JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I want this as bumper sticker.

Or print your own bumper sticker with Avery #461253-73601 Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets found at office supplies stores.

Based on my experience elsewhere, soon we will be pumping our own gas while paying just as much as it cost to have someone else pump it for us.
Soon it will be far more convenient, in that you will not have to wait for someone to pump it for you. The price will not go down since the voters there decided they did not want it to. People do get what they vote for.

Soon it will be far more convenient, in that you will not have to wait for someone to pump it for you. The price will not go down since the voters there decided they did not want it to. People do get what they vote for.
Gas prices were higher in WA when I went there. But then again, it's possible to see a difference of 50 cents or more a gallon between two stations in Oregon, so gas prices didn't seem to change any whether there's an attendant or not.... in my experience.

Edit. Locations and which State seems more important.. is Idaho cheaper on average for gas, compared to WA, CA,OR, AK, HI?

I went to Eugene a few weeks ago. Argued with the gas jockey that I didn't want him touching my vehicle.
He assured me it'd "be fine".

Problem was, his homeboy showed up while he was refueling my truck, they got to chatting, the pump shut off early, and when he realized it he didn't notice that the truck could take way more fuel, and he "finished" the job right there, leaving my truck underfilled by about 5 gallons, which annoyed me because I was trying to keep tabs on my MPGs during a long road trip, and that totally ruined the calculations for that tank of gas.

I was in the gas station store and didn't realize this until a few miles later when my gas gauge needle wasn't above the F mark like it'd usually be after refueling.

I went to Eugene a few weeks ago. Argued with the gas jockey that I didn't want him touching my vehicle.
He assured me it'd "be fine".

Problem was, his homeboy showed up while he was refueling my truck, they got to chatting, the pump shut off early, and when he realized it he didn't notice that the truck could take way more fuel, and he "finished" the job right there, leaving my truck underfilled by about 5 gallons, which annoyed me because I was trying to keep tabs on my MPGs during a long road trip, and that totally ruined the calculations for that tank of gas.

I was in the gas station store and didn't realize this until a few miles later when my gas gauge needle wasn't above the F mark like it'd usually be after refueling.
That's why I tend to just tell them how much prepaid I want.

Edit. Because I'm deaf... I find it far easier to tell attendants numbers ending with 5.

25, 35, 45, 55, 65. Because in the past.. they have apparently misheard "60" as "16" :rolleyes: or "40" as "14"

I'm more comfortable pumping my own gas than most Oregonians :s0140: then again... NY, WA, NC and States in between on road trips..

Last Edited:
Gas prices were higher in WA when I went there. But then again, it's possible to see a difference of 50 cents or more a gallon between two stations in Oregon, so gas prices didn't seem to change any whether there's an attendant or not.... in my experience.

Edit. Locations and which State seems more important.. is Idaho cheaper on average for gas, compared to WA, CA,OR, AK, HI?
WA voters again decided they were not paying enough for gas here and it went up again. If you want to see what gas really costs it should not be too hard to look up on line what the local authorities add to it. Price of course varies from one place to another just like any commodity. How much do they sell, how much does it cost to get delivered, ect. What really matters is what does the gov add to it. Some times this is not just the taxes added. You need to look at what does the local gov add on by charging places that sell it. Bottom line it all comes down to voters. This stuff does not fall from the sky. People vote for it.
While OR would I have to assume go the way so many other do now. large stations with multiple pumps and one person there to run the place. Card readers on the pumps so a large percentage of the buyers need no assistance. Many stations here pumps are on when no one is home. As long as you are using the card reader there does not even have to be anyone working there. So places will be able to sell cheaper but, you can bet the state and locals will add more ways to take money to keep price the same. Again this is what people keep saying they want. :s0092:

And in Portland.....

Green Gas.jpg How-Not-To-Pump-Gas.jpg

WA voters again decided they were not paying enough for gas here and it went up again. If you want to see what gas really costs it should not be too hard to look up on line what the local authorities add to it. Price of course varies from one place to another just like any commodity. How much do they sell, how much does it cost to get delivered, ect. What really matters is what does the gov add to it. Some times this is not just the taxes added. You need to look at what does the local gov add on by charging places that sell it. Bottom line it all comes down to voters. This stuff does not fall from the sky. People vote for it.
While OR would I have to assume go the way so many other do now. large stations with multiple pumps and one person there to run the place. Card readers on the pumps so a large percentage of the buyers need no assistance. Many stations here pumps are on when no one is home. As long as you are using the card reader there does not even have to be anyone working there. So places will be able to sell cheaper but, you can bet the state and locals will add more ways to take money to keep price the same. Again this is what people keep saying they want. :s0092:
Card readers already exist for 99% of the pumps. Prices will not be cheaper for "self-serve" anyhow. Most places already reduced how many attendants are employed anyways, so it'll be nice to pump my own gas instead of waiting for the sole attendant who's already dealing with 6 other vehicles. Some I can see keeping attendants, particularly the member-only Costco, Fred Meyer and Safeway gas stations. Others might go the same way as Pacific Pride and be 100% self-serve but bonus may be 24-7.

Card readers already exist for 99% of the pumps. Prices will not be cheaper for "self-serve" anyhow. Most places already reduced how many attendants are employed anyways, so it'll be nice to pump my own gas instead of waiting for the sole attendant who's already dealing with 6 other vehicles. Some I can see keeping attendants, particularly the member-only Costco, Fred Meyer and Safeway gas stations. Others might go the same way as Pacific Pride and be 100% self-serve but bonus may be 24-7.
Again people love to dance all around the truth here. Have to guess because its "uncomfortable". The price is directly tied to how people vote. :s0092:

Oregon's current gas tax is $0.38/ gallon. 2024 will be $0.40/ gallon. But.. WA is currently $0.494/ gallon to start with. There are of course other things added into the gas prices that has everything to do with politics and businesses

Oregon's current gas tax is $0.38/ gallon. 2024 will be $0.40/ gallon. But.. WA is currently $0.494/ gallon to start with. There are of course other things added into the gas prices that has everything to do with politics and businesses
Yep and again ask someone who runs a station. What "agencies" from the local gov have their hand out. You can bet there is several. Again uncomfortable but voters keep asking for this then pretend they had nothing to do with it. :s0092:

I don't want to see the attendants lose their job. While it is low skill and minimum wage, at least they are working and I have to respect them for that.
Same with self checkout at the grocery store which puts the checkers out of a job.

I don't want to see the attendants lose their job. While it is low skill and minimum wage, at least they are working and I have to respect them for that.
Same with self checkout at the grocery store which puts the checkers out of a job.
Unless the staffed traditional checkouts are impossibly backed up (you know, there's always those customers who muck everything up with price checks, card issues (especially EBT) send backs, special requests etc) I always try to use the traditional checkout.
I prefer to pay someone for services rendered, because option B is I pay them to sit at home, and the government gets a cut of that.

Back in the 90's, in the metro Phoenix area, gas stations had both Self Serve and Full Serve islands. Seemed to be busy on both sides.

And, gas was slightly cheaper on the Self Serve side.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top