JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny, even though I have one of those, don't tell anyone, but I don't consider that a pistol.

I'm thinking extra large version of something already stupid, like the Desert Eagle.
ATF calls a firearm a pistol if its got a rifled barrel under 16" and does not have a shoulder stock.. and an OAL inder 26" :rolleyes:

Perhaps the appearance would need to be more closer to that of a Mauser C96 or perhaps a "bullpup" version in which the mag is behind the grip? Hey theres a concept, since u now can have a legit real wrist brace w the magazine in the same area!:rolleyes:

Only a cheap 9mm shooting sissy would think the 40 is gone.

Cheap .45ACP shooting sissy here, thank you very much.;)

As far as .40, you can't deny its not as popular as it was 15-20 years ago, but like I said, its certainly not going anywhere.

And I have a general disdain for "compromise" calibers in general. .40, all the AR 15 calibers besides 5.56, etc were just invented to solve nonexistent problems and separate suckers from their money:)

As far as .40, you can't deny its not as popular as it was 15-20 years ago, but like I said, its certainly not going anywhere.

And I have a general disdain for "compromise" calibers in general. .40, all the AR 15 calibers besides 5.56, etc were just invented to solve nonexistent problems and separate suckers from their money:)
All calibers and cartridges are compromises between hitting power/lethality, sizes, recoil forces, number of rounds carried, ability of the human behind the trigger, and trajectories.

Why Im not a 308 fan. 30 caliber bullets were meant to go at least 3000 fps.

On topic..... .38 Super....still around, mostly sold south of the Border (because its "not military":rolleyes:) Used to be a prime round in Major Power shooting matches (IPsomething?), but now overshadowed by other rounds.....

I do wonder what a .38 Super does out of a 16" barrel...if they are pretty fast out of 6" barrels....
Should be similar to a .357, so around 1900 ft./sec.
ME would then be a little over 1000 ft./lbs., due to the Super's lighter bullet.
.38 Super in a lightweight Commander used to be a wanted gun.

Dean

Ahhh...who needs cartridges when you got Powder , Patch and Ball....? :D
Andy
DSC06824.jpg

Very neat-o. Did you add the artistic tacks?

Thanks
Yes and no...
On the upper gun , a mostly original Northwest Tradegun...the lock ( dated 1837 ) , barrel , furniture are all antique...the original stock was rotted beyond repair so it is new...but...
The rawhide "repair" wrap and tacks are placed where they were on the original stock...tacks are antique , wrap is new.

The lower rifle ( circa 1840's ) is all original and still shoots good....tacks are period and were put on "back in the day".
Andy

Thanks
Yes and no...
On the upper gun , a mostly original Northwest Tradegun...the lock ( dated 1837 ) , barrel , furniture are all antique...the original stock was rotted beyond repair so it is new...but...
The rawhide "repair" wrap and tacks are placed where they were on the original stock...tacks are antique , wrap is new.

The lower rifle ( circa 1840's ) is all original and still shoots good....tacks are period and were put on "back in the day".
Andy

Very neat. Both of those rifles inspire the "if this old rifle could talk ..." thought. :)

Very neat. Both of those rifles inspire the "if this old rifle could talk ..." thought. :)

Yes they do.
On the bottom rifle , this is carved :
"Bill Willyums , His Rifle "
Now there was a mountain man named Bill Williams...this rifle came from the area where he trapped and was killed....it is also from the time period.....
Two things :
One , Bill Williams was literate and knew how to spell his name...
And two , I am not saying that this rifle was in fact his rifle....but there are many things about it , that make one wonder.
I keep promising that I am going to do a write up of this rifle....one day soon....
Andy

It is all about timing and perception. The 284 was a cartridge ahead of it's time. It is not so different than the current belle of the ball, the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top