JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure about other states but it's illegal in Oregon for the driver to watch a movie while the vehicle is in motion. There's a safety feature built by the factory to disable this fearure if the screen can be seen from the drivers seat. He either disabled this feature or viewing movies was allowed while using auto pilot.

It may be illegal, but it is very easy to do.
Have a smarty-pants phone?
Have a suction device to hold it, or one of those that clips to the vent.
Movies!

I think there is a time for self driving car to self drive, such as a long boring straight freeway situation like I-5 south down below the mid CA state region like south of SF. Man that is a long boring drive with no stop and go or cross traffic.

Any time there is the least chance of cross traffic, I would not allow the self drive thing. Any one who allows the car to self drive in a large metropolitan area well, that is just suicide.

I can only marvel when I think of how many wrecks I drove out of and avoided by being very alert and driving defensibly over the years.

Would a self driving car have those skills, could it look far right and left and 1/4 mile down the road and think about what can possibly happen when you get up beside that possibly drunk person swerving side to side gently 1/4 mile up ahead?

The answer to those questions is pretty easy.

Now jump ahead 20 or 30 years where most if not all of the cars on the road are self driving and the technology has advanced and yes I would then hope I could trust a self driving car in any circumstance.

They [future cars] will all be networked and can safely speed up to really high speeds on the highway and then know far enough ahead that collectively, they should all slow together as a group from 120 mph down to 30 mph etc.

Intersection will be really interesting as the computers will have enough control to no longer need stop lights as the cars will have the ability to "thread the needle" through an intersection without even slowing down, missing each other by inches at 60 mph and above with "no worries". This will be necessary as to save fuel in the future and be efficient, little to no stopping will take place until you reach your destination.

Cars will just automatically avoid each other and keep on going. Future citizens will think nothing of it as they will be working or sleeping or playing video games, what ever, with ZERO need to see anything outside the car.

Your grand kids will travel in exactly that manor, maybe even you, if you are young.

In 20 to 30 years there will still be cars from 2016 that are no self-driving, just as today there are cars from 1990 and earlier.

Whether these older cars are allowed on certain roads alongside self-driving cars or not, is debatable. By then I will probably no longer have my drivers license.

In 20 to 30 years there will still be cars from 2016 that are no self-driving, just as today there are cars from 1990 and earlier.

Whether these older cars are allowed on certain roads alongside self-driving cars or not, is debatable. By then I will probably no longer have my drivers license.

I think in a few years it will be seen a socially irresponsible to drive ones own car.
Much like smoking in the office is today. :rolleyes:

I want both.

But this self driving car thing got me thinking.
What about smart everything. Just think what they might do to hunting? :eek:

Smart scope/gun combinations. With the ability to prevent shooting anything other than the pre selected species. In a pre selected areas?

Impact compensating cross hairs to better facilitate an ethical kill?

Scopes that text message and report time and location of animal harvested. And that animals stats?
GPS, Hunting regulations, and even streaming video. All viewed through the scopes display screen?

I see a future. Where there will be far less ''us''. And far more ''it'' in our lives.

And please tell me? How are we going to know what were good at? Or even capable of?
Will it even matter to future generations?o_O

Will selfies one day tell the owner: No, I am too dangerous to drive. I need tires, brakes, muffler bearings, ect?

I don't like relinquishing control to things with an off button. I like electronic aids and all but it ends there for me. Also, FedEx/pizza delivering drone off my property. A mans gotta work.

I think in a few years it will be seen a socially irresponsible to drive ones own car.
Much like smoking in the office is today. :rolleyes:

Hell, today in some social circles it's irresponsible to own a car....

CFD17.jpg Break-free-Fossil-fuel-oil-trains-protest-US.jpg 549492_603887766299761_262631266_n.jpg

Ray

I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

The last days' posts in this thread are really musings on the robots.

Look, if some idiot who cannot say Nuclear, had said in 2000, we are going to track you 24 x 7
there would have been a revolution. Yet we have that today. The One didn't do it. We did.

Remember reading 1984 in school. Big Brother. We have that, potential, today. They, NSA, other 3-letter agencies we don't know, can enable your phone - mic, camera - and check on you. In the book, the people had to exercise - camera's in the homes - instructor challenging the people. That technology is in your pocket.

The robots are here. They come in other forms than maybe the people were expecting.

As to the point of older cars, I think I shared this in the other self-driving car thread, some guy made his own self driving car. Quote from that is that the first 90% is easy ( long stretches on roads like I5 (from above))

As to the aiming. One of my major pet peeves with SciFi where they have some kind of blaster
is if you can make an energy weapon, how is it not auto aiming - only shoot "bad guys" not shooting buildings, cars, trees, blast doors etc.
examples:
marvin_pointing_gun.gif men-in-black-noisy-cricket-by-drussell19.jpg

52423512e691b270417d927e_736.jpg

How do you know all the comments I post are not really written by a robot?

When I first read 1984, I thought it would be financially impossible to put telescreen technology in every location. It didn't occur to me that people would actually pay for it themselves and welcome it to boot. The fact that they go out of their way to get that technology, in fact demand it, is remarkable... and disappointing.:(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top