JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Twelve years ago, I enrolled my ten year old daughter into a Taekwondo martial arts class.

Ten years later she has attained a fourth degree black belt and also teaches there.
While watching her class one day when she was a second degree black belt, they were teaching her how to deal with a pistol aimed at her head.
The attacker was standing in front of her, shoving a pistol against her face and shouting "get in the car, now!"
Her response was to drop downward very quickly, ram the web of her left hand upwards against the barrel, while chopping downward against the attackers wrist with her stronger right.
Rotating the pistol 180 degrees after hopefully breaking the attackers wrist, and then trying to pull the trigger if possible into the attackers face.

A women sitting next to me started complaining that she didn't like the idea that they had a gun in the studio (fake blue plastic Glock) and were training her son how to handle firearms and knives.
I asked her what good would all of the other lessons be if they stopped short and didn't cover all types of threats. Having a young daughter in this world we live in, I thought that the weapons training was one of the most important.

We just had a young women in Gresham get murdered recently, by a person she knew. After they caught the guy, I called up my daughter and asked her what she would have done if she was involved in the same type of situation.

Her response to me was " I would have told him not hurt me and I would do whatever he wanted, and then proceed to floor the accelerator and ram my car into the nearest power pole or solid wall, because people rush to help car accident victims and even if the guy had shot me, at least I would have medical help as soon as possible, instead of being taken out into the woods to be raped and shot."

I have never complained about the cost of all of those lessons because it has help center her emotions all through her teens and into adulthood.
One of the promises the head instructor made to me when I first enrolled her, was that her grades would go up if she stayed in the program.
She was straight A's and honor roll all through her school years since starting.

in the krav classes i take we dont grab the weapon itself but twist our hips moving slightly offline while simultaneously grabbing the wrist of the weapon hand drawing it towards us and to the outside of our torso then using the wrist and fingers as fulcrums peel the weapon away. and i have used this in an attmpted robbery succesfuly however i can't say how much was luck and how much was training. just food for thought i guess as i will be the first to say im not a hard a&*

in the krav classes i take we dont grab the weapon itself but twist our hips moving slightly offline while simultaneously grabbing the wrist of the weapon hand drawing it towards us and to the outside of our torso then using the wrist and fingers as fulcrums peel the weapon away. and i have used this in an attmpted robbery succesfuly however i can't say how much was luck and how much was training. just food for thought i guess as i will be the first to say im not a hard a&*

Nice work. I'm glad there are guys like you out there. The technique you described is the exact one we train for to mitigate a Gun Threat From the Side.

" I would have told him not hurt me and I would do whatever he wanted, and then proceed to floor the accelerator and ram my car into the nearest power pole or solid wall, because people rush to help car accident victims and even if the guy had shot me, at least I would have medical help as soon as possible, instead of being taken out into the woods to be raped and shot."

I have never complained about the cost of all of those lessons because it has help center her emotions all through her teens and into adulthood.

Thank you for sharing that. I can tell you're very proud of your daughter. You can sleep better at night knowing that you have provided the best training you could to teach her to defend herself and not to rely on someone else to do it, or worse yet, having her succumb to a victim mentality.

It really is surprising to me how many people take the victim stance immediately. After being in a store when a gang fight broke - no weapons amazingly - I watched as virtually everyone not involved in the melee went and hid behind the counter/racks where they couldn't see what was going on around them.

Here is Eyal Yanilov, the highest ranking Krav Maga practitioner in the world and the Head Instructor of the International Krav Maga Federation, performing the technique I've described above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Eyal Yanilov, the highest ranking Krav Maga practitioner in the world and the Head Instructor of the International Krav Maga Federation, performing the technique I've described above.

Too much playing around. I have seem smoother techniques that twist the gun towards the trigger finger,to break it,disabling the attacker.
The technique you are showing presumes that you will hurt the shooter with the punch. And you will overpower him.
Presumes.
If he is a fighter,or taken some blows in his life,you may wake him up.
Ever watched a sanctioned fight were one guy hits the other and then the second comes to life? Or smiles?

I would concentrate on the gun hand and the gun first,then decide if you need to bust your hand on the guys head.
Or don't let him get that close.

And yes,I would get shot trying to quick snatch the gun like that.

Thanks for the post, but the technique presumes nothing you've mentioned. Please see post #11 in this thread.

The old-guard Israeli Krav Maga practitioners are some of the hardest guys in the world, and Eyal is their premier fighter. I'm going to trust what they say. You and I both would be disarmed if we were foolish enough to let someone who was proficient in this defense close the gap and get within striking distance.

I know because I've trained this defense 5000 times.

Yeah I watched the chick that trained one of two guys who are foolish enough to try out other disciplines in their native cultures for some TV series. She wouldn't just disarm ( with her that meant literally take an arm off lol) you ,she would kill you as to make sure you didn't attack anyone else or her again
Can't remember the show.Only watched the Krav maga one,but those guys train like the Korean Rock soldiers. Full contact,beat you when you are down and yell GET UP YOU WILL DIE ON THE GROUND

Kelly Campbell ?
she's doing a womens' SD seminar in Millwaukie in a few weeks.

No,this was in Israel. Can't remember her name but pretty sure Kelly Cambell isn't a name for a back street Jewish brawler
Here ya go. I'll pay to see Blitz take her on. Or any state side Krav Maga fighters.

No, she is not be a back street Jewish brawler, but she is the highest ranked female Krav Maga instructor in the States.
Which would make her easier to actually train with and learn from.....

No, she is not be a back street Jewish brawler, but she is the highest ranked female Krav Maga instructor in the States.
As you may see if you read my post again,I was speaking of the woman in the vid I posted. She has to walk to her dojo? down the back streets of Jerusalem ,with people around that would do her harm.
So don't get excited and go tell her I caller bad names

Kelly Campbell is Krav Maga Worldwide. That's the Tae-Bo of the krav community.

International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF) is the real deal.

In both of those videos, the attacker has a one handed grip at point blank range. What does Krav Maga suggest if they have a two handed grip and they are ten feet away? You are likely to get shot if you try and disarm in that scenario.

In both of those videos, the attacker has a one handed grip at point blank range. What does Krav Maga suggest if they have a two handed grip and they are ten feet away? You are likely to get shot if you try and disarm in that scenario.

What if he has a crossbow at 25 yards? I obviously wouldn't try to use this technique.

When talking about defense, everything is relative. Not every technique will work in every situation, even if it's the situation that the technique was developed for. The key to successful defense is not memorizing static "moves"; the key is arming yourself with the experience and tools necessary to increase the probability of surviving a violent and dynamic situation.

Expanding on my thoughts above to answer your question, there's no right answer. One possibility that Krav teaches is to use deception to close the gap. It's dangerous and desperate, but it might be the only choice for survival. Again, this is an oversimplified explanation of a single choice; it's impossible to know without knowing what the situation is. Are there other people around? Am I wearing filp-flops? Is the sun in his eyes? Is it dark, and do I have a flashlight? (I carry my Surefire everywhere.) Does he look like he is aware or inebriated? Is there more than one attacker? Am I armed? ...

You get the point.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top