JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Overkill how? Dead is dead........

Why not shoot a "standard" bullet that can be readily found in "bulk"?

Also all depends on bullet type. I have 55gr, 5.56 rounds that would do more "damage" then 150gr .30 cal rounds.

In my .308 bolt gun I have one load and I stick with it. I use the 168gr Combined Technology bullets to hand load.

well ive never shot a dog with a .30 cal round of any type, but i DO know that my 22-250 tears em up pretty good, but i prefer the size of that over my .204 because its more of a guaranteed killshot. just wanted to try something new with the .308 but want to maintain velocity over power. i just kind of assumed that a 150g-170g round would do more damage, i guess?

what grain bullet do you prefer? i just picket up a new .308 because the thought of shooting a .308 at a yotie tickles me pink, but what grain do you use? lightest i can find is 150 grain, and that seems way "overkill" to me. opinions?

-
Not over kill at all . it all depends on what you have an hand that you like to use & if you want to use .308 win. 'then use it ' .
I have popped them with 175's all the way down to 125's . Try the .30 cal. 125 Speer TNT's . I really like them and they also do great out a .30-221/300blk also on coyotes .

what makes you decide you cant use anything less than 150 grn weight out your .308 ??

LOL - unless you are selling the pelts I wouldn't worry about weight. I'm thinking of using the 210gr SMK or 210 gr VLDs out of a 300 win mag for a change of pace. Still like the 69gr SMKs or 55gr Vmax in 223 for closer in but figured out at 700+ the 300 WM or even the 308 should do the job.

I didn't mean to say that a 150g or 168g round couldn't be used, I just assumed they'd do more damage than a 100-120g. Also. A bullet in that grain range will probably be considerably faster and flatter. I would actually like to try and tan a hide. Not necessarily sell them, but id like to have one that is worth looking at lol

yes for sure faster vel. and small weight is explosive especially the v-max or the sierra varminters . the real light weight .30 weight really drop off fast on the energy though after a just a coupe hundred yards, like the 110 grain weight . I used to shoot a lot of the 110 v-max and sierra but I like the 125 weight like the speer or a little heavier now for coyote in .30 cal. .

If I have my perfect coyote Cal. it would be in a 6mm variety, but in a .308 win. cal. I think for me around here I would run the 125 speer tnt's .
I have easy got the 155's vld's & scenars to run consistent accurate over 3000 fps Vel., in the .308 with a longer tube . So the 125's if taken to even close to there potential would be pretty badass in there energy and easy holdovers for longer down range hits . easy get 3300 vel, or even more out them no problem . The 125 speers are not to explosive and do a good job on coyotes even when slowed down to low 2400 vel.

My buddy shot this one. 180gr. Nosler left a big old hole! Not good for the pelt. But as stated above "Dead is dead"
Through the chest and out the middle of the back

IMG952011_zps97c39c32.jpg

Well.... Here's my opinion. I am a all star shooter on the deer, and everything else. Then there's the yotes... Those bastards own my azz. I suck at killing them. Like bad!
So in my crappy shooting opinion, I'd have a caliber that doesn't kick so hard that you have a hard time resighting on the dog!!
BUT.. Second shots on a dog are usually a prayer shot....
In regards to the .308, heavy enough to cut the wind, but not any heavier.
But I could be wrong, cause I suck at dogs.

LOL - unless you are selling the pelts I wouldn't worry about weight. I'm thinking of using the 210gr SMK or 210 gr VLDs out of a 300 win mag for a change of pace. Still like the 69gr SMKs or 55gr Vmax in 223 for closer in but figured out at 700+ the 300 WM or even the 308 should do the job.

That would be fun blasting yotes out at 700! I figure that would be mighty sporting!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top