JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reminds me of this time, standing outside a Dollar Tree, a lady was asking for anything to help out just before Christmas time. I'm not one to hand out cash, so I went inside and picked her up some gloves, a scarf, and a hat. When I handed them to her she asked for the receipt so she could return them for the cash. She then said if I really wanted to help, I could pay for a hotel room! To this day, I can't bring myself to contribute to anyone asking for a handout around stores. I'll donate to organizations but not individuals.

Reminds me of this time, standing outside a Dollar Tree, a lady was asking for anything to help out just before Christmas time. I'm not one to hand out cash, so I went inside and picked her up some gloves, a scarf, and a hat. When I handed them to her she asked for the receipt so she could return them for the cash. She then said if I really wanted to help, I could pay for a hotel room! To this day, I can't bring myself to contribute to anyone asking for a handout around stores. I'll donate to organizations but not individuals.
After a fellow NWFA here told me about "clean receipts". I'll never be the same.

My little bubble burst learning about drugs, criminal activity and receipts.

If you ever see a bum digging through the trash can, most think it's for recyclables. When they are actually also looking for receipts.

This lady likely would have kept the stuff you bought, and used the receipt to buy drugs.

Yep, receipts can be used as currency.

Druggy goes to dealer, trades a clean receipt for drugs.

Drug dealer gives receipts to criminals to go to the stores and grab the items on the receipt from the store shelves. Then go to customer service and return them for cash.

Crazy stuff!

I don't donate a firken penny to organizations that have an "equity/diversity" officer. I'll be DAMNED if I'll contribute to propping up a scam job position that diverts 5-6 figures away every year from the stated purpose……

This is another of those stories that has my BS alarm going off. 2:00 am, someone knocks on the door to a Motel that is known to be a crap hole and you open the door and hand them money? Now is this possible? Yes. Is it probable that this was not what really happened? My money is on this was some kind of "deal" that went south.

I don't donate a firken penny to organizations that have an "equity/diversity" officer. I'll be DAMNED if I'll contribute to propping up a scam job position that diverts 5-6 figures away every year from the stated purpose……
I for YEARS before Al invented the net used to regularly give money to a shelter here. I had heard good things about them. One day at work I see an article in the local paper about them. Down towards the end it mentions the guy who runs the place was making about 3 times as much as I did and was selling Amway:eek: My charity giving went to another place from that point on. For a long time I supported the Salvation Army. Now one of their top guys puts out a bunch of woke crap calling me a racists. 🤬 So they will not see a dime from me now either.

I for YEARS before Al invented the net used to regularly give money to a shelter here. I had heard good things about them. One day at work I see an article in the local paper about them. Down towards the end it mentions the guy who runs the place was making about 3 times as much as I did and was selling Amway:eek: My charity giving went to another place from that point on. For a long time I supported the Salvation Army. Now one of their top guys puts out a bunch of woke crap calling me a racists. 🤬 So they will not see a dime from me now either.

The SA has (last I checked) less than a 10% overhead, and I USED to drop several C-notes in their kettles every year (w/o the tax wright off)…. until this year. (I also dropped OHSU, Doernbechers, Oregon Food Bank, and the Alzheimer's Foundation.)

Hell, about 16 years back me and some others used to put on (studio grade) Star Wars Stormtrooper armor and ring the bells out front of Macy's across Pioneer Square (before it became a TOTAL sheite hole) for a few hours and rake in >$5k for them during that session.

Everyone is free to shoot their mouths off, but I'm free to take my "privileged" money elsewhere…. or just keep it for myself. Donations to the SA have plummeted something like 30-40% this year. Usually their verbal "shots" hits their foot.

Get "woke" go broke, MoFo! o_O

Recently, I opened the door for someone screaming for help....I thought I heard them say my name....thought it was a neighbor (I'm friends with nearly all of them), couple months ago there was a drive by shooting of the neighbor's house across the street (a friend)(opened the door to see it happening)
Well....this time it was some fruitloop from down the block......geez what a PITA this turned out to be.....long story, and not a very good one...

DONT-OPEN-THE-DOOR!
EVER!

Joe

The SA has (last I checked) less than a 10% overhead, and I USED to drop several C-notes in their kettles every year (w/o the tax wright off)…. until this year. (I also dropped OHSU, Doernbechers, Oregon Food Bank, and the Alzheimer's Foundation.)

Hell, about 16 years back me and some others used to put on (studio grade) Star Wars Stormtrooper armor and ring the bells out front of Macy's across Pioneer Square (before it became a TOTAL sheite hole) for a few hours and rake in >$5k for them during that session.

