JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
do you still have it in the houge stock that it shipped with? I put mine into the hunter 700 stock and I have a trigger tech trigger coming for it, should be here friday and I hope that will help the some. I am shooting about 1 moa roughly with the stock trigger though.

H-S Precision carbon fiber stock. I have more into this rifle than I want to. After the rifle, stock and a Vortex Viper HS-T....

do you still have it in the houge stock that it shipped with? I put mine into the hunter 700 stock and I have a trigger tech trigger coming for it, should be here friday and I hope that will help the some. I am shooting about 1 moa roughly with the stock trigger though.

Ren700elkskinwarren 008 (800x600).jpg
It just ain't fair, buy a 'Flagship" rifle and then throw 80% away, just to get it to shoot!

Nice group. I shoot at Tri County and rarely see anyone shoot a group like that. Not sure where all the one hole group guys on the Internet shoot, but it isn't at Tri County.

I don't like reloading 3031 powder because it is so darn big, but it sure shoots good. If I was you I would go up and down .3 grains and see what happens, and also go in and out with the seating depth. Have you ever loaded into the lands? You have to be careful with the pressure, but I have found into the lands several thousands is the most accurate in most my guns.

The accuracy bug seems to have it's hooks into you big time.

Last Edited:
View attachment 278543
It just ain't fair, buy a 'Flagship" rifle and then throw 80% away, just to get it to shoot!

BTW the scope and rings have been swapped out to lower them, a stock riser has been added to line-up my eyeball with scope axis. I have been shooting at 500 yards but spotting bullet impact is very difficult, I know I'm hitting a 16" zone, but nothing more:mad:
I really like my $400 Savage far better!

260 yards~ 2 3 shot groups w/ 270win newscope 009.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice group. I shoot at Tri County and rarely see anyone shot a group like that. Not sure where all the one hole group guys on the Internet shoot, but it isn't at Tri County.

I don't like reloading 3031 powder because it is so darn big, but it sure shoots good. If I was you I would go up and down .3 grains and see what happens, and also go in and out with the seating depth. Have you ever loaded into the lands? You have to be careful with the pressure, but I have found into the lands several thousands is the most accurate in most my guns.

The accuracy bug seems to have it's hooks into you big time.

These were loaded .025" off the lands.

Tonight I'm going to make up some more rounds and I intend to go .4 +/- in .2gr increments. I'll make 3 of each since I'll use the sled next trip out.

3031 is a true love hate relationship. Powder bridging in the drop can really irritate you quick.

I've found that I can get it really close with my Lee powder drop then just trickle in one stick at a time until the scale wobbles between .1 grain then I add one more stick to lock in what I want.

I shoot at ARPC in Albany/Shedd.

I will be interested in your results with the sled. I used to shoot off a similar device called a Bench Master and quit using it when I found I got better results letting the rifle smoothly recoil into my shoulder. The Bench Master would lurch under recoil and it didn't seem to lurch consistently. I now use a Caldwell BR rest (not the best but pretty good) and a Protektor rear rest, and if I pay close attention to my hold and shoulder pressure I get more repeatable and consistent results.

I will be interested in your results with the sled. I used to shoot off a similar device called a Bench Master and quit using it when I found I got better results letting the rifle smoothly recoil into my shoulder. The Bench Master would lurch under recoil and it didn't seem to lurch consistently. I now use a Caldwell BR rest (not the best but pretty good) and a Protektor rear rest, and if I pay close attention to my hold and shoulder pressure I get more repeatable and consistent results.
I've seen the same! PPL spend $100s on a sled and are surprised when the rifle prints MOAs off zero when fired off sand bags by a human marksman!
Sleds suck
stick with your basic sand bag rig!

Last Edited:
Heres my baby, tomorrow I have a trigger tech trigger showing up in the mail, but the group below was shot at 100yd, Loaded, 168gr Hornady A-Max over 39gr of 3031 with a OAL of 2.8 and shot off bipods and a rear bag.

20160101_114818.jpg 20160101_121901.jpg

Verified the load today. Nasty wind coming from 3 o'clock 10-15mph.

We have a winner. This is off of my bipod and a sandbag. I also have NOT cleaned my rifle in the last 50-65 rounds.

• .308 Winchester
  • 175gr AMAX
  • 40gr IMR 3031
  • .025" off of lands
  • Neci size only
  • CCI Large Rifle Magnums
  • Case trim 2.003 +/- .002"

Sadly the 168gr AMAX and Match rounds wouldn't shoot anything close to this.

image.png

Last Edited:
Same conditions with 168gr AMax's

image.jpeg

Terrible. Except my wife says it's fantastic because if I'm shooting an animal it will still it it.

:mad:o_O

Good info thanks.

I have the same rifle, minus mine is not the threaded tactical so I have the 1/12. So far my best results are SMK 168s and Reloader 15 @ 1.56".

I have 3031 may have to load up a few rounds and try it out.

Anyone notice any difference between the Sierra HPBT and Hornady HPBT 168s? If you have tried them that is. I have a box of 500 Hornady I need to try.

@Reno911
Bottom right were 168 Match Hornady (HPBT), I may nab some 168 Sierra's and see how they pattern compared to that.

If they are like the 175's I bet they will do good. I also wouldn't mind seeing the data with a side by side comparison.

I have a R-700 ACC SD w/a SWFA SS 10X, it has the original smooth trigger which is terrible in all respects, like a mile of rough road. Last fall I put in a weaker spring hoping to improve it's performance, a tiny bit better but still a 2 MOA gun. Meanwhile my old Savage 270 shoots sub MOA w/cheap factory ammo. I'm buying a Calvin Elite trigger to eliminate the Rem OEM horror and once I establish it can group sub MOA will work-up a load following the advise here.
Thanks for sharing
I have the same rifle. Have done a lot of work on it and am shooting sub 1/2" groups at 100 yds. The rifle was really a disappointment when I got it but now I love it.

Just fer kicks, here's my .308 Savage 10FP load. [Yeah,I got the dorky 'Ultimate Sniper' stock, Savage.jpg but it dang sure works, and I could afford it!]
I used a OCW type approach to my load development. It's unusual but my OAL is 2.850" (!) and seating tests put a 175gr MK SMK touching the lands at 2.817" (comparator) so that's 0.033", jammed for sure. It's on top of 44.4 gr. Varget in commercial brass run through RCBS full-length, Fed Mag Primer, or Match. Regular 2700 fps with no more than 20fps spread.
Last time I shot for group, I got 1/4 MOA at 300 yds.
300 yd quarter moa.jpeg

Not as fancy as your load though. I've given up on one-holers at 100 yds. After reading Brian Litz's Advanced Long Range Shooting (this guy is literally a rocket scientist and long range shooter) he makes a convincing case that a BT bullet wouldn't stabilize under 200 yrds. But you're putting the test to that one.
For comparison, my shooting buddy at the time was breaking in his new Savage 12 (??) .338 Lapua. He never got one holers at 100yds. but 200 yds was dang close. Different bullet obviously. He also was adamant about seating off the lands no matter what. After 2000 rounds his throat erosion was so bad he had to get a new barrel. My Savage has about the same rounds through it and it seems to really work well with the super-jammed bullet seating.
Goes to show how different every rifle is.

Nice work!

Last Edited:
20150823_115707.jpg My 15 year old son's first time shooting my Rem700
I have a lot to learn about reloading but I think I'm on the right track or he makes me look really good.
The big hole was the first 2 shots.
Off the bench 100 yards.
Bipod, no bags etc 20150823_115707.jpg 20150823_115716.jpg
Me, I'm a little sloppier.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads