Florida CHL Short Wait

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by cascadianliberty2012, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

Florida permits are showing up ahead of schedule. I just got mine back in about 5 weeks. I just thought I would let you all know.

Larrytpdx likes this.
  2. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx
    Pyongyang, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Where did you take your Florida CHL class and how much did it co$t? I have a Utah permit but although Utah reciprocates with Florida it does NOT allow non-Utah residents to carry there. You MUST be a Utah resident to CC in Florida with a Utah permit.
    Carry on!

3. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

There actually isn't a real Florida non-resident class. You must take a class that shows "competency with a firearm." I just made a copy of a couple of my Threat Dynamics certificates and sent those. At the time I had only taken the concealed carry class and "Use of Force 101." Prior to my application, I had emailed the Florida department of agriculture (yes, they do the CHLs there) about this and had asked if this would do, which they agreed.

The bottom of the page with "question 16" outlines what you will need: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/con...ealedWeaponLicenseApplicationInstructions.pdf

Larrytpdx likes this.
  4. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx
    Pyongyang, OR

Interesting. What did you do for fingerprints?

5. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

I just went to the local police station and had some taken. Pretty easy stuff.

Larrytpdx likes this.
  6. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx
    Pyongyang, OR

Multnomah County or PPD? Did they scan them?

7. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

My address is in Beaverton, so I went to Washington County Police on Murray. Really though, I don't think it matters where you get fingerprints done, so long as you have them. If Multnomah County is a pain to deal with, just go elsewhere.

Mine were digital, then printed onto the cards. I just sent in the card along with everything else. If you think you might need more than just a couple cards, you might want to have some extras printed because they are radically cheaper after your first 2.

Larrytpdx likes this.
  8. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx
    Pyongyang, OR

Great info. Thanks!
    BTW, what did WashCo charge you? I didn't know they had an office on Murray!

cascadianliberty2012 likes this.
  9. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

I think 2 cards was about $25, but then an additional 2 was only around another $7-8. If you're planning on applying for other permits or any NFA items, you might as well order a few. The biggest nuisance is filling out all the cards!

Larrytpdx likes this.
  10. P7id10T

P7id10T
    West Slope
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

@cascadianliberty2012, thanks for the info !
    You're talking about the fee to administer the fingerprinting, right? Do they provide cards with that?
    Years ago I had to have a bunch of fingerprinting, went to the OSP office on Portland Ave NE in Salem. IIRC it was $5. I see it's $40 now.

If you write FL DoA, they will send you cards. I have a few because I was going to get FL and PA. For me, WashCo is the easiest place to go.

11. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx
    Pyongyang, OR

Great! I see, and other Forum members may be interested to know that;
    Former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service as a certificate of competency
    so I'm covered there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    cascadianliberty2012 likes this.
  12. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

Yes the $25-ish included the cards. You walk in, say you need fingerprinting, they ask how many, you pay, they hand you the cards, you fill them out, then they take you back and fingerprint you. Easy.

I might suggest that if you are interested in Pennsylvania, apply for New Hampshire instead. It is much easier to do and New Hampshire covers Pennsylvania. I have the application and everything ready, just haven't gotten around to it quite yet.

P7id10T likes this.
  13. P7id10T

P7id10T
    West Slope
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Concealed.PNG
    I wont be going for PA. I did the "what-ifs" and determined that OR, UT, ID non-enhanced, and ND give me all states except those in red (duh!). Then, if I ever plan on going there, I'll apply for SC and IL too. Kommiefornia? Fuggit.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  14. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775
    Coast Range
    VINCE AUT MORIRE Bronze Supporter

National Reciprocity may be coming soon.;)

15. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

A bill might pass, but then the Marxist states would just refuse to recognize it or pass "laws" negating it. Then we would enter a long court battle that we would obviously prevail in, but years later.

16. cooldudeinPDX

cooldudeinPDX
    Portland,Oregon

Call this place. They will provide the class and necessary shooting demonstrations needed to optain FL permit. Mr Dan Blackstone is a very good instructor.

Blackstone Gun Safety

17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Hope it never happens
    THE FEDS WILL SCREW US ON THIS
    VOTE AGAIST IT EVERY CHANCE YOU GET

18. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012
    None

The only national reciprocity that I want is "no permit required."

Larrytpdx and mjbskwim like this.
  19. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx
    Pyongyang, OR

Just sent my application off. They have expedited processing for active military and veterans so we'll see how long it takes! Thanks @cascadianliberty2012

Stomper likes this.
  20. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx
    Pyongyang, OR

I just called to check the status of my Florida CWL and was advised it has been approved, printed and mailed! I mailed my application on 1/26 and they received it on 1/30 so that’s just over 2 weeks! That is definitely expedited service for veterans!