JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, but my point was that writing a letter to the governor with a fake name like Edison Bulb would really make the writer come across as being quite a wacko. So I was just trying to get confirmation from him that he used his real name.

Enough politicians as it is think all gun owners are strange oddballs. So we should not do things that would actually make us come across as such.

Monotone, canned, and utterly without substance would be a gross understatement for this reply. It reminds me of a reply I received from Patty (you couldn't blow my butt out of this seat) Murray on Barry Care. No only was it meaningless, it wasn't even on topic.

Now, if you had written about expanding domestic partnership rights, you would have not only received a reply with substance, but likely a sticker for your rear window.

Don't worry, Lance Jacobs -- I used my real name. Used my real name again when writing our pal Earl Blumenauer. Bold emphasis is mine. Here is his response:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear EDISON BULB:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on gun ownership and gun safety legislation.

I support the right of sportsmen to purchase guns to hunt and target shoot. I also support the right of law-abiding citizens to own certain firearms in accordance with the Second Amendment. However, I continue to believe that current gun laws in the United States are contributing to a problem of gun violence that is out of control.

Every year, hundreds of people die from gun accidents and thousands of people are killed by gun violence. Assault weapons are available over the counter and can come with enormous magazines that serve no purpose in sports or target shooting. In many states, it's impossible to even close the gun show loophole where individuals can purchase unlimited amount of guns without a reasonable background check. Too often our system of providing care to those with mental health disorders, who may become violent, falls short.

Poll after poll shows that many people actually do think that reasonable common-sense steps can be taken to reduce gun violence. I agree. This should be a galvanizing moment for everyone with an opinion on these issues to come together and have a thoughtful and rational conversation about gun safety. At the very least, we should all be able to agree that we do not want guns in the hands of those who fail a background check.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

signature_web.png

Earl Blumenauer
Member of Congress

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show