First trout on a fly rod

OP
2DaMtns

2DaMtns

Reactions
Fly fishing is an art, and it's addictive. Welcome to the club. :)
I'm hooked. I think about it all day. I try to get out a couple times a week, even if it's just to a little local lake to practice casting. I already have two pilgrimages in the back of my mind, for once I'm better. One back east to a hike in only stream, and one to the New Zealand backcountry. Then the wife wants to go to Patagonia. I guess I'll try to find time. She's my best catch!

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
I'm hooked. I think about it all day. I try to get out a couple times a week, even if it's just to a little local lake to practice casting. I already have two pilgrimages in the back of my mind, for once I'm better. One back east to a hike in only stream, and one to the New Zealand backcountry. Then the wife wants to go to Patagonia. I guess I'll try to find time. She's my best catch!
the Deschutes from above Maupin to the Columbia is a decent trout stream too.

osprey

Reactions
Nice one! I started flyfishing for searun cutthroat in the salt 40 years ago and still enjoy it to this day. I have successfully flyfished for Salmon, Steelhead, panfish, bass, surfperch and trout. These days I mostly only flyfish for the searun cutts due to my easy access to the fishery and their abundance. It is all C and R but I highly recommend finding an area to chase them as they are pound for pound one of the best fighters out there with a flare for taking to the air! Tight lines.

Last edited:
No idea where the pictures are, but i know there is my first fish on the fly at the age of 9!
I find it relaxing to flyfish, even "Serious" like Steelhead fishing! Wait till you discover the joys amd addiction of casting Spey rods!:D
Adds another layer of cool factor to the mix, AND it opens up waters you couldnt fish any other way! Then there is tying your own flies and catching your first fish on ypur own patterns, and building your own rods too!:)
Its a sickness!

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
No idea where the pictures are, but i know there is my first fish on the fly at the age of 9!
I find it relaxing to flyfish, even "Serious" like Steelhead fishing! Wait till you discover the joys amd addiction of casting Spey rods!:D
Adds another layer of cool factor to the mix, AND it opens up waters you couldnt fish any other way! Then there is tying your own flies and catching your first fish on ypur own patterns, and building your own rods too!:)
Its a sickness!
Back when I guided for largemouth bass in the midwest 40 years ago I built my own bass casting rods. That gets additive too. :)

Last edited:

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
More than decent, folks come from all over the world to fish it. :)
The Umpqua and Metolius are great places to go as well. Congratulations on your first fish.
I grew up fishing the Carson River between CA and NV. Much the same terrain and conditions. I think the Carson was better, but that's just my childhood memories. The Deschutes may be better.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom