JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have four 410,;4006tsw, Cs40 and the 4516. The problem is that for some of the rarer smith's is that trying to find parts such as magazines is difficult. I have not seen a Cs40 magazine that they did not want over 50$ for if they even have them in Stock.

I guess I over looked these old pistols. Then I ran across a good deal on a 6904 9mm and bought it. That started me looking for info. on the web. I even bought the "Standard catalog of Smith & Wesson" book.

Monday I need to pick up a money order and mail it for a 645, 45acp., gunbroker auction gun.

So I thought I'd ask how many fans there are here for these old guns. Maybe see if we could get a good discussion about them going. I see a few more in my future.

Don

Cool man. That's how you get started. I absolutely love my 4006 and 4506. I sold my 5906 to my uncle, because he just had to have the dang thing. These 3rd gens are often overlooked because they are heavy, but the great thing about them is you can shoot them all day long without worry of a failure and recoil is so soft on them that it's actually very enjoyable. I always look forward to shoots we have at the range when I can bring these things out and play with them. Like I've said many times before, this is one pistol design that has never let me down or stranded... I've seen many other designs give up the ghost half way through a competition or have some sort of failure, causing them to lose. If you do more research, you'll run across some interesting articles on the 4506 and how reliable they are. Some guys refer to them as their garbage ammo disposal.... I also left out how tank like strong these actions are. Some guys modify their 4506's to shoot the 45 Super. I also have no qualms shooting +P ammo in mine...

I have four 410,;4006tsw, Cs40 and the 4516. The problem is that for some of the rarer smith's is that trying to find parts such as magazines is difficult. I have not seen a Cs40 magazine that they did not want over 50$ for if they even have them in Stock.

One simple word to you: EBAY......

Except maybe for the 9mm versions, you won't find any magazines below $50.
The 1006 mags are $80+ per magazine. I have the equivalent value in magazines that could buy me another gun.

For the 450x series, I did see a youtube modification of normal 1911 magazines to fit the 45xx series.

Interesting, I see a few second gens mentioned but no first gens. Seems most people prefer the third generation guns. Some of the really nice first generation demand big $$$. There was a 39-2 that showed up on Armslist. I emailed the guy but never got a reply. I also bid on one on Gunbroker. The 39-2s are reasonably priced, IMHO.

bsa1917hunter - I do see what you mean. I think I've watched most YouTube videos on these guns. And I've search for articles. And I'll admit I did order an old magazine that has a article on the 645s. Paid way too much for that.

WillametteWill - Would you show us a picture of that 5904? I'm curious what they replaced the S&W with.

JRuby - That CS40 I think was the only single stack 40 they made. You can set a "Saved" search on eBay and they will email you when one shows up.

Glad to see so many people interested in these guns. When I come to the forum lately and look at new posts they are mostly classified ads. Thought I'd start a thread on something I'm interested in and get some discussion started. I'll post some photos of that 645 when I get it in a week or 2.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that some of rarer models components are getting a lot harder to find.

I'll agree with you on that. I'm glad I haven't had to buy anything for mine. Lucky I guess. You are right about the cost of mags too. They can be dang expensive. I was pricing some a while back for my 4006 and decided to not buy any extras!!!!

JRuby - I was wrong. I was looking in the book I bought and the plain Jane 4013 is a single stack 8 round magazine. I don't know if the magazine will fit your CS40 but something to look into. There was or is a model 4013TSW or Tactical Smith & Wesson that uses an 11 round double stack magazine. Odd that they are both 4013s.

Interesting, I see a few second gens mentioned but no first gens. Seems most people prefer the third generation guns. Some of the really nice first generation demand big $$$. There was a 39-2 that showed up on Armslist. I emailed the guy but never got a reply. I also bid on one on Gunbroker. The 39-2s are reasonably priced, IMHO.

I'm an oddball that likes Gen II over Gen III. Just a personal preference to feel more metal than plastic in my hand. Gen III aftermarket grips tend to be a lot thicker than the factory plastic so it is just not a good fit for me. A Gen II double stack with Uncle Mike's rubber is just right.

I think 39's are more sought after than 59's. Not sure why. Maybe because most own double stack Gen III's and the 39's are something different. I actually like the wide flat front and back straps on the 59's.

I saw a 39-2 laying on the gunshop counter with a tagged price I couldn't refuse. It has some wear but shoots fine, and has the best Smith DA trigger I've ever tried. It must have been well-worked on.
The walnut grip panels are very attractive to my eye, too.
The other Smith 1-2-3 auto I had was a CS45 about ten years ago. It was double-action-only but the trigger wasn't really all that helpful (and I shoot a lot of DA revolver) so I moved it along. Honestly, the .45 Shield is a better small carry gun and is thinner to boot. Plus, it's totally reliable, which the CS45 wasn't. (It did not care for certain hollowpoints but got along fairly well with Gold Dots.)

Love my 469.:) Better after I had the slide dove-tailed and a Glock fiber-optic front sight installed.
This raised the POI to Point of aim at 25 yards with 145gr. HP. I also removed the magazine safty.
469-9mm.JPG

My first pistol was a S&W1006. True to aim right out of the box. Only changed factory grips to Pachmayr. Have been a fan of 10mm ever since. I carry the RIA 10mm now for 17+1 capacity, but will always dig what S&W brought to the table to kick it off ...steel frame & decocker on 3rd gen worked well too(closest thing to a 10mm 1911 out there at the time). I still love the 1006 for what it is, but my RIA 52009 has the balance of 1911 features that I'd miss carrying otherwise...with high cap. If 1006 came back into production, I'd recommend one to anybody just because it's an awesome pistol, but as mentioned earlier...they've gone through the roof. I paid $400 for mine 25 years ago, but see triple that on most listings now:(.

My dad had a S&W 1006 I remember being in middle school drooling over it, I wanted so bad for all these years and my dad sold it a couple years ago.
Just another reason to dislike him.

I still think about that gun and being the idiot he is he probably only got a few hundred for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top