JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ya'll should give big swimbaits a try. I have at least had the biguns follow them to within a rod length, watched them swipe at the lure, and occasionally stick one. :D othrrwise, stickbsits ala Senko or Yum Dingers, lipless and shallow rynning cranks are my go to baits.

I was fishing the Tualatin earlier with flies, picked up a few smallies on a deceiver.

I use a lot of 5-6" swimbaits and shimmy sticks(senko style worms), how big we talking?

I got my best smallie of the year cpl seasons back on a 7 inch rainbow trout swimbait. I watched a guy pull a 5-6lb bass off the bank with a 12 inch glidebait a few weeks ago. I know a few guys who routinely throw the big soft swimbaits and get the big mommas, and the 2-3lb fish still eat those. A 17 inch largemouth (about 3lbs) can eat a 10 inch largemouth according to bass expert biologists.

FYI Sportsmans Warehouse carries some of the 5 and 7 inch in both hard and soft varieties. I use my heaviest baitbaster to throw them, currently a 7'6" medium heavy power fast action. I would be using a 7'6" heavy power if I had one, esp for the soft bait, as its 2.5 oz. The hard baits I have only weigh about an ounce or so.

pTpgnJM.jpg

VxaPQ58.jpg

BvxjeDK.jpg

pFYiCy4.jpg

Heres a few random Hagg bass pix from the past few years, I hardly get pix of my fish, so gotta rely on others to snap em

HH4ohIG.jpg

That one fell to a 5 inch Dinger fished weightless wacky, pumpkin with chartreuse tail. Thats the most common color / size I throw.

386FFlg.jpg

That one we got fly fishing small leech patterns under a float for trout. Nice by catch, not huge, but fun on a 3 weight.

J0ppjih.jpg

That one ate a big Bomber deep diver. Kid was 3 foot tall in that pic, fish was about half his length.

I used to throw deep diving Rapala Husky jerks with 3/4 oz weights off drop offs for mackinaw, but we actually caught a lot more bass... of course the lure was a trout!

We fished Brownlee on Sunday, missed the big Crappie bite but my brother caught a nice mess off small mouth bass. He sent some fillets home with us........I have never warmed up to large mouth Bass, I can smell them as soon as I make the first cut but this small mouth was great. Quite a few bones but they were large and easy to deal with. The meat was outstanding cooked with some good Idaho onions and mushrooms in butter. I guess, I need to have BBBASS teach me how to catch them.

We fished Brownlee on Sunday, missed the big Crappie bite but my brother caught a nice mess off small mouth bass. He sent some fillets home with us........I have never warmed up to large mouth Bass, I can smell them as soon as I make the first cut but this small mouth was great. Quite a few bones but they were large and easy to deal with. The meat was outstanding cooked with some good Idaho onions and mushrooms in butter. I guess, I need to have BBBASS teach me how to catch them.
Neat! I have only tried Largmouth and assumed the smallies tasted just the same. Will have to investigate...thanks!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top