JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because of all of the importing and exporting, it is tough to tell how our food supply will fare. If borders are closed, no food in , but no food out. Can the US survive on what we grow and will we have to get used to not having fresh fruits and vegetables grown outside of the US during the winter months?

The PNW, especially Orygun, is more or less self-sufficient, except for petroleum. We have net exports of food, electrical energy and water. But there are things we don't grow enough of here anymore because it is cheaper and easier to grow it elsewhere. Also, we have a definite winter here - not so much in the southern US and Mexico and S. America where a lot of our fruit comes from.

We grow beans, potatoes, grains, other veggies and meat and eggs and dairy - but ALL of that depends on petroleum to fuel the field machines and the trucks to transport it (we are not at the point where electric trucks are on the market to replace the ones running diesel, and I have not seen any work being done on electric tractors or combines, etc. - although I haven't been paying attention to that, just trucks because that is what my employer made). We have more electric cars and buses, but not enough to get everybody to work yet - we have a long ways to go. We have plenty of electricity - so much that we export a lot of it to the south - but a lot of our transport infrastructure still depends on petroleum; trains, trucks, airplanes, ships.

So we are not self-sufficient yet.

The good thing about this CV emergency is that it has woken up some people to how fragile our whole existence is, how dependent we are on national and international supply lines, how easily people panic over things they don't necessarily need to panic over, or when. I don't want people to panic, I want them to prepare. The more prepared people are, the less likely they are to panic, the less panic there is, the smoother things will go if there is another emergency.

People used to be more self-sufficient. I lived thru the Columbus Day storm. Trees were down everywhere. Electricity was out everywhere. Roads were blocked. Cars were crushed. Houses demolished. People hurt and killed. There wasn't panic that I recall (I was only 8 years old), we just waited out the storm, then when it had passed thru, we all got together and worked to return to normal.

I don't see that happening with the way people live today - they have gotten too used to an easier life and too dependent on government and modern conveniences.

Last Edited:
There's two lines of though here. I tilled my garden every year. Seeds do better in a loose soil. I've never really understood the "No Till" method. Tilling incorporates fertilizer, air and organic mater INTO the soil. I had access to copious quantities of yard waste in the form of grass clippings and leaves. Every late summer/ fall heaps of that debris would be spread around the spaces where crops had finished. All through the mowing season grass clipping would be use to heavily mulch summer crops to help regulate moisture and keep weeds down. Along with time spent with a loop hoe disturbing new weed growth. When spring came an it was time to till all the debris that was on top had mostly been consumed by the bacteria in the soil over winter.

No till /low is big in dry land crop farming. This is in the corn belt and grains grown on the prairies. These are drying areas with no supplemental irrigation. Crop residue is left on the ground to add nutrients and prevent erosion. I have been watching a lot of YouTube on big farming methods and the equipment manufacturers are really making progress in low till technology.

This is also translating into larger more powerful machines and equipment so they have economy of scale in production. The American farmer feeds the world.

There are a few constants, soil is everything. The right profiles and structure are critical as to ow the plants perform. Grass clippings are about 75% or more water. Do not need to be removed from a lawn. You remove 50% of any applied fertilizers in the first 6 weeks if you collect clippings.

Engineered soils are the thing for planters, and pots. They are expensive and built for small applications. The big thing now is combining food / kitchen waste with brown debris ( ground up brush clippings along with some green wastes as well, and adding some soil. Thing is the food waste decomposes so fast and then leaves you with basically the brown waste and what ever soil you added to it. Those then become heavy mixes unless some light materials are added and you end up with poor drainage in the containers or beds.

I like adding some native soils to any engineered mixes for the micro nutrients that help a lot of vegetable crops out a lot. The types of materials that are referred to as " organic matter" make up about 5% of a soil profile. They usually decompose quickly leaving you with what ever soil structures you have from the soils you used.

This tractor is a beast. 720 cubic inches putting out 670 hp with a fuel burn around 400 gallons a day. Probably in the 400K range. I will take 3.

No till /low is big in dry land crop farming. This is in the corn belt and grains grown on the prairies. These are drying areas with no supplemental irrigation. Crop residue is left on the ground to add nutrients and prevent erosion. I have been watching a lot of YouTube on big farming methods and the equipment manufacturers are really making progress in low till technology.

This is also translating into larger more powerful machines and equipment so they have economy of scale in production. The American farmer feeds the world.

There are a few constants, soil is everything. The right profiles and structure are critical as to ow the plants perform. Grass clippings are about 75% or more water. Do not need to be removed from a lawn. You remove 50% of any applied fertilizers in the first 6 weeks if you collect clippings.

