JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also, if these take special rechargeable batteries, how long could you use them after SHTF to say keep a neighborhood patrol going? I woukd rather them take AAs so I can have a ton.

They use rechargeable lithium batteries that hold a charge for a long time when not used. They are not so large that you cannot recharge them with a portable solar panel. Some HTs use non-rechargeable batteries as an option, but lithium-ion batteries have a high energy density so they are used more often for small lightweight electronics.

Also, if these take special rechargeable batteries, how long could you use them after SHTF to say keep a neighborhood patrol going? I would rather them take AAs so I can have a ton.

Wise man and good call! They do make both dirt cheap AA and AAA adapters. Everyone with a Baofeng 5Ra should have several. Get a solar charger and some eneloops or Laddas and you're gold when SHTF. As plastic has quite a bit of movement even with moisture alone (it swells when humidity is high and shrinks and becomes brittle with dry), and precision isn't a Chinese strong points, get a couple.

BaoFeng BF-UV5R Walkie Talkie Speaker Extended 6x AA Battery Case Shell Pack NEW | eBay

New 6X AAA Extended Battery Case Box for BAOFENG UV-5R 5RA 5RB 5RC 5RD 5RE+ | eBay

Last Edited:
Wise man and good call! They do make both dirt cheap AA and AAA adapters. Everyone with a Baofeng 5Ra should have several. Get a solar charger and some eneloops or Laddas and you're gold when SHTF. As plastic has quite a bit of movement even with moisture alone (it swells when humidity is high and shrinks and becomes brittle with dry), and precision isn't a Chinese strong points, get a couple.

BaoFeng BF-UV5R Walkie Talkie Speaker Extended 6x AA Battery Case Shell Pack NEW | eBay

New 6X AAA Extended Battery Case Box for BAOFENG UV-5R 5RA 5RB 5RC 5RD 5RE+ | eBay
This makes it for me. Thanks. Unfortunatly the price just jumped up. If it comes down in the next few weeks I might pick it up.

Sounds like these could be a decent investment for basic emergency radios. May have to pull the trigger on this one while they're available. Likely better than the handheld CB type radios I have now.
I've bought a couple, and really like them. For what you pay (~$25 each), you get an amazing radio. I got a GMRS license, so I can use repeaters, and I can sometimes talk on the radio when I don't have cell reception. I've programmed in the FRS/GMRS frequencies, so I can talk to my kids on their walkie talkies when we're camping or whatever.

Maybe I need a couple more. .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads