mine. This is a scope that my uncle bought before me because he didn't wan't me to waste my money on a piece of crap and it has survived on his Big Bore Carnivore for months and it is still dead on.http://www.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-4x32-ao-mil-dot.html
These are two guns that i have heard good things about:
Stoeger Arms X20S Suppressor:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Stoeger_Arms_X20S_Suppressor_Air_Rifle/2406
Crosman 1077 (CO2:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_1077_air_rifle/204

Last Edited:
Thanks guys, so much for all the input! I am still evaluating and trying to decide. Right now I need a super quiet one to snipe the crows out of the tree by my bedroom window until they figure out that having parties during a graveyard shift workers sleep hours is ill advised.

Thanks guys, so much for all the input! I am still evaluating and trying to decide. Right now I need a super quiet one to snipe the crows out of the tree by my bedroom window until they figure out that having parties during a graveyard shift workers sleep hours is ill advised.
The Edgun Matador is good but costs a couple thousand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top