Engineered soils are the thing for planters, and pots. They are expensive and built for small applications. The big thing now is combining food / kitchen waste with brown debris ( ground up brush clippings along with some green wastes as well, and adding some soil. Thing is the food waste decomposes so fast and then leaves you with basically the brown waste and what ever soil you added to it. Those then become heavy mixes unless some light materials are added and you end up with poor drainage in the containers or beds.

I like adding some native soils to any engineered mixes for the micro nutrients that help a lot of vegetable crops out a lot. The types of materials that are referred to as " organic matter" make up about 5% of a soil profile. They usually decompose quickly leaving you with what ever soil structures you have from the soils you used.

This tractor is a beast. 720 cubic inches putting out 670 hp with a fuel burn around 400 gallons a day. Probably in the 400K range. I will take 3.

I'm not so scientific, it just kinda made sense to me to combine everything above to make things grow. I like to make things grow. If I have food from those things after they grow, all the better.

Squash. Easy to grow. Lots of calories. Stores at room temperature for a significant period. Can be canned or frozen. Lots of energy in the seeds.

Takes a lot of room to grow, matures late in summer, needs good soil, is susceptible to mildew before maturity, and most of it tastes like crap! :s0140: Well, seeds are good, I guess.

Takes a lot of room to grow, matures late in summer, needs good soil, is susceptible to mildew before maturity, and most of it tastes like crap! :s0140: Well, seeds are good, I guess.

Blue Hubbard -- very sweet, very smooth flesh without stringiness, and the squashes are the size of small bombs.

squash.jpeg

We had a LOT of squash on the farm. I never ate any of it - can't stand it no matter how my mom prepared it or what kind it was. Occasionally I will eat small portions of it in Asian food - the spices/sauces hide the flavor of small portions, but never by itself.

When it got too big we fed it to the cows - who loved it (had to be careful when feeding garden leftovers to the cows; they can bloat if you give them too much too fast).

We had a LOT of squash on the farm. I never ate any of it - can't stand it no matter how my mom prepared ...

Blue hubbard tastes more like sweet potato -- very mild, very sweet, stores at room temperature up to six months, and just one will feed a lot of people. If we have food shortages, I would think the coming winter is when it would be difficult and so having a pile of something like this could be useful and the long growing time an advantage because they'll be perfect when things are bad. Add to that that they are easy to grow, aren't hybrids so you can save seeds, and I would say it is a good choice for a beginning gardener worried more about survival than taste -- although really, the taste and texture is delightful. Half and half with potatoes makes the best mashed potatoes. It's great in pies. And if the internet is to be believed, excellent for lung health, has anti-inflammatory properties, and good for lowering BP -- so a CV19 fighter:

I'll end my blue hubbard evangelism -- I do love these though and I see them as a solid SHTF garden choice.

Blue Hubbard -- very sweet, very smooth flesh without stringiness, and the squashes are the size of small bombs.

View attachment 688287
Blue hubbard tastes more like sweet potato -- very mild, very sweet, stores at room temperature up to six months, and just one will feed a lot of people. If we have food shortages, I would think the coming winter is when it would be difficult and so having a pile of something like this could be useful and the long growing time an advantage because they'll be perfect when things are bad. Add to that that they are easy to grow, aren't hybrids so you can save seeds, and I would say it is a good choice for a beginning gardener worried more about survival than taste -- although really, the taste and texture is delightful. Half and half with potatoes makes the best mashed potatoes. It's great in pies. And if the internet is to be believed, excellent for lung health, has anti-inflammatory properties, and good for lowering BP -- so a CV19 fighter:

I'll end my blue hubbard evangelism -- I do love these though and I see them as a solid SHTF garden choice.

If a person were hungry, I/they'd eat it in a heart beat! Growing up in the Salt Lake Valley, where big family gardens were common. Large variety squash was common. Our family grew Banana Squash.
1587744364470.png

That could be 3' or more long. My folks would keep them in the outside stair well covered with blankets in winter. For Sunday dinner, go down, hack off a chunk, cover the end with a bag. Cut it in smaller pieces and cook it. I'm sure your Blue Hubbard would do the same in a cold dry winter climate.

Here, this side of the Cascades, mildew on the leaves is an issue. Controlling it is difficult.

Never cared much for squash, It's a shame. I do eat acorn squash a couple times a year. Well, once anyway. "Turkey Thursday" has always had squash on the table. Cut it in half, butter, salt/pepper and a bit of brown sugar and bake in a glass dish with 1/2" water in the bottom.

Sweet potatoes - another food I don't like.:(

Oh man --

These things are bears!
Though Canadian pigs vary widely, Brook and his team captured at least one wild hog that was well over 600 pounds.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews