JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IIRC, the .38 Super was prominent because of some super-hot handloads--though the basic original spec was hot enough to punch through a steel "Detroit Dinosaur" car door, hence its popularity in Prohibition-era gangster circles. Hmmm... I wonder what a .38 Super TSMG would do?
Apparently a few tommy guns were chambered for .38 Super..as well as Ingram Model 6s.... good question. The case is only a little bit longer than a normal 9mm Parabellum, right? Might be interesting to see someone ream out a 10-14" AR9 barrel for the .38 Super +P and then do a little work...use 1911 magazine type... see how hot and how good it does ballistically?

Next step would be to lengthen the .38 Super to .45 ACP length, like neck down a .450SMC/.45 Super case and load it hot...
Actually, .38 Super and .45 ACP have VERY similar case lengths; .45ACP is shorter by .002 case length than .38 super's case length... (0.900 .38 Super, 0.898, .45ACP)
Huge difference in case capacities due to the fatter diameter of the .45acp though.

Using a .308 case and necking to .38/9mm and trimmed to 25mm, maybe 26mm for better bullet seating; with the diameter of the case being bigger than a 10mm, I would have to say the ballistics of it would be much more impressive than even a 9x25 Dillion out of a carbine barrel?
EDIT: I think it may be plausible for this hypothetical round to actually perform the same as a .357 magnum in a rimless and bottlenecked cartridge.... if the case capacity stays around 26 grains or so?

My friend and I have be bsing about something like a .338 caliber something from whatever big case....call it 338 Lamentations....... lol. Only problem? What large bore cases has not already been necked down or opened up to .338 diameter bullets?

Your milage may vary but I did not see the benefit over a 6 mm Remington. Sold my rifle a long time ago. If you get it let us know your thoughts please.

I have no preconceived notions with the exception of one. The gun belongs to my best friend's uncle who is "considering" selling his guns (he's now in a nursing home). The rifle is gorgeous. Beautiful blue with a thumbhole stock of dark, figured, glossy wood (think old Browning bowling ball finish glossy). My friend really likes it, but being as ammo isn't available to shoot it, I have a good chance of picking it up. I assume that it will exceed 243 Win velocities, which aren't shabby to start with.
Either way, if I get a chance to load for it, I'll break out the chrono and we'll see what it can do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top