JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just wanted to confirm as well that yes CHL holders now have priority, but you DO NOT have to present said CHL at the time of purchase to receive the benefits as your DL/ID is linked with your CHL. A step in the right direction? yes. But incomplete until CHL holders are exempt from BGC altogether in my opinion.

Just wanted to confirm as well that yes CHL holders now have priority, but you DO NOT have to present said CHL at the time of purchase to receive the benefits as your DL/ID is linked with your CHL. A step in the right direction? yes. But incomplete until CHL holders are exempt from BGC altogether in my opinion.

I can confirm as well. I picked up a transfer yesterday. There was another guy already waiting for his background check to go through. He was 17-18 in line. Mine cleared and was ready to go and he was still 7-8 in line.

Some that don't have a CHL are already getting ticked off that others have priority over them. Maybe this will inspire more to obtain one, not that you should be required to have a permit in the first place.

There also seems to be a "go to the front of the queue" thing if you are buying a rifle vs. a handgun. I've seen that at shows, and it happened to me too. Everyone left standing around still waiting were buying handguns and anyone walking up and buying a rifle went to the front of the online queue.

First of all the guy at the shop I just picked a pistol up from said that the beginning of last month the process changed and then I saw my name go straight to the top of the list.

What is the wait time on a suppressor or stamp I guess would be correct?
avg wait time is 4-6 months according to NFA tracker

Did a private sale 2 weeks ago, on a Wednesday, about 4:00pm. Buyer had a CHL, wait time was about 1 hour. This was just days after Orlando, so I chalked it up to post-Orlando panic buying. But I was very surprised, as was the buyer, for a mid-week transaction, in the middle of the afternoon, that it would take that long. Other than that event, any transactions I've done since the new rule went in to place have all been very quick.

I don't have a permit (need to get one, just been busy).

Last purchase - a transfer - a couple of weeks ago on a weekend - it took about 5 to ten minutes once the FFL called in.

I can see how someone with a permit would go to the head of the line as it is likely they just do a cursory check, if anything, to see if no red flags have been thrown up since the permit BGC.

First purchase:
40 minutes before they called the store.
Entered into queue at 3 of a few..

2nd: 5 minutes

Second purchase I went into queue at #2 of 5.

Can't believe I didn't post here that with my Idaho carry permit ,they don't do a nics check.
I give them the card,they write it down, I walk out with the gun
Sorry,I won't rub it in your faces:rolleyes:o_O
:eek:
:D
Mike from a free state.

Last Edited:
Folks at the shop I picked up my rifle from on Friday said it bumped me to the top of the list even though I haven't recieved my license in hand yet.

They figured it was because I already had my appointment & the county ran my background & filed it with OSP.

Did a long gun transfer & pistol purchase today with same (near instant) clear time.

Has anyone noticed if having any sort of nursing or medical license speeds things up? A friend of mine brought up the observation that he's not seen anyone with something like an RN or CNA license not be instantly approved.

Bought a receiver yesterday, thought with a big gun show in town it would be a couple hours for my "instant" background check. After my info was entered online I was told I was #9 in line, not complaining, I asked how that could be and was asked if I had a concealed permit. I do, and was told that effective May 1st CHL holders are moved ahead of non holders in the line. I was out the door in 5 minutes. Anyone else heard about this?
After purchasing my last firearm in early June, I overheard the clerk telling someone they had been moved up the list because they have a CHL. My appointment can't come soon enough.

This is on the FICS website:

"PROGRAMMING THAT WILL PULL BACKGROUND CHECK TRANSACTIONS ASSOCIATED WITH A
VALID AND CURRENT CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE (CHL) HOLDER TO THE TOP OF THE QUEUE FOR PROCESSING. THIS CHANGE IS THE RESULT OF A LEGISLATIVE REQUEST."

How do we find out who made the Legislative request? We should find out who the legislator was and thank them

I have a CHL in two states. Employee at my FFL commented that my background check comes through basically instantly (5 transfers there all types) and the store owner (probably the FFL holder) it often takes an hour or two. I'd guess common names, someone else using your SSN at some point, petty crimes might make a difference. About 8 years prior I had a rash of 3 day holds and no responses in another state. My name is pretty uncommon and I have a clean record, I'd like to think it pays off, but I suspect the system/employees are just moody. I wonder if gender makes a difference. I'd almost would think that womens purchases would be screened more since someone might be pressuring them for a straw purchase.

Yup, I bought my SA 1911 Wednesday, and asked the clerk if it was true about getting bumped up the list with a chl, (which I have) and she said definitely. I had already handed her my driver's license when I asked, so she asked for my chl too and wrote its info in the same form fields as the driver's license. I was entered and immediately was 2 of 10, then 1 of 13, then approved. Quickest transaction in recent memory.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top