JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah I new I couldn't expect too much from the HF red but this was surprising. Granted all my casting/powdercoating happens in a shed where humidity is very high living in western wa. But the stuff I bought online worked great in the same conditions.
There is no doubt the higher quality powder works better. I have a dehumidifier available it just makes things more consistent batch to batch.

I started out with Harbor Freight powder too. I had mixed results with it when I was learning. I bought some better quality powder from Smoke at the link above and it really worked a lot better. Now I mix them to use up the Harbor Freight stuff and it works fine. It makes for some bland, grayish colors, but that's fine for me.

A little goes a long way. I bought 3 pounds at HF and a pound from Smoke several years ago, and still have plenty left.

I started out with Harbor Freight powder too. I had mixed results with it when I was learning. I bought some better quality powder from Smoke at the link above and it really worked a lot better. Now I mix them to use up the Harbor Freight stuff and it works fine. It makes for some bland, grayish colors, but that's fine for me.

A little goes a long way. I bought 3 pounds at HF and a pound from Smoke several years ago, and still have plenty left.
That's a good idea mixing it!

I bought a lb of red and a lb of pearl grey from the powder coat store. I've done several thousand 44 magnum and 45/70 bullets and I doubt if I have used half of it yet. The biggest issue I've run into is getting sizing lube off so it coats even since I size before I coat. My next plan is to try dish soap for sizing lube since it should be easier to remove with no residue. I just use the cheap Lee push through sizing dies, work well enough for me.

Just cause it works for me. We shoot 2 different Super Blackhawks and 2 different 29 Smiths with no leading whatsoever. The Rugers are loaded to top end, the Smiths are medium loads.

Not to dis something that works, but you can size after coating without using lube. The PC is plenty slick enough to allow the bullet through the die. This way you save a step and you are ensured the final diameter of the bullet. PC can be anywhere from 0.002 - 0.004 thick (or thicker if you are heavy handed in it's application) even when you are very careful to coat them the same way.

With the feeding of four different revolvers I'd be looking to save some steps.

Again, not trying to be testy here … but just discuss ideas and methods and perhaps learn something in the process.

Works for me so I'm not likely to change it. Cast, size and coat, doesn't matter if it's 4 guns or or more to me, they all using the same bullets and its only three steps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top