JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last February at the Albany Gun Show, i bought a CZ-85 Combat and was told by the Seller that the BGC would take hours. But after 10 minutes i was good to go. The Seller had no good explanation for it. I never mentioned my CHL.

Maybe the CHL "policy" started earlier than we think.

Their software has some work to be done. Two weeks ago, I bought a gun, the wait list was 25 deep, but with my CLH, I was put in the #1 position. BUT, watching the progress, two other CHLs were put on the list, pushing me down to #3. We figured any CHL (or maybe LE) places you in the number one spot. The next CHL then gets the #1 spot and so on. If the examiners are slow and if there are a lot of purchasers with CHLs, its a fight for the #1 position. ;)

I had a transaction today, and I was under review almost instantly. In and out in maybe 15 minutes. Fastest ever. And I did not show my CHL.

I asked about needing to show your CHL, because I did know about the faster check times, and was told that they linked the info in the system. Before you could run either an ODL or a CHL, now just a driver's license and you're good to go.

Last one I did, I asked if they wanted to see my CHL, or DPSST, and they said no. It was very quick. Maybe 5 minutes. It took longer for them to type in the info, than the actual check took. My guess is that since I have an UN-usual name, it goes quicker. If you have a more common name, like Jack Smith, or something, it might take longer. Heaven forbid, if you have a name that matches a wanted criminal......

Talked to Tim at Tigard Pawn - he did confirm as of about 2 weeks ago, the new rule was put in place. He noted a recent day where he had 3 folks come in for transfers back to back. First guy was a CHL holder - 4 folks in the OSP queue already, and apparently none were CHL holders because he was bumped to #1, second guy comes in behind him, no CHL and drops to 5 of 5, third guy comes in as #1 clears the queue, he has a CHL and bumps to #1 as well, meanwhile the second guy is still in the queue and has now dropped down to #8 of 8 because of the CHL holders in front of him.

I asked if he knew how this came about, he said someone, he believes it may have been a pawn shop in Salem, really rattled the cage of his legislator over long waits post SB941 and apparently the legislator set this new rule up with the OSP.

So while I don't like that we have to have CHL's, or BGC's, I guess this could be considered good news for many of us. And in these times, in this state, that's not something you hear often.

I bought a receiver yesterday started at #3 and was out the door in less than 15 minutes, no CHL. Of course a Tuesday lunch hour may not be an optimal shopping time for most so wait time is probably negligible. :D

My sources tell me it was about gaming the system and getting productivity numbers up. A CHL is almost like having pre-clearance. If you have a bunch of checks with CHLs, your percieved throughput looks greater. The dealer told me customer satisfaction is going down because of the next CHL becomes #1 software logic.

Stuff like this where administrators make these decisions and there is no test cases. If you tell programmers you need all screens to have a zebra striped background, they will make all screens with zebra striped backgrounds. This is a case where a requirement was mandated, but there were no test cases defined.;)

Bought a receiver yesterday, thought with a big gun show in town it would be a couple hours for my "instant" background check. After my info was entered online I was told I was #9 in line, not complaining, I asked how that could be and was asked if I had a concealed permit. I do, and was told that effective May 1st CHL holders are moved ahead of non holders in the line. I was out the door in 5 minutes. Anyone else heard about this?
The other day I stopped by Fishermans. The guy behind the counter was complaint that it kept kicking non CHL holders, his waiting customer included, to the back of the line.

Bought a receiver yesterday, thought with a big gun show in town it would be a couple hours for my "instant" background check. After my info was entered online I was told I was #9 in line, not complaining, I asked how that could be and was asked if I had a concealed permit. I do, and was told that effective May 1st CHL holders are moved ahead of non holders in the line. I was out the door in 5 minutes. Anyone else heard about this?
Yes, this is the official policy of OSP now. Most dealers received an email notification about the policy change. So now while people who are already likely to have guns get moved to the head of the line, people who do not, and may need them in life threatening situations can still be jerked around forever.

I know for a fact that the legislature signed off on emergency funding for OSP background checks effective the first of the month. This may have been one of the conditions.

re: "May 1st CHL holders are moved ahead of non holders in the line. I was out the door in 5 minutes. Anyone else heard about this?"
The last I heard there was such a bill, but axed by

Senator Floyd Prozanski
Party: Democrat
of District 4, Eugene. At least that's what the OFF posting was.

And just last week I got a call from a FFL dealer I purchased from in FEBRUARY, that my approval had just come through. Really. He had an entertaining story to tell.

And I *HAVE* the curious Oregon CHL, for the last 30 years.

I don't have many guns but I've gotten instant approval on every purchase and I've only had my CHL for a few months. Last black Friday sale I was told the wait time was 2-3 hours and then the guy says "wait you got instant approval" I'm curious why but not complaining. Had a lot of gun buyers giving me the stink eye as I walked away with a gun while they all waited.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top