JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So people are going to wash with it? I guess if they are that stupid they should not be driving a car. Or if they are that scared of it buy an EV. I figure anyone who is not smart enough to put gas in their car and just get it all over themselves should not be driving the damn thing.
Just breathing the fumes will give you cancer if you are one who gets cancer. In my lifetime I worked as a teenager for a gas station. Owner died a horrible death from cancer. One of my foremen dipped his boots in diesel every day at the start of work. Died a horrible death with the cancer starting in his feet.

Frankly folks die all the time because they really are too dumb to live and there is nothing that can be done for the dumb. Folks that learn how to stay alive are survivors.

I was raised by depression era parents.:D So I'll drive a ways to save a nickle or more.

COSTCO? No, they only have the lower of some prices in the area. Thats been a thorn in my side for a long time. They survey the stations in the area and charge accordingly. Fred's does the same. But with Costco I pay them for the privilage of shopping there. They buy their gas for all stations, aren't they supposed to pass bulk purchased savings onto the customer?
EDIT: I just remembered, last time I gassed there some AH pump jockey chastised me for taking the nozzle out and hanging it up! DickHead.

Good lord, everything causes cancer.! Maybe that's why I still see young, healthy, robust appearing people with masks on every day. Outside!

How the hell did my mother and father live into their 90s?
We have a Costco membership free from Wife's work. I have not set foot in one in a LONG time. She still goes there for work stuff and now and then shops there. Too much hassle for me to bother. LONG time ago I did go when they had one in a place that was easy to get into and out of. They sold the building and built it in a place that was already a traffic mess. I let Wife talk me into going one time. That was it for me. They would have to be giving stuff away for free for me to face that mess. Fredies does have a couple places that sell gas around me. One of them I can even drive past going to work if I use that route. Never noticed what the difference is on the price there but it must be enough. Most times I drive past the place is full of cars trying to buy so I just keep going.
As for cancer I have heard that a few times when OR was making noise about allowing you to pump your own. That everyone was going to die. I have no doubt that gas is not something you would want to be washing your hands with. If just pumping your own was going to have people dropping dead then are the attendants who pump gas all day all dropping dead of cancer? Why are there no ad's from some law firm wanting to sue like I hear all the time for other stuff?

Just breathing the fumes will give you cancer if you are one who gets cancer. In my lifetime I worked as a teenager for a gas station. Owner died a horrible death from cancer. One of my foremen dipped his boots in diesel every day at the start of work. Died a horrible death with the cancer starting in his feet.

Frankly folks die all the time because they really are too dumb to live and there is nothing that can be done for the dumb. Folks that learn how to stay alive are survivors.
So the people working all day doing it are dropping dead? :confused:
So the slip and fall lawyers are not going after them because they don't want the pay out for this?
People that scared of filling their own still have choices. Have that guy who is dying from cancer fill their car for them, buy an EV, don't drive. Yes the sky is falling daily. There is certainly no shortage of dumb. Too many of them seem to have no trouble breeding sadly.

I was raised by depression era parents.:D So I'll drive a ways to save a nickle or more.

COSTCO? No, they only have the lower of some prices in the area. Thats been a thorn in my side for a long time. They survey the stations in the area and charge accordingly. Fred's does the same. But with Costco I pay them for the privilage of shopping there. They buy their gas for all stations, aren't they supposed to pass bulk purchased savings onto the customer?
EDIT: I just remembered, last time I gassed there some AH pump jockey chastised me for taking the nozzle out and hanging it up! DickHead.

Good lord, everything causes cancer.! Maybe that's why I still see young, healthy, robust appearing people with masks on every day. Outside!

How the hell did my mother and father live into their 90s?
People were warned that cigarettes cause cancer and kill yet they smoked anyway and died of cancer. People do things every day that shorten their lives and that's just the way people are. Nothing anyone can say or do because folks don't care about the every day things that kill them.

I don't know, maybe it's a good way to live, not really caring. Myself I enjoy life and what it has to offer so knowing the health risk are meaningful to me. At 71 I don't need a doctor and don't take any medications. I am healthy and enjoy life even though I worked in some horrible environments. I worked as safe as I could.

We have a Costco membership free from Wife's work. I have not set foot in one in a LONG time. She still goes there for work stuff and now and then shops there. Too much hassle for me to bother. LONG time ago I did go when they had one in a place that was easy to get into and out of. They sold the building and built it in a place that was already a traffic mess. I let Wife talk me into going one time. That was it for me. They would have to be giving stuff away for free for me to face that mess. Fredies does have a couple places that sell gas around me. One of them I can even drive past going to work if I use that route. Never noticed what the difference is on the price there but it must be enough. Most times I drive past the place is full of cars trying to buy so I just keep going.
As for cancer I have heard that a few times when OR was making noise about allowing you to pump your own. That everyone was going to die. I have no doubt that gas is not something you would want to be washing your hands with. If just pumping your own was going to have people dropping dead then are the attendants who pump gas all day all dropping dead of cancer? Why are there no ad's from some law firm wanting to sue like I hear all the time for other stuff?
Yea everyone in the other 48 states and the rest of the world where you pump your own gas is dying like flies. Only Oregon is safe. (J/k) :p

