JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive been wrestling with this .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical for a few months trying to get a single hole at 100 yards.

The rave was about 168gr Hornady AMax and 168gr Hornady Match ammo. So I gave it a try. With working up powder loads I couldn't get close to a single hole 3 or let alone a 5 shot pattern.

Today I went out and I'm now loading .025" off the lands and using Sierra match kings at 175 grains.

Finally. Success and with a 5 shot group!!

40 gr of IMR 3031, 2.320" from ogive, CCI Magnum primers, no crimp and neck sizing only.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png

I'm a happy camper. Now I need more pills.

Good work there. I settled in on 168r bthp sierras with 43.5gr varget. I found that more closely matched my FedGM Match 168r bthp ammo which shoots well in the PSS for me.

very nice work

how are you prepping brass ?......have done a lot of this and was really surprised at the results of neck tension , trim length etc.

Neck sized only using fire formed brass. Trimmed to 2.003 +\- .003".

Using the ball expander that's on the RCBS sizer only. I think it's .305" ID after sizing so .003" of tension. I could measure and double check.

I hate to say to mess with anything because your rifle is shooting very well , especially for a non bagged "light" gun but if you get board I think you could go "benchrest" prep and find an even smaller group
not sure if your chasing 1 hole or 1 moa though.......don't think your going to find a true 1 hole group off of a bipod

I hate to say to mess with anything because your rifle is shooting very well , especially for a non bagged "light" gun but if you get board I think you could go "benchrest" prep and find an even smaller group
not sure if your chasing 1 hole or 1 moa though.......don't think your going to find a true 1 hole group off of a bipod

I forgot the sled otherwise it would have been locked down tighter than a Nuns.... shoes.

I'm chasing a cloverleaf at a maximum. I need a lighter trigger than the X-Mark to get some human error out of the equation. If shot # 5 wouldn't have flew right and low I would have had a perfect pattern for what I wanted.

Dream: 1000y and 1-2MOA of accuracy.

Actual goal: 800y 1/2-3/4 Accuracy.

If I can do that I'll be happy.

I need to work this load up to ranges now and verify again with the sled.

And @v0lcom13sn0w you knucklehead... I did adjust 1/2 MOA right after I was done shooting. I want +1.5@100.

Beautiful! I am trying to find a load, and seeing as you basically have the same rifle.. minus our stocks are different.. I will be trying that load. I have not gotten much into Ogive loading, would you mind illustrate it for me? I just dont quite understand how to measure it my self.

also.. what app are you using on your phone??

I forgot the sled otherwise it would have been locked down tighter than a Nuns.... shoes.

I'm chasing a cloverleaf at a maximum. I need a lighter trigger than the X-Mark to get some human error out of the equation. If shot # 5 wouldn't have flew right and low I would have had a perfect pattern for what I wanted.

Dream: 1000y and 1-2MOA of accuracy.

Actual goal: 800y 1/2-3/4 Accuracy.

If I can do that I'll be happy.

I need to work this load up to ranges now and verify again with the sled.

And @v0lcom13sn0w you knucklehead... I did adjust 1/2 MOA right after I was done shooting. I want +1.5@100.
1.5@100 is exactly what i do with my 308. My 308 is for hunting though.savage 11 trophy hunter... nothin special. My hunting loads consist of FL sized brass 46.0gr BLC2 and a 165gr NOS BT. 2.800" shoots good groups as far as my standards go. furthest shot was a milk jug at 450 yards. anything further i just dont have the optic to do so; the gun will go farther for sure though.

That group appears to be one slightly ragged hole and MOA!
Very nice group, Dyjital! I agree that shooting off bags would tighten it up a tad but I get that you're shooting it as it is intended to be used. Congrats!:)

Beautiful! I am trying to find a load, and seeing as you basically have the same rifle.. minus our stocks are different.. I will be trying that load. I have not gotten much into Ogive loading, would you mind illustrate it for me? I just dont quite understand how to measure it my self.

also.. what app are you using on your phone??

Ballistic AE on iPhone

As far as measuring maximum OAL... I ended up buying a OAL gauge by Hornady.
See this video:

If you want we can get together and get you some measurements using my tools.

@tarster
Not sure of the OAL. The inconsistencies on the points of the bullet will give different results.

Using the comparator it was 2.320", but to the tip.... Dunno.

Each rifle must be measured to find it's perfect length.

I just wish there was an easier way to measure it without investing another 60 - 80 dollars in comparator stuff.. but then again.. I guess if you want to make a single hole you have to spend the money.

I just wish there was an easier way to measure it without investing another 60 - 80 dollars in comparator stuff.. but then again.. I guess if you want to make a single hole you have to spend the money.

Most expensive piece was the OAL gauge. Then all that's needed is the comparator with the .30 bushing. I can go through it with you using my stuff if you want. Set up dies etc.

I have a R-700 ACC SD w/a SWFA SS 10X, it has the original smooth trigger which is terrible in all respects, like a mile of rough road. Last fall I put in a weaker spring hoping to improve it's performance, a tiny bit better but still a 2 MOA gun. Meanwhile my old Savage 270 shoots sub MOA w/cheap factory ammo. I'm buying a Calvin Elite trigger to eliminate the Rem OEM horror and once I establish it can group sub MOA will work-up a load following the advise here.
Thanks for sharing

My full data sheet. 20 rounds shot on this paper. Bet you can't find all 20...

image.jpeg

do you still have it in the houge stock that it shipped with? I put mine into the hunter 700 stock and I have a trigger tech trigger coming for it, should be here friday and I hope that will help the some. I am shooting about 1 moa roughly with the stock trigger though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top