JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dyjital, I had a few thoughts on what might put your new load into a one hole group. There are a few last variables you could eliminate (if you haven't already)
  • Weighing and sizing your bullets would create some uniformity and consistency by cherry picking bullets from your batch that are as equal in all dimensions to each other as possible.
  • But even before you size your bullets, using a meplat uniformer would eliminate, (when used with a regular hand after some practice) the variance that HP match bullets have in their points (like you said, the tips are unreliably different. I've found as much as 0.010 and sometimes more among a box of SMK's). Even though you're measuring from the ogive with a comparator, that doesn't change the variances in the hollow point and OAL, which creates variance in your ballistic coefficient from round to round.
So what all these extra steps would do is create bullets of uniform size, weight, and ballistic coefficient. This would also mean that your bullets would seat even more identically from the uniformed meplat, not only giving you much less variance in OAL, but also make your pressure consistent from round to round. Uniforming meplats will slightly reduce your b.c., but the gain of having a regular b.c. that leads to repeatable accuracy is easily adjusted for when you get your new d.o.p.e.

So you may already know about these techniques. They add extra steps and work; I don't employ them regularly (not in my AR-10 rounds anyways). But when shooting for extreme accuracy in bolt guns and bench style shooting, these are steps competitors take to make their rounds consistent. And consistency (eliminating variables) leads to repeatable performance and then not only accuracy, but precision.

Hope this helps~

P.S. I realize the bullet seater works on the ogive, not from the tip, but either meplat pointing or uniforming still has it's advantages, giving a (potentially) consistent b.c. Usually these steps are taken when shooting long range, as that's where the differences really show, but if you wanted to pull out all the stops in getting a single hole group, than look for variables you can eliminate, as well as standardize your steps in your reloading and shooting so to create consistency in all aspects possible.

Last Edited:
So I got my new triggertech Trigger in my 308 on friday and took it out on saturday, I need to do a little work on some flyers, but here are some of my groups with the 40gr of 3031 and an OAL of 2.850 and 175gr barnes matchburners, I dropped by sportsmans warehouse on friday and they didnt have any sierra matchkings but there was a girl selling girl scout cookies :)

4 shot group with flyer is .800 and without the flyer its a 3 shot group at .42 @100yd

I did find out that I need to lengthen my bullets out for sure, I think it would help on my 168gr amax loads also.. I ran those 175gr at 2.8 oal, 2.825 and 2.850 and there was quite a difference between the lengths at 100yd.

20160220_183653.jpg

Nice.

Yes we need to get together and measure your chamber.

I just bought a pull gauge and measured my trigger. I was doing all of that on 3lbs. So I dropped it down after measuring to a more comfortable 2.5. May smooth the stock trigger a little to take it further down to 2lbs

@tarster I bought the last box the other day of MatchKings. Was just at Cabelas in Eugene and they had some.. More than Sportsmans by $1.50... So I didn't buy any.

So I got my new triggertech Trigger in my 308 on friday and took it out on saturday, I need to do a little work on some flyers, but here are some of my groups with the 40gr of 3031 and an OAL of 2.850 and 175gr barnes matchburners, I dropped by sportsmans warehouse on friday and they didnt have any sierra matchkings but there was a girl selling girl scout cookies :)

4 shot group with flyer is .800 and without the flyer its a 3 shot group at .42 @100yd

I did find out that I need to lengthen my bullets out for sure, I think it would help on my 168gr amax loads also.. I ran those 175gr at 2.8 oal, 2.825 and 2.850 and there was quite a difference between the lengths at 100yd.

View attachment 279467

Technical specs of your group:
image.jpeg

Dang, that is some app you have Dyjital!
You have to place the markers over the holes and properly scale the target but that's it.

Ballistic: Advanced Edition - JBM Ballistics Trajectory Calculator, Rangefinder & Target Shooting Log by Peak Studios LLC
https://appsto.re/us/yS0es.i

I don't use the app to its fullest but well worth what I spent. The only ballistic program I use for tables and log records.

You have to place the markers over the holes and properly scale the target but that's it.

