JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, just got some lead, a lee production pot, and a 230gr mold to cast some subs for my 300blk.

I dont have a thermometer that will work with the lead for the moment, but i tried casting it hot, cool, inbetween, with the mold cold to hot, didnt seem to make a difference. 99% of my bullets looked like this
20190124_182248-1.jpg

Never done any of this before, so I thought some experienced eyes might know whats going on.

Thanks

If you've tried different temps for sure then I know adding tin helps fill out the mold better. But I just barely starting casting as well so I dont have any personal experience

When I was casting lead fishing weights a new mold would be pre-seasoned by holding the open mold over a long wicked burning wax candle that was letting off black smoke.
We would coat the inside of the mold as it leaves a slick surface.
The lead would settle in fast and it would release more smoothly after it cooled enough.
Don't know if this will help, but it did resolve the same issues you're coming up with.

Last Edited:
If it's a good alloy then from the looks of it it is not hot enough, I did the same thing when I first started, took me a while to realize what I thought was hot really wasn't.

Otherwise it could also be a pure alloy, in which case some wheel weights or lead shot will help, or possibly oil in the mold.

the melt appears too cool, the pour may be slow and the mold is not heated up enough.
Make sure you have good flow out the bottom.
I usually place my mold in the melt to heat up, if too hot, it cools down fairly quick.

I cast a lot.

I agree that your lead looks like it may not be hot enough I have a cheap hot plate that I sit my molds on to keep them up to temp when things get slow.

Last Edited:
Assuming these are new molds. That being true, you'll want to "smoke" them. Using matches, let the flame get long and smoke the mold cavities until they're blackened. Seems to help the lead flow more smoothly.

Also make sure your using a single, quick and smooth pour. You'll quickly get a feel for it and fall into a rhythm. Consistency is the key to success...

thanks everybody. Grabbing some solder to add a bit of tin, and borrowing a temp gun and hot plate from work to actually know where I'm at temp-wise.

It's kind of funny, I mill molds for injection molding of silicone for a living, much more intricate than bullets, but a very different filling process. I kinda want to cut my own bullet molds though. I bet I could do much better than Lee.

Got it figured out, thanks again. I could tell the lead was a lot less viscous when flowing into a much hotter mold.

Now to figure out powdercoating this weekend.

Got it figured out, thanks again. I could tell the lead was a lot less viscous when flowing into a much hotter mold.

Now to figure out powdercoating this weekend.
As a new caster just last night I did my first successful powdercoat session. I tried a little while back with the "infamous" harbor freight red and it was terribly uneven and splotchy. And in the places it did stick it was so thick I couldn't get it through the Lee push through sizing die. (I was pushing so hard on the press handle I was afraid my bench was gonna tip over....) i then tried higher quality powder and it worked flawlessly

I've heard different reviews of it. So it might be a batch or lot thing

Here's the link that has the info for a guy that tons of people have recommended.
VS - Hi quality Powder for DT or Spraying bullets

I've heard Eastwood brand is pretty good too. I'm not sure if that would be available anywhere local or not though.
Love me some Eastwood. Not sure what happened with that batch of hf red you used it's usually more user friendly. I have to say that humidity (both too much or too little) seems to affect the thickness and coverage using the shake and bake method. I seem to get the most uniform coverage at the thickness I want from 1 coat between 50-70% humidity.

Love me some Eastwood. Not sure what happened with that batch of hf red you used it's usually more user friendly. I have to say that humidity (both too much or too little) seems to affect the thickness and coverage using the shake and bake method. I seem to get the most uniform coverage at the thickness I want from 1 coat between 50-70% humidity.

Yeah I new I couldn't expect too much from the HF red but this was surprising. Granted all my casting/powdercoating happens in a shed where humidity is very high living in western wa. But the stuff I bought online worked great in the same conditions.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top