JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand my firearm and trust that it will function as intended through years of experience in handling it. Rules are made to be broken - it's knowing when to break them and being comfortable in breaking them that is key. Yeah, my loaded firearm is pointed at me. Guns don't magically go off. If there's nothing that can inside of the trigger guard (quality holster + wearing clothes suited to your carry method) I am perfectly safe.

Carrying and handling firearms comes with inherent risks. We move to minimize these risks however the potential always exists. If you are not comfortable carrying a firearm in a specific manner then don't do it, simple as that. But understand short of removing all ammunition from a firearm and storing it in a locked box off your body you will always have the potential risk of injuring yourself - even if you observe every rule and are familiar with the firearm and it's operation, there is always a perfect set of circumstances the universe could throw at you which results in an ND.

It's perfectly comfortable for me - although I am a thinner guy and to my understanding from speaking with buddies who have "tactical FUPAs" AIWB is more of a skinny guy's carry method.

:s0101: Excellent post. That said, I'm not the skinniest guy but make it work anyhow so it is doable, I think most go down the path @Kruel J brought up early on and give up too soon.

My G19, I tried to get use to AIWB. I couldn't get beyond the thought of ND being it was striker fire. They (SF) ride 3-4 o'clock.
SA/DA, I don't give it a second thought. Until the barrel end cinches into the leg crease.

:s0101: Excellent post. That said, I'm not the skinniest guy but make it work anyhow so it is doable, I think most go down the path @Kruel J brought up early on and give up too soon.

I'm 6'1" and 220. I could lose a few pounds but I don't have a roll over my jeans. Just a "normal" belly for a 44 year old. AIWB melts on my frame.

I'm 195, 5'10", so I've got a little belly on me. I just haven't found appendix particularly comfortable. Is the trick a longer barrel, or a shorter barrel?

Such as...I cannot figure out how to tie my shoes without hating my gun!

Last Edited:
I'm 195, 5'10", so I've got a little belly on me. I just haven't found appendix particularly comfortable. Is the trick a longer barrel, or a shorter barrel?

Such as...I cannot figure out how to tie my shoes without hating my gun!

The trick is keeping the barrel out of your pelvic crease. Some can do it with a 1911, I know one dude that carries an M9 with X300U. A G19 size and I'm maxed out.

So day two.
Different pants and the light went on. My perfect spot was exactly where the belt loop of my jeans were. The cargo shorts belt loop is about 1/2 over and it made a huge difference.
Driving was alright. Love the fact I can draw while sitting. It is a little disconcerting that while seated there is no doubt where the barrel is. It's also pretty incredible how well it still conceals.
I also get where a wedge would be an asset. If pants aren't right height it does want to "flip" over
Got to say, I'm liking it.

Anyone that claims they've never "flagged" themselves while carrying in ANY IWB position is either lying or in pure denial.

Well, I've never had to knowingly flag myself to IWB at 3-4 o'clock. Perhaps a minor incidental flagging might occur for a fraction of a second so that, if the gun were to discharge, I might receive a superficial powder burn or grazing shot. Obviously bad, but not lethal. Using a "seatbelt" analogy, this is like not putting on your seatbelt to move the car in the driveway where there's essentially zero danger of harm.

Contrast that with AIWB, in which the muzzle points at lethal or critical areas; the groin, femoral arteries, knee caps, and tops of feet all day long. The only thing preventing that gun from firing are a series of $2 springs and plungers and plastic parts that CAN fail. I'm aware of at least TWO AIWB NDs, one of which was fatal. And aside from "Mexican" carry, modern AIWB is relatively new fad (<5 years?), so it's not got a good track record. The analogy is driving on the highway all day every day without a seat belt. Consequences of an error are likely serious. I believe it's a passing fad.
Man Dies Attempting Appendix Carry Reholster In Milkwaukee - Bearing Arms - appendix carry, Milwaukee, Negligent Discharge, Timothy Phonisay, Wisconsin
"Phonisay was apparently posing with his gun and it discharged when he went to holster it, firing a round into his right groin and striking the femoral artery, according to the medical examiner's report.
Phonisay purchased the Springfield .45-caliber handgun three months ago and had a concealed carry permit, according to the report."

Show me a fatal injury from a IWB 3 oclock carry method, while the person was carrying or holstering. Seems like a better track record IMO.

An error, AD/ND, is far more forgiving to the user with IWB versus AIWB.

Those that choose to ignore the fundamental rules of gun safety are fooling themselves.

Last Edited:
I understand my firearm and trust that it will function as intended through years of experience in handling it. Rules are made to be broken - it's knowing when to break them and being comfortable in breaking them that is key. Yeah, my loaded firearm is pointed at me. Guns don't magically go off. If there's nothing that can inside of the trigger guard (quality holster + wearing clothes suited to your carry method) I am perfectly safe.

Carrying and handling firearms comes with inherent risks. We move to minimize these risks however the potential always exists. If you are not comfortable carrying a firearm in a specific manner then don't do it, simple as that. But understand short of removing all ammunition from a firearm and storing it in a locked box off your body you will always have the potential risk of injuring yourself - even if you observe every rule and are familiar with the firearm and it's operation, there is always a perfect set of circumstances the universe could throw at you which results in an ND.

It's perfectly comfortable for me - although I am a thinner guy and to my understanding from speaking with buddies who have "tactical FUPAs" AIWB is more of a skinny guy's carry method.

Oh, you're right. Mechanical things *never* fail. Those tiny springs and plungers can not ever fail.