Ballistic: Advanced Edition - JBM Ballistics Trajectory Calculator, Rangefinder & Target Shooting Log by Peak Studios LLC
https://appsto.re/us/yS0es.i

I don't use the app to its fullest but well worth what I spent. The only ballistic program I use for tables and log records.
Yeah, I use the JBM site quite a bit. It's one of the best ones, as well as G7 but I think it was down last time I checked. It seems that a lot of bullet manufacturers are selling ballistic programs now and in some time when some of them emerge as being best rated, I may put the money in for one. The main thing I read about that they lack is a well thought out reload data format that is integrated with it's specific ballistic data products. I've gotten proficient at using Excel spread sheets for storing my reload data with ballistic results from JBM that I cut and paste into the worksheets.

@OutlawHoss
Not sure if this is what you are asking...

The newest version or one of the newer versions rolled out this screen when making our data for reloads:
image.png

I use Excel to store my load data (a little ocd at times), this will help me keep smaller changes linked with what load did what. Even though I write it on paper targets when I'm done.

So many options... I prefer paper and a pencil except when making calculations, that's what the computer is for.

I've been playing with the reticle range finding fields. I uploaded a photo of my reticle from Vortex and marked bottom etc telling how many MOA it was from bottom to center then it gave me my 0-800y drop based on target sizes.
image.jpeg

@OutlawHoss

The newest version or one of the newer versions rolled out this screen when making our data for reloads:
View attachment 279622

I use Excel to store my load data (a little ocd at times), this will help me keep smaller changes linked with what load did what. Even though I write it on paper targets when I'm done.

So many options... I prefer paper and a pencil except when making calculations, that's what the computer is for.

I've been playing with the reticle range finding fields. I uploaded a photo of my reticle from Vortex and marked bottom etc telling how many MOA it was from bottom to center then it gave me my 0-800y drop based on target sizes.
View attachment 279621

I hadn't even thought of those kinds of analytics, I was just thinking of linked data between reload info and it's ballistic performance, maybe a a chart tracking changes with load tweaks, and maybe some formalae that correlates powder charges with velocities to get to know the powder better. I really couldn't say exactly what I'm looking for or what the most ideal software would offer 'cause I'm used to my limited set of data; but am curious to see what comes out. You have to know I don't even have a cell phone, so my 7+ year laptop is about as fancy as I get!

Reticle range finder...

View attachment 279625

Holy cow! Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want that. It looks fascinating, and like any guy I love new gadgetry, but I still use a topo and compass for hunt/scouting, and my mil-dot master slide calculator is completely sufficient. I like to keep the 'old reliable's' in use. Ballistic software on my laptop is as much as I think I would really use anyway. Not saying one way is better, just personal preference.

@OutlawHoss

View attachment 279622

View attachment 279621
That looks like something I would use on my computer. I too take my notes at the range in a composition notebook that is solely used for a single rifle's ballistic and load data, as well as round count and performance notes. Plugging it all into a software program to get data products is the fun part after the range and it does produce valuable analysis, but learning to adjust for conditions in the field I practice with as little extra's as possible. Sort of an 'educated Kentucky' orientation that gives me more time on the gun and trigger, and gets my skill and competency up without having to leave my cheek weld.

200y pattern today.

image.jpeg

Found out I am shooting very low on velocity. 2200fps-ish to go from +1.5" at 100 down to -3" at 200. Must now work up powder charge to get velocity up with accuracy.

is that with the 40gr of 3031 load? super nice group non the less.
Yeah, same loading. Just lacking in the velocity. I'll fix it. Thinking I'll pull apart the ones I have made already (25~) and ladder them up for the weekend.

so according to my app on android, strelok+ that load at 40gr should be something close to 2550 fps out of a max of 2650fps at the 41gr 3031 out of the barrel and according to strelok+ the retained velocity at 200 yd should be close to 2030fps so that sounds pretty right in line.

Not to complicate things, Tarster, but if you know you're developing a load for hunting, and you're hunting in Western Oregon (or in PNW temperate/rainforest/boreal type forest and mixed conifer + hardwood woodlands like we have down here), I never hear many people make shots over 100 yards, and where I go here in SW, it's 60 yards at most. The point being is a flat-base bullet, spitzer type nose, will stabilize sooner and be more accurate under 200 yards and best at 100 yards (generally, its not written in stone as Dyjital is showing). But that may be immaterial as you'll get an accurate group at 100 yds with a BTHP match type bullet, and that looks like what you're after. Personally, I find the most data for match .308 shooting involves fps around 2700, which the iconic M118LR (I think, if memory serves) clocks at. And of course, every gun is different and your accuracy powder load, fps, and bullet seating will be very specific to your gun. For what it's worth-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top