JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Overkill how? Dead is dead........

Why not shoot a "standard" bullet that can be readily found in "bulk"?

Also all depends on bullet type. I have 55gr, 5.56 rounds that would do more "damage" then 150gr .30 cal rounds.

In my .308 bolt gun I have one load and I stick with it. I use the 168gr Combined Technology bullets to hand load.

well ive never shot a dog with a .30 cal round of any type, but i DO know that my 22-250 tears em up pretty good, but i prefer the size of that over my .204 because its more of a guaranteed killshot. just wanted to try something new with the .308 but want to maintain velocity over power. i just kind of assumed that a 150g-170g round would do more damage, i guess?

what grain bullet do you prefer? i just picket up a new .308 because the thought of shooting a .308 at a yotie tickles me pink, but what grain do you use? lightest i can find is 150 grain, and that seems way "overkill" to me. opinions?

-
Not over kill at all . it all depends on what you have an hand that you like to use & if you want to use .308 win. 'then use it ' .
I have popped them with 175's all the way down to 125's . Try the .30 cal. 125 Speer TNT's . I really like them and they also do great out a .30-221/300blk also on coyotes .

what makes you decide you cant use anything less than 150 grn weight out your .308 ??

LOL - unless you are selling the pelts I wouldn't worry about weight. I'm thinking of using the 210gr SMK or 210 gr VLDs out of a 300 win mag for a change of pace. Still like the 69gr SMKs or 55gr Vmax in 223 for closer in but figured out at 700+ the 300 WM or even the 308 should do the job.

I didn't mean to say that a 150g or 168g round couldn't be used, I just assumed they'd do more damage than a 100-120g. Also. A bullet in that grain range will probably be considerably faster and flatter. I would actually like to try and tan a hide. Not necessarily sell them, but id like to have one that is worth looking at lol

yes for sure faster vel. and small weight is explosive especially the v-max or the sierra varminters . the real light weight .30 weight really drop off fast on the energy though after a just a coupe hundred yards, like the 110 grain weight . I used to shoot a lot of the 110 v-max and sierra but I like the 125 weight like the speer or a little heavier now for coyote in .30 cal. .

If I have my perfect coyote Cal. it would be in a 6mm variety, but in a .308 win. cal. I think for me around here I would run the 125 speer tnt's .
I have easy got the 155's vld's & scenars to run consistent accurate over 3000 fps Vel., in the .308 with a longer tube . So the 125's if taken to even close to there potential would be pretty badass in there energy and easy holdovers for longer down range hits . easy get 3300 vel, or even more out them no problem . The 125 speers are not to explosive and do a good job on coyotes even when slowed down to low 2400 vel.

My buddy shot this one. 180gr. Nosler left a big old hole! Not good for the pelt. But as stated above "Dead is dead"
Through the chest and out the middle of the back

IMG952011_zps97c39c32.jpg

Well.... Here's my opinion. I am a all star shooter on the deer, and everything else. Then there's the yotes... Those bastards own my azz. I suck at killing them. Like bad!
So in my crappy shooting opinion, I'd have a caliber that doesn't kick so hard that you have a hard time resighting on the dog!!
BUT.. Second shots on a dog are usually a prayer shot....
In regards to the .308, heavy enough to cut the wind, but not any heavier.
But I could be wrong, cause I suck at dogs.

LOL - unless you are selling the pelts I wouldn't worry about weight. I'm thinking of using the 210gr SMK or 210 gr VLDs out of a 300 win mag for a change of pace. Still like the 69gr SMKs or 55gr Vmax in 223 for closer in but figured out at 700+ the 300 WM or even the 308 should do the job.

That would be fun blasting yotes out at 700! I figure that would be mighty sporting!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top