In seriousness, steps to mitigate risks can and should be balanced with need for fast/immediate loaded firepower. An AIWB could be done, safely, on an empty chamber for instance. But relying on plastic safeties and small springs to prevent you from shooting yourself is asking for Murphy to visit you.

And aside from "Mexican" carry, modern AIWB is relatively new fad (<5 years?), so it's not got a good track record. The analogy is driving on the highway all day every day without a seat belt. Consequences of an error are likely serious. I believe it's a passing fad.
Sure it is.

Man Dies Attempting Appendix Carry Reholster In Milkwaukee - Bearing Arms - appendix carry, Milwaukee, Negligent Discharge, Timothy Phonisay, Wisconsin
"Phonisay was apparently posing with his gun and it discharged when he went to holster it, firing a round into his right groin and striking the femoral artery, according to the medical examiner's report.
Phonisay purchased the Springfield .45-caliber handgun three months ago and had a concealed carry permit, according to the report."

Why do these cases always read like this:

According to the Medical Examiner's report, Phonisay was apparently posing with a handgun and when he went to holster it, a round was fired and entered his right groin area.

or this...

The Arizona Republic newspaper reported the incident occurred at around 6:30 p.m. after a semiautomatic handgun that was being held in the man's waistband began to slip. The gun, which was not in a holster, discharged as he attempted to reposition it, the man told cops.
Arizona man carrying handgun in waistband shoots himself in the groin in Walmart meat department

or

Mark Anthony Jones, 46, told authorities he was carrying the gun in his waistband while standing on a walkway near a Girl Scout cabin in Marion last Thursday, the release said. The gun, which did not have a holster, began to slip, Jones reportedly told police. When he tried to adjust the gun, it discharged, the release said.
Indiana man without handgun license accidentally shoots self in genitals, police say

and

The sheriff's office said the 38-year-old man has a previous conviction for cocaine possession and may now face charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Florida Man Sits On Gun, Shoots Himself In Penis

more

Police in Arizona are urging residents to practice handgun safety after a man shot himself in the penis while putting a gun in the waistband of his pants.
Man accidentally shoots self in penis

Anyone else seeing a pattern? I'm seeing retards posing for selfies, bigger retards using waistbands and sweatpants instead of proper holsters, felon douche-bags who shouldn't have a pistol in the first place and I'm betting not oz of training between them.

Last Edited:
Sure it is.

Why do these cases always read like this:

According to the Medical Examiner's report, Phonisay was apparently posing with a handgun and when he went to holster it, a round was fired and entered his right groin area.

or this...

The Arizona Republic newspaper reported the incident occurred at around 6:30 p.m. after a semiautomatic handgun that was being held in the man's waistband began to slip. The gun, which was not in a holster, discharged as he attempted to reposition it, the man told cops.
Arizona man carrying handgun in waistband shoots himself in the groin in Walmart meat department

or

Mark Anthony Jones, 46, told authorities he was carrying the gun in his waistband while standing on a walkway near a Girl Scout cabin in Marion last Thursday, the release said. The gun, which did not have a holster, began to slip, Jones reportedly told police. When he tried to adjust the gun, it discharged, the release said.
Indiana man without handgun license accidentally shoots self in genitals, police say

and

The sheriff's office said the 38-year-old man has a previous conviction for cocaine possession and may now face charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Florida Man Sits On Gun, Shoots Himself In Penis

more

Police in Arizona are urging residents to practice handgun safety after a man shot himself in the penis while putting a gun in the waistband of his pants.
Man accidentally shoots self in penis

Oh, my mistake. You are saying you are perfect and have never fumbled, dropped a dish, knocked over a glass of water, stubbed your toe?? Heck there's members on this forum who have admitted to NDs or ADs.
In my years in the military I saw and learned of a LOT of ADs/NDs. It's a reality of the gun world.

I'm merely saying AIWB is not forgiving. As evidence by these (yes, some foolish) errors in judgment. Set aside bravado and let's just be intellectually honest about it. So until someone is a perfect human being, carrying a perfectly engineered gun impossible to fire by accident, it's a foolish way to carry on a loaded chamber.

The AIWB Holster Hack

wpid-20150330_180343.jpg

What is this "reholster" y'all are talking about. During training, I can see how repeating the process over and over wit a hot gun can pose safety problems.

But in a normal day of carrying, gun goes in holster (off body), holster gets put on, and then you just live life. Never reholster a hot gun.

Again, training is a different issue because one just needs to practice reps, but just...take...your...time. No need to rush a reholster!

Oh, you're right. Mechanical things *never* fail. Those tiny springs and plungers can not ever fail.

In seriousness, steps to mitigate risks can and should be balanced with need for fast/immediate loaded firepower. An AIWB could be done, safely, on an empty chamber for instance. But relying on plastic safeties and small springs to prevent you from shooting yourself is asking for Murphy to visit you.
I'm new , can you explain what spring and plunger would have to fail for a striker design pistol to discharge in the holster? Thanks I'm always learning

It doesn't happen, @leadcounsel. Guns in good working order don't fire in the holster.

They can fire if the holster allows incursion into the trigger guard (old leather holsters can be bad).

They can fire on the reholster if something gets in there.

Guns with bad designs can fire if dropped or hit, but most guns don't have this problem.

A Glock would have to either have the cruciform arm break off or the striker arm break off for no reason. That just does not happen. Plus, the trigger would have to be depressed at that same time to pull aside the striker safety. Nope, not gonna happen.

Whenever someone says, "It just went off," what they really mean is that the trigger was pulled.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top