JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I purchased my first pistol today, an M&P22 full size. I've never been through the process before on a handgun, so this has been a learning experience. From what I understand, my background check has been sent to king county LE and the ffl is now waiting for them to return a clean background check so they can release the gun to me. I also understand that the ffl can release it after 10 days if they take longer than that but I'm curious what kind of wait times you guys have experienced? Do you get a call after a day or two or do you tend to wait a week+? I've seen it written in several places that WA has a 5 day waiting period but I can't find it in the rcws so I'm doubting that. Mostly looking for your experiences but if you have a link to a trusted source explaining this stuff that would be much appreciated too.

Thanks in advance

Congratulations on your new purchase.:) I have not bought a handgun under the
new WA State background check. As a CPL holder I have had no waiting period. :rolleyes:
More hassle for law abiding gun orders from our great WA politicians. :eek::eek::eek:

First, I hope you voted against I-1639.
Second, get a CC.
Thirdly take a safety class, if this is your first time get some training I have family up there, they tell
quite a few good trainers are up there. Check ranges and clubs too.

I wasn't aware that WA had a waiting period? I know in WA they go straight to NICS, where OR dealers go to the State Police who then accesses NICS. And NOW that new law will cause a waiting period because of the new process that dealers are forced to go through to clear a person for a gun.

A few years ago my wife and I took the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course as an anniversary gift to our selves. It consisted of an online course and a hands on course where we were able to shoot an assortment of hand guns that the instructor brought. The course was thorough and taught everything from how the gun works, safety, stance, aiming, and much more. It is what got both of us interested in guns and joining a gun club.

From the NRA web site:
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is intended for all individuals regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation and is available for delivery in two ways. One option is the traditional, instructor-led course where you will receive direct instruction from an NRA-certified instructor from beginning to end. The other option has two components: a self-study or "eLearning module" which is completed online in your own timeframe and a hands-on practical portion conducted in a classroom and shooting range with an Instructor.

I wasn't aware that WA had a waiting period? I know in WA they go straight to NICS, where OR dealers go to the State Police who then accesses NICS. And NOW that new law will cause a waiting period because of the new process that dealers are forced to go through to clear a person for a gun.

Pistol purchases go through DOL and the local agency (absent a CPL). They check for other things. Starting next year, having the CPL won't matter. All purchases of a handgun will be subject to the same check.

Rules are changing and even with a CHL you have to wait in WA.

And most guns shops will not honor the 10 day rule.
I would expect having to go through the local LEOs a 5-10 process, but with all the firearms purchases I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer than that.
Maybe you'll get it by Christmas

Thanks for your answers guys, much appreciated. And yes, I voted "HELL NO" on i1639. Hopefully it gets struck down in court, or heavily neutered. I plan on getting my CPL ASAP, but I have a 9yo son I want to go plinking with and I didn't want to wait a month :)

but I have a 9yo son I want to go plinking with and I didn't want to wait a month

Yup, IMO it sucks to live in the state of Washingfornia! However, this crap will spread to other states in quick order. In Orygun, for now, there is no waiting period unless the BCG does not clear right away. I had one that took a year. Although the law says the dealer can release after 3 days, most don't. I'm fortunate to do biz with a small shop owner that knows me... he released my Glock 34 that I paid a bunch of money for, otherwise I would have been out both the money and the firearm for a full year!!! :(

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews