JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hmm.

-G19: 9mm. Some of us are heavy up in 9 ammo already. Possibly the standard CCW
-G32: but, for CCW, you want some BLAM, right? So, .357 would do the trick.

Conversion from one to the other caliber subtopic -- cost vs. performance?

Thoughts?

I'm also considering G36 since I'm up in .45 too, but the G21 series (non-slimlines) are non-starters for CCW, 'cuz they're big fat pigs, though shoot well.

I've thought about .357 SIG myself but the cost factor as well as the availability of ammo has kept me from adding that caliber to my currents. I definitely like the ballistics of the round but it isn't cheap to practice with. Now if you were able to convert a gun with a conversion barrel, that would change it a bit since you would have the option to shoot another caliber if .357 weren't readily available.

If you get a G23 you can have the .40 cal. the 9mm and the .357 sig all in the same package. Yeah it will be a little more money to spend but you will have 3 guns in 1. If you go that route all you need is factory 9mm mags because your .40 mags will work with the .357 sig rounds.
But If I had to pick one from your question, I would go with the 9mm because it seems like the ammo is easier to find, and it's cheaper. If you get some nice self defend rounds like the Federal HST.... you are good to go. I just got a conversion barrel for my G23 and if I decided to carry it as a 9mm I would run some good quality self defense rounds and I wouldn't even think twice. I would feel safe and to be honest... I could actually carry two 33 round mags as backup lol.

I think you are right about having the 3 in 1 gun, or even 2 in 1. Get the G23 with the .357 barrel, practice with the .40 and carry the .357. If you look at the ballistics of the .357 you are less likely to get collateral damage in a self defense situation. The .40 is powerful and goes through stuf were the .357 (if I am not mistaken) is designed not to. It hit and spreads and does alot of damage. Federal air marshals carry the .357 for that reason. Problem with the .357 round is that it is so expensive.

If it was me and I was looking at the 2 in 1 set up I would go XDM for the match grade barrels and the stronger barrels even though they might be a little heavier.

I think you are right about having the 3 in 1 gun, or even 2 in 1. Get the G23 with the .357 barrel, practice with the .40 and carry the .357. If you look at the ballistics of the .357 you are less likely to get collateral damage in a self defense situation. The .40 is powerful and goes through stuf were the .357 (if I am not mistaken) is designed not to. It hit and spreads and does alot of damage. Federal air marshals carry the .357 for that reason. Problem with the .357 round is that it is so expensive.

If it was me and I was looking at the 2 in 1 set up I would go XDM for the match grade barrels and the stronger barrels even though they might be a little heavier.

Only difference would be the design of the bullets the Air Marshals carry.Either one would,should penetrate the side of an airplane fairly easy,but the 357 being smaller,it would have a better chance than the 40.And it's faster

I thought the .357 sig was pretty much a 9mm magnum.... meaning it's a 9mm with more powder, causing it to move faster and have more energy when it hits. Based on what I know I would imagine the .357 sig has more penetration, fallowed by the 9mm and finally the .40 cal. I believe it's all in the bullet.... obviously you have more penetration with a fmj when you compare it to a jhp. I wonder if the air marshals use frangible rounds at all, and wasn't the glaser blue tips designed for them?

Having the correct mindset, strategy, skills, and using the most effective tactics in a dangerious and ugly situation far outweighs you're choice of caliber. These two choices are essentially the same gun. Therefore, get the caliber which allows you to train, practice, then train et al until mastery is achieved and maintained.

The development of defensive software (the list above) is of far greater importance than the refinement of hardware (caliber) selection.

The reality is if/when the "day" arrives when you come under attack you will most likely have to fight back with whatever your trembling hands pick up. It is possible it will not be your ideal caliber or prefered handgun choice. Nevertheless your mastery of the list of software provided above will carry you to victory and will allow you to prevail irregardless of the caliber and/or handgun you used.

There is much wisdom in having the flexibility of the G32 platform if it fits within your overall budget and mission profile. However while the selection of hardware is important, one's investment and commitment in developing their software is mission critical. Therefore make the choice based upon which one will help you support your lifelong investment in training, then practice, more training, then more practice et al...so keep the big picture in mind and not become bogged down or overwhelmed by all the options/considerations.

In the big scheme of things it is your software development and not your investment in hardware which will make the most significant difference in a stragety toward prevention of being attacked and then surviving the multiple attacks afterwards; the confiscation of your hardware for evidence, the criminal investigation, Grand Jury & trial perhaps, your name in the paper, neighbors/co-workers whispering as you walk by, the probablity of being sued and dealing with the physical, emotional, and spiritual aftermath.

That's really on my to-do; you guys are on the top of my list.

I've also trained in martial arts, so I've got that part covered (probably more likely to be used/have been used, than a gun-needed scenario, in my opinion). I'm all about training.

Cool! Full contact? Both grounded and standing? we do both at OFA. Youll get to reinforce your existing skills and build on them. Yea don't get to wrapped around the axle on the hardware. Too many people get hardware tunnel vision and weapon specific. If youve been training in MA and in full contact MA then youve reprogrammed yourself to not just retain the one weapon when it is tied up and instead seamlessly transition to the other hand which isn't a natural behavior. We'll build onto this concept with small arms. We'd be honored to have you at the OFA Dojo!

Earlier I did Muay Thai, but I've been in Karate for a few years, so yes, well at least a third of the time! :)

A little Wing Chun for good flow, but Aikido and Krav Maga really appeal to me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top