So the people working all day doing it are dropping dead? :confused:
So the slip and fall lawyers are not going after them because they don't want the pay out for this?
People that scared of filling their own still have choices. Have that guy who is dying from cancer fill their car for them, buy an EV, don't drive. Yes the sky is falling daily. There is certainly no shortage of dumb. Too many of them seem to have no trouble breeding sadly.
People die every day from poor life choices, sometime look at the occupations of those who live to old age. I have old friends, one is doing great with his life choices and another is under constant medical care. Yet the oldest one is due to turn 90 soon and is cancer free even though he exposes himself to cancer causing chemicals every year.

Just saying if the family history is full of cancer then folks should avoid what causes cancer. Or just do what people do.

When my doc asked how long my parents lived and told him 90 and 92 he leaned back in his chair with a satisficed smile on his face and said.. "You're going to live a long time" I strait up told him. "Who the bubblegum want's to live a long time"

My mother spent the last four years, or so, of her life in miserable pain from a shoulder replacement in her late '80s. Not to mention, she was a crazy as a bed bug hoarder. And my old dad spent the last weeks of his life in agonizing pain from an undiagnosed cracked vertebrae that no one knew about. And mom feeding him pain pills. Luckily the inaction for the couple months caused blood clots that went to his lungs and finally killed him.
Who the bubblegum want's to be alive for a long time?

When my doc asked how long my parents lived and told him 90 and 92 he leaned back in his chair with a satisficed smile on his face and said.. "You're going to live a long time" I strait up told him. "Who the bubblegum want's to live a long time"

My mother spent the last four years, or so, of her life in miserable pain from a shoulder replacement in her late '80s. Not to mention, she was a crazy as a bed bug hoarder. And my old dad spent the last weeks of his life in agonizing pain from an undiagnosed cracked vertebrae that no one knew about. And mom feeding him pain pills. Luckily the inaction for the couple months caused blood clots that went to his lungs and finally killed him.
Who the bubblegum want's to be alive for a long time?
Guess its all dependent on quality of life as much as time. My Father died in his late 70's and he went out enjoying life for sure. Moved to where his retirement money let him live like a king. He was going after young girls right up to the end which did scare me a little. Was always afraid is Wife, who was same age as my older sister, may find out and pay someone to take him fishing and not come back with him. :D
When he got sick and it was easy to see it was over he checked out of the hospital and went home to die.
For those who lose cognition its rough. Work with a lot of people who do and hard to tell if they even know it so they may be more or less happy in their own world. The loved ones who care for them not so much. Mother in Law passed at 95. Last few years she was losing it and had to be watched all the time but she was still active for her age and seemed to enjoy. When hospice time came she got to do it at home in comfort and lucky for all it only took a few weeks. Her spouse never did really get over losing her. He had been with her since he was a kid and last few years was her full time care giver. His health went about a year later and family made sure he got to hospice in comfort for that last few weeks. One of Wife's sisters died years ago of cancer from drinking way too much. She too went out the way she wanted. Even in hospice she was drinking. With her I found you need to have family to advocate for you if you are on Government care. Wife and I had to often let the staff know she was not going to be forgotten about and left to suffer. I cringe to think how she would have been if not for us.

My point was that when your body starts to go, how long can that life be enjoyable.
This is why I have supported the places that are allowing those of sound mind to chose when they have had enough and want to check out. As the population ages and more of us live FAR longer suspect this will become easier to do since the cost of keeping us alive gets higher all the time. As long as it does not get to where they are just offing people before they wish to leave I will be fine with it. We are fast heading to a place where many of these people will just be killed to get them out of the way though.

My point was that when your body starts to go, how long can that life be enjoyable.
Just pointing out that if people educate themselves about what hurts and kills then there body stays healthy longer.

Genetics play a big part but environments do too. Inhaling gas fumes when your Genetics shows your family dies of cancer probably isn't a good idea.

Gov. Tina Kotek will allow a bill allowing self-serve gasoline across Oregon to become law, ending a 72-year ban on most drivers pumping their own gas.
I, for one, am glad I won't have to wait around anymore for an attendant.

Edited for grammar ;)

Last Edited:
I for one am glad I won't have to wait around anymore for an attendant.

I hear you. Also anytime I pump gas in Oregon I get out of the car and watch the attendant like a hawk. Had my credit card info stolen once by them and extended family members twice in Portland. It's a scam. The charge on my card that same day was over $4000 at Best Buy back east somewhere and the one station was the only place I used that card in months. I always fill up in WA unless I absolutely have to fill up in OR. Just not worth the hassle of waiting and getting scammed.

News today is the governor does not intend to veto it. My understanding is Oregon bills which are not explicitly vetoed become law by default after 30 days, even without signature. IMO she doesn't want to sign it, nor veto it. So she'll let it become law automatically on 8/4.
1690601671441.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top