JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oooh yeah. He's too much like his dad in that regard. I used to get quite frustrated with fishless days, moreso if adults got fish but not me.

And I was a snarky little turd when *I* caught fish and the adults didn't. I am thinking my boy is karma embodied sometimes. Simeine, somewhere uttered the curse "may your child be just like you" - if I find that person, I'm gonna slap em! :D

The one thing that's different, when I was a kid fishing meant soaking a worm, on the bottom. Didn't matter if we were banking or boating, tactic was always the same, except at Diamond Lake, where worms were often swapped out for cubes of Velveeta "Cheese"

It seemed like 80% of the Velveeta sold in the state was in the two shops near that lake :D

I started fishing lures and flies as a teen, because still fishing with bait got reeal boring. I started reading everything I could on fishing, and I wanted to be like Bill Dance, Babe Winkleman, Roland Martin, and Larry Schoenborn.

So I am getting the boy started on lures early, because maaybe he'll be less of a pest if he's not totally bored. Casting & reeling kept him more focused. When he got frustrated his Rapala was not getting hook ups, and I suggested switching to a bobber & jig, he flatly refused saying he preferred the cast & retrieve, and wanted to get a fish on a lure. We tried going to a Snap Bean - the smallest crankbait I know of. It was too light for him to cast well with, but it had fish take a wack. I forgot my splitshot at home (bad papa) or I would've put a bb shot above it for casting weight.

I never got into the bass thing even while I was raised in the south. Bluegill crappie catfish that's my game in warm water.

Let's talk Kokanee.:D

I never got into the bass thing even while I was raised in the south. Bluegill crappie catfish that's my game in warm water.

Bass is where it's at! No better eating either!!!

Kokes... going soon... I hope. Been buying and playing with kokes lures, a new reel, and a new pole, for weeks now. I hope the upcoming trip lives up to my enthusiasm. Maybe I should focus more on getting to meet Argonaut. :D

Only bass fishing I did when visiting the midwest was throwing chenille jogs for white basd, or what they called 'sand bass' back there. Like crappies, bit typically bigger as far as tackle, fight, and eating went.

I got bit by bass fishing bug as a teen when I started fishing on my own, and began seeing huge fish up in the weeds, just a foot or two from the bank. I made it my mission to learn how to catch em.

Largemouth in the trees and weeds/lilies, over mud, smallmouth over rocks.:)

2nd to last boat I had was one of these, Bayliner 18' with 125hp Force motor (produces about 75 shaft HP but it was good enough to scare my wife at 50mph:)). They're not an expensive boat. :

1986-bayliner-bassboat-3000-americanlisted_34203453.jpg

Bass is where it's at! No better eating either!!!

Kokes... going soon... I hope. Been buying and playing with kokes lures, a new reel, and a new pole, for weeks now. I hope the upcoming trip lives up to my enthusiasm. Maybe I should focus more on getting to meet Argonaut. :D

I believe that fishing is life and fishing with good people is as good as it gets In this ole world.;)
I've been on fishing excursions or if you will, Adventures where we threw everything including the kitchen sink at them and the fish just dodged it all.
What really saves a trip is being with a friend or newcomer on the boat and never being at a loss for words with them.;)
I do hope you guys have a great time and remember to post pics or it didn't happen. Lol:p:p:p

If anything happens!! Other than me falling in. Fat boy now. Clumsy too. ;)

I'm kind of a quiet guy. Not one for telling stories but I'm sure Argo will see to it that I am comfortable. So looking forward to having a new buddy... I hope.

I always like to take a pic when I'm bored to tears some days, Like Drano a few weeks ago I have about 100 pics of my trusted com padre... 20180518_081307.jpg

Didn't see anyone else catching anything either, so glad I was not alone in the struggle.

What surprised me most, there did not seem to be the usual schoolie bass near the sheriff's boathouse. They should be in post spawn mode at this point. Nada.

Next week I may try Vernonia, smaller puddle, maybe more chance of getting a fish. I'd love to find a new spot to chace bass that doesn't require a 2 or 3 hour drive, or a boat to properly fish.
I was at Vernonia last month. I was disappointed to see the majority of lilypads that were to the right of the parking lot dead and gone.

That's good to know, I was fearing there was an issue with die off. That's a fun pond in a kayak and I would hate to see it go.

Lots of folks had no idea what water lily roots look like, they wondered what the weird sticks were.

Last year's low, hot water was crazy. Had the fish lethargic and concentrated under the pad raft in the middle. The west end fishing dock was sitting on dry land it was so low. :eek:

We've been out a couple times this year, got trout but no bass out of there yet.

Lots of folks had no idea what water lily roots look like, they wondered what the weird sticks were.

Last year's low, hot water was crazy. Had the fish lethargic and concentrated under the pad raft in the middle. The west end fishing dock was sitting on dry land it was so low. :eek:

We've been out a couple times this year, got trout but no bass out of there yet.
They remind me of octopus tentacles for some reason.

They remind me of octopus tentacles for some reason.
Me too!

Honestly I thought they we palm trees somebody dumped until I noticed the lake was full and came to the next logical conclusion of them being lily pad roots.

Haven't seen bass or crappie yet, but there are plenty of trout!

I made a decent showing with crappie at Hagg lake yesterday. The bass were showing no love. That lake was dead calm the whole time I was on the water (6:30-12:00). Today the wind started kicking up to the point I called it quits at 11:00.

Well, I'm going there this weekend and hope to get some crappie as i've never caught any there. I've done well with trout and bass, but crappie are still a myth to me there.

I made a decent showing with crappie at Hagg lake yesterday. The bass were showing no love. That lake was dead calm the whole time I was on the water (6:30-12:00). Today the wind started kicking up to the point I called it quits at 11:00.
If I didn't see huge bass swim by with my own eyes, I'd be convinced that there weren't any bass at all in Hagg. I can only catch trout there for some reason. Overfished maybe? I do typically go on a Monday, after the pressure of the weekend. Haven't tried for crappie yet.

If I didn't see huge bass swim by with my own eyes, I'd be convinced that there weren't any bass at all in Hagg. I can only catch trout there for some reason. Overfished maybe? I do typically go on a Monday, after the pressure of the weekend. Haven't tried for crappie yet.

I've had the same luck with the smallies the few times I've tried for them. You see 'em below the boat in 20' of crystal clear water. That's part of the problem....You see them? They see you. And ad to that the mass numbers of small yellow perch. What do they need you for? Meh, not worth the hassle! For me anyway. I'd need to tow the boat from NE PDX through downtown. And BACK AGAIN!!:eek: Done it, don't need the mess. I like hearing the stories and seeing the pics though. :)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top