Everyone is free to shoot their mouths off, but I'm free to take my "privileged" money elsewhere…. or just keep it for myself. Donations to the SA have plummeted something like 30-40% this year. Usually their verbal "shots" hits their foot.

Get "woke" go broke, MoFo! o_O
YEP, I could not for the damn life of me figure what in the hell he thought there was to gain with him saying what he did but, like you my money can go with me then since he does not want it. When Wounded Warrior first came on the scene I thought they looked great and sent some money a couple times. Then they sent me some propaganda about how we really needed more gun control since the GI's coming back could not be trusted to not shoot themselves. I sent them a little note saying they had seen the last of my money. Never got a response other than them begging for more money for years. :mad:

YEP, I could not for the damn life of me figure what in the hell he thought there was to gain with him saying what he did but, like you my money can go with me then since he does not want it. When Wounded Warrior first came on the scene I thought they looked great and sent some money a couple times. Then they sent me some propaganda about how we really needed more gun control since the GI's coming back could not be trusted to not shoot themselves. I sent them a little note saying they had seen the last of my money. Never got a response other than them begging for more money for years. :mad:
#Metoo

and was selling Amway
U don't like Amway???

Many many years ago, about 1981, my optometrist told me he wanted to talk to me about a biz opportunity... He was a nice guy so I said ok. When we met, it was Amway. Ugh. I found out later he was pulling down some serious bank due to sponsoring folks. Then he got a brain tumor... life is strange.

My best friend in Jr. High got into Amway... they had some good products at the time. Note: he was also into Campus Life, a school Christian org. I didn't put the two together, but later my ex got into Amway, and my daughter told me she quit because Amway is heavily Christian. Not a good fit for that evil beotch.

Oregon Food Bank,
What did they say?

(I support our local food bank... they do a wonderful service. But too many people use it that don't really need it.)

U don't like Amway???

Many many years ago, about 1981, my optometrist told me he wanted to talk to me about a biz opportunity... He was a nice guy so I said ok. When we met, it was Amway. Ugh. I found out later he was pulling down some serious bank due to sponsoring folks. Then he got a brain tumor... life is strange.

My best friend in Jr. High got into Amway... they had some good products at the time. Note: he was also into Campus Life, a school Christian org. I didn't put the two together, but later my ex got into Amway, and my daughter told me she quit because Amway is heavily Christian. Not a good fit for that evil beotch.

What did they say?

(I support our local food bank... they do a wonderful service. But too many people use it that don't really need it.)

Bingo….. you answered your own question. I don't contribute to the enablement of schitty behavior.

Bingo….. you answered your own question. I don't contribute to the enablement of schitty behavior.
Hmmmm.

I have a much bigger issue with the school system providing bkfst, lunch, dinner, weekend, and Holiday meals to kids whose families don't need the help.... the dot gov really trying to get more families hooked on the nanny state.

And my wife used to work for the Housing Authority, their outreach program was much the same; trying to get people that don't need it just so they can increase their domain and their budget/salaries/etc. Yet people would come in and DEMAND this that or the other, and be very unhappy with what they got. PEOPLE SUCK.

Tis the season. Bah. Humbug!

Used to live downtown just South of Providence Park. In the few years that my wife and I were there, there was 1 guy (looked in his 20's and definitely homeless...possibly on something but had all his mental faculties with him when I ran across him) who asked me for cash outside the McD's down there. I told him I didn't carry cash and he then became the second homeless guy who will (likely) ever stand out in my mind: he asked if I'd buy him a meal (I bought him what probably amounts to a week's worth of calories and wished him well. Never saw him again after that night). That experience also happened to me while on business in Detroit.

Everyone homeless is there for one reason or another - the ones with mental issues or who aren't completely lost in addiction seem mighty grateful for some food or supplies.

Portland has, now, what seems like a lot of intentionally vagrant people. Not addicted, not unstable to any degree...just living life off the charity of others because they can. I group these folks with con artists, hucksters, charlatans, and thieves in my mind...and their existence has definitely caused me to lessen my charity over the years.
After a fellow NWFA here told me about "clean receipts". I'll never be the same.

My little bubble burst learning about drugs, criminal activity and receipts.

If you ever see a bum digging through the trash can, most think it's for recyclables. When they are actually also looking for receipts.

This lady likely would have kept the stuff you bought, and used the receipt to buy drugs.

Yep, receipts can be used as currency.

Druggy goes to dealer, trades a clean receipt for drugs.

Drug dealer gives receipts to criminals to go to the stores and grab the items on the receipt from the store shelves. Then go to customer service and return them for cash.

Crazy stuff!
Is that still a thing, though? With more and more people paying by card and more and more stores offering e-receipts...this seems like a thing of the past already.

U don't like Amway???

SA8 rocks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads