JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Really just getting started with long term food storage preps. I have more or less infinite access to 5gal plastic buckets with rubber seal snap-on lids, but am intrigued by the Gamma Lid product.
So the question is; besides the obvious advantage of easy, screw on and off access, are there any other reasons I should invest in these things? Having never used them before, I am wondering how "bullet-proof" they are?
Also, Cheaper than Dirt sells them for $8.00 apiece, +s&h.
Are there local resources for them where I can get them cheaper? Also looking to locally source Mylar bags as well...any $ I can save can go right back into food and supply purchases.
Thanks for the help.

I am pretty new to the long term storage game too, but I thought that the Gamma lids provide an airtight seal whereas the standard lids are not air tight at least not after opening and closing them a few times. I could be wrong though. However, if you are sealing your goods in mylar bags before you put them in the buckets, I dont think that it matters too much since the food is sealed that way. I have not been using the Gamma lids at this point in my storage, but I still have a bit of a way to go on my long term goals.

I know the LDS cannery in PDX used to sell the buckets and the Gamma lids when you purchased goods from them, but I don't know if they sell them separatly. I buy my mylar bags from Amazon.com, and a lot of times they qualify for free "super saver" shipping. Just make sure that you are getting the thicker bags, and don't forget the o2 absorbers!

It would be nice to get some advice from other people on this though...

I buy my gamma seals at freckleface dot com for $5.85 each plus shipping. I use the gamma seals because it makes it simple to access the container, the additional plus is that they are airtight and leak proof. Yes, I think they are worth the cost.
I have seen tha gamma seals locally at Bob's Red Mill in milwaukee but can't remenber what they sell them for. I buy my mylar bags through sorbent systems and they seem to be competitively priced.

Been using Gamma Seals for several years,bought ours from Sportsman Guide back when they were 3 for $12.00(yeah long time ago).
They have held up very well to a lot of useage,so far no failures.
RK

Winco Foods if you have one in your neck of the woods sells Gamma lids for under $7......I bought a few last month along with white 5 gallon buckets at Winco as well. They also have smaller gamma lids for 2 or 2 1/2 gallon buckets but at the time they didn't have the smaller bucket to go with it so i didn't buy any smaller lids. Winco foods is great for bulk shopping as they have the huge bins of food to sell by the pound.

Winco Foods if you have one in your neck of the woods sells Gamma lids for under $7......I bought a few last month along with white 5 gallon buckets at Winco as well. They also have smaller gamma lids for 2 or 2 1/2 gallon buckets but at the time they didn't have the smaller bucket to go with it so i didn't buy any smaller lids. Winco foods is great for bulk shopping as they have the huge bins of food to sell by the pound.
Thanks!
Stopped by Winco this afternoon and picked up 3.
$6.98 apiece. I feel kind of dumb now for paying more from CTD, but you live and you learn...
Also bought some of their dehydrated bulk foods in small quantities just to test them out.
Made some of the dehydrated refried beans for the kids tonight in their tacos, Yummy!

I have 1 and probably need a couple more. Gamma Seals for us are for flour, sugar, oats/oatmeal, basically the stuff we get into alot. The rest are in square plastic buckets purchased at Bob's Red Mill(not the cheapest but convenient and no shipping) with mylar that have O2 absorbers inside. The plastic buckets store so much better from a space saving standpoint.

I agree that a few are very handy for accessing in-use goods. Definitely not needed for all storage.
They are nicely made and durable. I'm very happy I bought some.

I agree that a few are very handy for accessing in-use goods. Definitely not needed for all storage.
They are nicely made and durable. I'm very happy I bought some.

I agree with this. We have 2 that we bought from winco. We use these for flour and sugar. All the rest of the food storage has regular lids with mylar and O2 absorbers.

I would eventually like to get about 4 more gamma seal lids so that if we were ever using our food storage, we could just easily get into the bins of rice, beans, wheat etc. without having to pry the lid open each time.

If you don't already have it, buy the pail opener. they are under $4. I think I paid $1.98 at winco. they also sell them at home depot (paint department?)

Since it is not cost effective to have gamma seal lids on ALL your food storage, it makes a pail opener VERY cost effective.

I use them on our compost bucket and trash bucket. No smells escape at all and both have been in use for 10 years with semi-regular cleaning.

Was thinking the same thing...the fruit flies are killing me this year (Mrs Knot is about to call an end to my composting shenanigans).
I am going to pick up one of the 2 gal buckets and a lid tomorrow.
Great idea

I bought a few from winco as well. One for food storage, one for dog food (keeps the critters out) and one for our homemade laundry soap that's not in a dispenser. One thing I like about the gamma lids is the different colors available.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top