JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I grew up in Vancouver, off 162 / 39 area (Evergreen '86, btw) not too far from the EP. When I was a kid the pit was open to anyone. There wasn't a fence around it and it was just a place before the dump where you could shoot. Later they put a fence around it and then a range master. The very first RO was a total friggin dick! I remember when they started charging and him trying to get my brother and I to pay to go in. Being shocked they were not charging admission, we laughed and said we'd go up to Larch. He yelled at us saying we couldn't shoot up there anymore and we had better just stay at the EP or go home!!:s0114: I haven't been back in probably 25 years and have read from time to time on various local boards the people keep having similar experiences I had.

That range up close to Larch (forget the name) is GTG though. I've been there a few times and had good experiences. Great RO and willing to teach new shooters the ways and rules of range shooting.

Well I'm the "tattooed guy" everyone is referring to.

Let me start by saying I apologize if you felt you were treated rudely at the range.

That being said I think it was said very well above I am not a Walmart greeter. I am the guy responsible for everyone's safety at the range. So yes I can be abrupt and or short at times. I deal with everyone from first time gun owners to the guy who has been shooting his whole life and thinks he doesn't need to read or listen to the range introduction. So as Randy said a prior incident may roll over in my attitude to another guest.

If you come in again introduce yourself and I will gladly talk to you about any issue you have with the range, its operation and or me and try to resolve the issue.

I don't know you and have never met or seen you but I feel your pain. I also have several large tattoos and my size can be very intimidating. I also used to bounce at a club downtown. I think I was tossed into the irrationally feared category. What people don't know is that I volunteer for boy scouts, sing in my church choir and volunteer with the elderly.
I'm not trying to say I'm a saint. I'm just sayin don't judge a book by it's cover. Like the guy said he has to be a jerk sometimes to provide safety and he is not a machine and takes some time to cool off.

I don't know you and have never met or seen you but I feel your pain. I also have several large tattoos and my size can be very intimidating. I also used to bounce at a club downtown. I think I was tossed into the irrationally feared category. What people don't know is that I volunteer for boy scouts, sing in my church choir and volunteer with the elderly.
I'm not trying to say I'm a saint. I'm just sayin don't judge a book by it's cover. Like the guy said he has to be a jerk sometimes to provide safety and he is not a machine and takes some time to cool off.

<<hug>>
:)

I went out to English Pit last week and the "tattooed guy" seemed friendly enough to me. But even if he was rude (which he wasn't) I wouldn't really care, I'm there to shoot not make best friends.

You know honestly I have never been to a range before outside of the USAF some thirty years ago ...I would love to get with a few of you and maybe glean some knowledge, I don't want to offend anyone or make any "newbie" mistakes but I want to shoot sometime soon ..
I understand the guys situation being misunderstood I am not exactly a little guy and before I went into technology I worked a lot in sales, many would judge me by my size and make snap judgments but when you are dealing with the public it can be a challenge..
but I want to add this as I am also a spiritual person, just like with new believers I would say when you see people are new shooters, be thankful for them I am one and let me tell you the more guys like me that you convert into new shooters the more we don't have to fight for the rights of gun ownership, like anything fellowship and glean from each other and share were you can, stop treating this like its some secret knowledge before it becomes the law that that is all it is..

I understand the guys situation being misunderstood I am not exactly a little guy and before I went into technology I worked a lot in sales, many would judge me by my size and make snap judgments but when you are dealing with the public it can be a challenge..

Yeah, I can feel your pain. People also judge me by my size-but I'm kinda like Hoss Cartwright-big on the outside-a teddy bear inside.

I have to say WOW!!
this is my first post on this forums, and I also went to the English Pit for the first time last week!!
after reading this complete thread, it seems to have quite a history!

having never heard of The Pit before, or knowing of this forums existance,
I had a GREAT time shooting almost 500 rds. through my scoped 44mag!!

it was a Nice sunny day!, the RSO (or guy in the shack at the top of the hill)
was VERY nice and talkative! i almost had the place to myself, there were a couple other pistol shooters who were also nice, and courteous! i dont remember his name, or anything that stood out about him, beard mayby?

the admission is reasonable espically since you dont have to buy the range ammo!!!

I really want to make use of the chrono i heard about on the web page, i need to check my hand-loads dammit!:s0114: i guess it is a hassle to set up:confused:

anyway i HIGHLY reccomend it!:s0155:
good people, nice facilities, very organized
thanks for beiing there!!!:D

it was a Nice sunny day!, the RSO (or guy in the shack at the top of the hill)
was VERY nice and talkative! i almost had the place to myself, there were a couple other pistol shooters who were also nice, and courteous! i dont remember his name, or anything that stood out about him, beard mayby?
Sounds like Doug, he's a nice fella.

Interesting thread! I have been to the English Pit four our five times with my 11 year old son. We have shot at the pistol, .22 and centerfire rifle range. The very first time we went, we told the guy collecting money that it was our first visit, and that my 11 year old was just getting started. He was extremely helpful and we had a great time. Each time we have been back, we have been impressed by how nice everyone has been, both the staff and other shooters. We will definitely visit often.

Nothing wrong with English Pit as far as I am concerned it has the typical problem that all ranges have, and that is some people forget and think they are somewhere out in the woods and they seem to forget that when you pay your fifteen dollars you cannot do just what you want.
The people who are operating the range are basically responsible for everyones safety. If there is an accident guess who is first in line for the liability. They pay big insurance premiums for the customer's protection, thus they need to have the big brother attitude to protect themselves from lawsuits that happen out of insurance claims and the rest of the crap that falls out of the sky when things go south. I could be mistaken but I believe there are less than a half dozen companys in the USA that will underwrite range insurance. So it looks to me like one doughball could put you out of business and then you are still stuck with your lease contract and payments plus dealing with possible tailgate lawsuits. Not the kind of business I would want to be in. Anyone who has a lot of experiance on here in dealing with the public knows that a certain percentage of your customers are a pain in the a$$.
I have seen people come to the range and say; "I am ex military" and on and on and then you see them sweep people with a weapon, loaded! An off safe weapon pointed down at the concrete with their kid standing next to them. I said something to a doughball some time ago and his remark was; "Oh I am Ex Black Ops" Now without going there that's crap! He made that remark to the wrong person.

So after all this above if you think you were abused you go talk to Jeff instead of bubbleguming about it and hurting a business. Put yourself in their shoes and I started bad mouthing your establishment AND putting it on Google.
Man up and take your problem to Jeff. As far as I am concerned he is a pretty decent guy. He has helped me with my shooting and ask nothing in return.

mjd.

After an absence of at least a year, I went out to English Pit today with some pistols and a rifle. Randy was manning the booth, and I found him to be very friendly and helpful. The range rules are common sense and easy to follow. My fellow shooters worked together to coordinate range hot and cold times, so there was no issues with safety. I enjoyed the experience and plan on going back :s0155:.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top