JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In regards to stocking up....
True , it is best to do so before you , and everyone else , actually need the items in question.

With that said...
Speaking only for myself...at times , $5.00 is a lot of money.
It seems when I have the money...many times it needs to go to other things , as opposed to being used to stock up.

So learn to spend wisely...that $5.00 or more cup of coffee from the coffee stand can almost be the price of a box of shotguns shells....

Stock up a little at a time...
If you have the odd $20.00 to spend...buy the ammo or ammo components when you are out and pass by the gun shop...buying things this way , can add up over time.

Look around in your knife box or drawer / holster pile up....
We all seem to have those....maybe you can trade something you have , but don't use , for something that you can use....
Andy

Shooters need to be stocked up when the shelves were full.

While I agree with this, the current ammo crisis caught me and everyone else by surprise. I normally buy powder 50 lbs at a time and primers 50,000 at a time. Normally this is a couple months worth, give or take and takes about a week for my order to arrive at my door. So when I get down to a couple weeks worth I order again. Now my couple months worth is gone in a couple weeks and I'm back ordered and then it'll still take a week to get my order to my door. 20/20 hind sight being what it is maybe a couple months ago I should have doubled or even tripled my stocking orders but then that would greatly exceed what I'm legally allowed to have on site so I'd have to have a powder magazine somewhere. <shrug> If it was easy anybody would do it I suppose.:)

In regards to stocking up....
True , it is best to do so before you , and everyone else , actually need the items in question.

With that said...
Speaking only for myself...at times , $5.00 is a lot of money.
It seems when I have the money...many times it needs to go to other things , as opposed to being used to stock up.

So learn to spend wisely...that $5.00 or more cup of coffee from the coffee stand can almost be the price of a box of shotguns shells....

Stock up a little at a time...
If you have the odd $20.00 to spend...buy the ammo or ammo components when you are out and pass by the gun shop...buying things this way , can add up over time.

Look around in your knife box or drawer / holster pile up....
We all seem to have those....maybe you can trade something you have , but don't use , for something that you can use....
Andy

Sage and insightful advice (as usual!!), but I would also add the option of saving those "spare" $5'ers and $20's to a "cache of cash" to help smooth out the inevitable financial "highs and lows" life throws at you. It's amazing how "fast" that "spare loose change" can add up over the course of a year.

There's no finer feeling than not being in a panic over whether or not you can make your mortgage payment on time when the whole world is in a panic about their economies... other than making the last mortgage payment and paying it off that is.... and having plenty of ammo. :D

546EF4D3-CF14-4745-99A9-FD646A4F712C.jpeg 9641357B-2D00-4A1D-A092-21D630ABA395.jpeg

While I agree with this, the current ammo crisis caught me and everyone else by surprise.
I'll most respectfully disagree that this caught "everyone" by surprise. I think this situation gave us the most notice of an impending shortage in the history of ever. (To steal a Hostess tag line:cool:)

In early to mid-March the writing was clearly in the wall and I could get all the components I wanted at a good price. Placed an order from Berry's only a few weeks ago for 9mm and 223 bullets. As I noted in another post, Sportsman's had primers at half price in March! (3/11 to be specific, one month ago today.) Had been waiting on ordering a Dillon but saw in early March where this was headed. It was delivered a few days later. Agree with Andy that money is an issue for most of us, but 500 or so rounds of .22 every now and then adds up to a nice stash after a few years.

Now I'll admit...that whole toilet paper thing? (Still had 3 months worth of that.)

Some of us have been through this several times; did not catch us by surprise.
Just look at history. Buy on sale.

There are some good buys out there now but you have to more fast and not ignore.

While I agree with this, the current ammo crisis caught me and everyone else by surprise. I normally buy powder 50 lbs at a time and primers 50,000 at a time. Normally this is a couple months worth, give or take and takes about a week for my order to arrive at my door. So when I get down to a couple weeks worth I order again. Now my couple months worth is gone in a couple weeks and I'm back ordered and then it'll still take a week to get my order to my door. 20/20 hind sight being what it is maybe a couple months ago I should have doubled or even tripled my stocking orders but then that would greatly exceed what I'm legally allowed to have on site so I'd have to have a powder magazine somewhere. <shrug> If it was easy anybody would do it I suppose.:)

I read this and got worried.

I store "a few" lbs of powder and went looking for a max requirement before neededing a magazine. All I could find was smokeless powder with the intent to use it for firearms are not controlled under the ATF storage laws. I might be missing something but they are saying not needed here:

If you know if some other verbiage please share.

I'll most respectfully disagree that this caught "everyone" by surprise. I think this situation gave us the most notice of an impending shortage in the history of ever. (To steal a Hostess tag line:cool:)

In early to mid-March the writing was clearly in the wall and I could get all the components I wanted at a good price. Placed an order from Berry's only a few weeks ago for 9mm and 223 bullets. As I noted in another post, Sportsman's had primers at half price in March! (3/11 to be specific, one month ago today.) Had been waiting on ordering a Dillon but saw in early March where this was headed. It was delivered a few days later. Agree with Andy that money is an issue for most of us, but 500 or so rounds of .22 every now and then adds up to a nice stash after a few years.

Now I'll admit...that whole toilet paper thing? (Still had 3 months worth of that.)

Agreed. Saw what was coming and boosted my inventory of components, to the point Grafs called and ask if I had a forklift on my end so they could ship my order LTL. (I actually do)

Some of us have been through this several times; did not catch us by surprise.
Just look at history. Buy on sale.

There are some good buys out there now but you have to more fast and not ignore.

Same. Ever since Obama I have been buying primers when I find full bricks and ordering large cases when on sale. Its hard on the budget socking away components, but I brown bag my lunch, make my own coffee etc.

Sage and insightful advice (as usual!!), but I would also add the option of saving those "spare" $5'ers and $20's to a "cache of cash" to help smooth out the inevitable financial "highs and lows" life throws at you. It's amazing how "fast" that "spare loose change" can add up over the course of a year.

There's no finer feeling than not being in a panic over whether or not you can make your mortgage payment on time when the whole world is in a panic about their economies... other than making the last mortgage payment and paying it off that is.... and having plenty of ammo. :D

View attachment 682345View attachment 682346
I'm low on crack. Home invasion @ Stomper's ! :D:rolleyes:
er, wait. I don't want to be a statistic you guys read about here and congratulate @Stomper....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews